Everyone except me sucks!

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by iDave, Nov 5, 2004.

1. iDave

iDave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    -
  2. harpoon

harpoon Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rolleyes Another MM. :lol3

Trying to pull together a local D/S ride but it is way up in the air at the moment.
  3. ddlewis

ddlewis Long timer

Oddometer:
    DS ride tomorrow morning starting about 9:00 am from the Crabtree Falls Parking lot off Rt 56. Just down the hill from Montebello Store. Just show up. Maybe you could do it on the strom, if not it should be very entertaining anyway... for me:thumb

Hey I have a good friend who lives in Sterling and rides a VTX. His name is Tom. Do you know him?
  4. harpoon

harpoon Long timer

Oddometer:

I might be there on the DR if I can't get these lame dicks in C'ville together :evil
  5. CityClip

CityClip Upgraded to Scooterdom

Oddometer:
    I was trying to pull something together for Saturday 9:00am starting in haymarket. Come up north. I checked that location. 3.5 hours from DC. I won't be able to make it.
  6. Jack90210

Jack90210 quia ego nominor leo

Oddometer:
    You rang? :huh
  7. harpoon

harpoon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is this a loop? Trying to figure if I'd trailer the dr down (hold off with the mud slinging about the trailer YFFs, trying to save my tires and have ridden enough miles this year to justify a few pulls!)
  8. harpoon

harpoon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have the KLR? If you want to hook up and go meet these noobs, lemme know, like soon.
  9. sherpa

sherpa ...Robert

Oddometer:
    Now that's a Lame Dick excuse...specially from the holder of the TC :D
  10. Jack90210

Oddometer:
    I'm picking it up tomorrow morning. Never ridden a DS before so it might be better for me to get a little practice in the local sandbox before I try to follow someone offroad. How's that for lame dick? :ymca

Of course, I could always take the CBR1000 ... :rofl
  11. ddlewis

ddlewis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, loop. We're trailering from Richmond so we'll be back where we started by the end of the day. hopefully. The 2 guys that REALLY know their way around up there bailed. Hope to see you there.:nod I'll pm you w/ a cell number.
  12. harpoon

harpoon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well Shrep, major tire distributors can't get tires here quick enough for the former potentate.

Thumpy, Grimm boy and I will be there.
  13. ddlewis

ddlewis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man I feel like I screwed you guys! Wish I could've talked to you before you left. Sorry for taking you up that goatpath. It was a shortcut. :evil No, really it was tougher steeper and more loose than I remember. "Gene the noob" had no hope of getting up there and it wasn't a good idea for your big bikes either.

When I came back down to look for you guys I found Gene all hot and sweaty struggling w/ his upside down bike on that real steep part. Lonnie said, "those two guys said 'tell that jackass from the internet that we're done w/ this bs' and they headed back to big trail". Then they called me 'The Internet Jackass' the rest of the day.:D

So I went haulng back down the trail to find you to tell you it was just a little further till we hit hardpack and asphalt but y'all were gone and I wasn't sure which way. So rode down the backside of the mountain, took dirt/asphalt to Lowesville for a burger. A very kick-ass burger from this little gas station - convenience store - game weigh station that we already knew about. Then another killer dirt fireroad (big wide and flat) to the top of another mountain where there's a microwave tower, rocky outcrop and a killer view. Anyway it would've been great after that one rough bit. Sorry I didn't tell you the plan before youleft.
  14. harpoon

harpoon Long timer

Oddometer:
    No problem man. Those baby heads under 4 inches of leaves were a PIA. Never knew when you were going to hit one. If we'd known there was an end we'd stuck with ya. We had a good ride though. A few pics and more commentary on the big trailer ride coming.
  15. Jack90210

Oddometer:
    :eek1

Think I'm gonna stick to fireroads for now. :nah
  16. ddlewis

ddlewis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, sorry again for that. Poor choice of trails on my part.

Here are a few pics I took:

top of the hill where I waited w/ camera ready to catch you guys climbing.. waiting.. waiting...:D
    [​IMG]

here are some homo-crack heads I happened upon on the trail.
    [​IMG]

crossing a creek.
    [​IMG]

Mr high fashion himself.
    [​IMG]

view from the microwave tower mountain.
    [​IMG]

Bruce gets air.
    [​IMG]
  17. harpoon

harpoon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sat. morn Grimboy buzzed into the Poondarosa to load up and go chase some flatlanders around Crabtree Falls. We hurry up because we got to get these bikes on the trailer where they belong. The Grimm had already ridden 3 miles and there just wern't no sense in riding anymore this early in the morning.

[​IMG]

Hit the road and got on I-64, we were doing some riding now. After a near brush with the law and couple of cups of java, we arrived in the general area and started looking for the flatlanders. Checked the nice paved parking area off 56 but no joy. Waited around for a bit then decided to go do some more looking... maybe I had the meet spot wrong? No matter, we had two nice bikes strapped down to the trailer, plenty of gas in the 4 Runner, hell it was time for some more trailerin! Head back to the store at Montebello and ask the old lady there if there was a place nearby where folks meet to
    go riding the FS roads and ORV trails. 'Nope, never heard a nothing like that round here'. I got the sense that she was talking about within fifty feet of where she was standing. Then a couple of her cronies decided to help out and named every dirt road in the county.

Narrowed the possibilties down to a road nearby that lead to another "Crabtree Falls parking area". Good, we'll trailer that! Found the "road" or at least something that started out as one. After some creek crossings, tree dodging, and rock climbing, and what seemed like about two hours, I said to Grimmboy "hey this looks like a good road to ride the bikes on" Nah! We agreed that we ain't no pu**ies, we can trailer these f'n bikes anywhere.

We eventually stopped near the top of the mountian to give the 4 Runner a rest. 'Hey, what say we take these bikes off and see if they will start?'
    [​IMG]

About then, we see the flatlanders coming up the road we'd just traveled.
    They had brought a bunch of dirt bikes to the "dual sport" ride. :scratch

What the hell, we went chasin after them for a while. On a goat path (that we had miss read on the map, thinking it went on for forever) we decide that the better part of valour would be to let the dirt bikes have this and go find some FS roads.

We found some good ones,
    [​IMG]

had a little water crossing
    Grimmboy
    [​IMG]
    DR
    [​IMG]

Stopped in to see Gertie
    [​IMG]

Woulda had more pics but Grimmboy's camera only holds 6.
    Even though this was a bit screwed up at the beginning, we'll do it again. Next time :thumb
  18. ddlewis

ddlewis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Flatlander quotes:

"They sure brought some big-ass bikes."
    "Is that a GPS!?"
    "I'm surprised they could fit both of those bikes in that one trailer."
    "Well you gotta reckon they know what they're doing being hill folk and all"

:wink:
  19. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Love any thread combinging the terms "flatlanders", "hill folk", and "jackass from the internet".
  20. Jack90210

Oddometer:
    I see someone's taken advantage of that, and put it to good use on their title line. :evil