Ceramic clutch, less than half the Touratech price

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by NoExit, Apr 27, 2008.

1. NoExit

NoExit NoProblem

Oddometer:
    After burning out the clutch on my 2007 GSA in one year/7,500 km (www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334305) I'm having a ceramic clutch put in and I found one that's less than half the Touratech price.

It's from a company in South Africa, called Cycle Technology, part of a motorcycle tour company.

http://www.toursforafrica.co.za/old/accessories/General%20Access/A-Ceramic%20Clutch%20Plate.htm

Anyone else had experience with them?

The price is R1995 (that's South African Rand), or about $265 (Cdn.). Touratech Canada wanted more than $700 (Cdn.)

I e-mailed the supplier Thursday evening, got a prompt reply Friday morning with all my questions answered, and wired him the money the same day (He doesn't take credit cards, too much CC fraud in South Africa, he says).

The total cost, with shipping and bank fees for the transfer, was $441 (Cdn.). Air shipping alone was $100 (Cdn.). Still cheaper than Touratech.

The website says it's the same one sold by Touratech, which seems likely since the Touratech model is also made in South Africa. (The photo below is the Cycle Tech plate)

The website also says it's guaranteed for life, if "driven correctly." I was told that meant: "
    riding respectably and not like a person trying to deliberately destroy the clutch plate or doing wheelies daily up and down the main roads. These clutches were designed for serious adventure travelers who are fully loaded to capacity and encounter serious thick sand or challenging road conditions and have to use the clutch constantly and drastically at times to get out of the sand or situation which they are in."

I'll update this thread as I progress toward a new clutch, and report on how it works.

<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

2. motoreiter

motoreiter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, eagerly awaiting your results.

On Horizons Unlimited, someone posted to the effect that ceramic clutches can be bad for the GS, because the ceramic clutches don't "give" at all and as a result put more strain on the engine (or something).

I didn't really understand the point, and frankly trust people on this thread more than any others, so is there any downside (other than cost) to installing a ceramic clutch?

(hopefully this won't be considered a hijack).
  3. crackhead

crackhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Freaking beautiful.... Let us know how it turns out.. The 1100GS takes a 180mm clutch plate.. The 1150 takes a 165, while the 12GS takes a 180mm, but a different (part number wise anyways) from the 1100GS.. I wonder if they have them for 1100/1150's as well..
  4. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Good to know! It looks like the same unit as the one TT sells, which they claim is made by Sachs in South Africa.

Remember, they say about 3000km to break it in, before you start abusing it. And they say to replace the pressure plate too.

Who's going to install it for you? :ear
  5. bradatlarge

bradatlarge Insha'Allah

Oddometer:
    :ear

:lurk
  6. NoExit

NoExit NoProblem

Oddometer:
    BMW Toronto. I know you deal with them a lot. Any thoughts?

7. crooked roads

crooked roads I'm back

Oddometer:
    Never heard of them for bikes . Had fleet of trucks with them . They are like on/off switch no slipping. Never seen one wear out But seen flywheels eaten by them and clutch plates cracking and breaking to pieces.
  8. Steptoe

Steptoe steptoe

Oddometer:
    You'll have two sets of spacers with it to install. They must be removed as the clutch beds in, first set around the 8-10K mile period, second set around 50k .

They may not slip, but you can still tear the centre disc out and the splines still wear out.
  9. GB

Oddometer:
    They've done it on my bike, when they needed to replace the main seal (under warranty).. The parts alone came to about $1300 :eek1 (that was before BMW Canada lowered the prices on parts due to the currency strength.)

Find out how much they're going to charge you. you should also follow the instructions that come with the clutch to have the pressure plate also replaced. You may be better off supplying the parts yourself after you sourced them from the US and had them delivered to a US address near the border.

You may want to give these folks a call and get a quote from them too:

http://www.fkn.ca/

It's a labor intensive job and your bike will have to be cut in half to get at the clutch.. it's scary to see it that way, but it all went back together well.
  10. crackhead

crackhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    So is it better to just go with a standard replacement then??
  11. configurationspace

configurationspace delooper

Oddometer:
    The spacers can be removed without taking the transmission off the bike.

Whether or not it's better to go with the standard clutch boils down to economics, so it comes down to how many organic clutches you'd go through before you'd go through a ceramic clutch. Which depends on your riding style.

I had a ceramic clutch on my old 1150 ADV and I liked it quite a bit.
  12. crackhead

crackhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    My bike has 28K on it.. I bought it w/ 21K on it in July.. Its gets commuted every day (50mi r/t) and I drive the bejeezus out of it.. The iwfe and I tour on it on the weekends as well.. I adjusted the stock clutch right after I bought it and it has kept adjustment just fine.. I am wondering how much longer the stocker will last and wondering if it would make sense to throw this in when we get to that point..
  13. bonox

bonox Tryin Hard

Oddometer:
    I thought poolside said something about the r12 clutch models not having any spacers to remove, whereas the 1150 did. Is this true?

??
  14. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    I put the Touratech Clutch in my 98 1100 GS and it was fantastic, but way over priced, The same 180mm Ceramic clutch made by Sachs for a Volkswaggon is only $80, Same spline but with a diff offset.( It would work in a pinch)
    I was told it would be like a light switch and it was not at all, in fact it had a lighter pull and was as smooth as my Trials bike. I have been wanting to put one in my 1150gs but the cost for what it is sucks.
    Let us know how this turns out
  15. Grinder

Grinder Wrong way 'round

Oddometer:
    Not to steal the thread, but I noticed the tell-tale sign of the main seal leak. Do you know how long the bike is out for? I'm planning a mexican mystery tour and i'm not sure if i have it fixed before or after. the likelyhood of me roasting the clutch is high in mexico so it would be replaced under warrantee anyway (as most have had their clutch replaced due to the seal failure)

How is BMW toronto? There is a new BMW dealer in ottawa, but i have a hard time trusting anyone after going to my previous dealer....although the open road dealer in newmarket is great (which is where i bought my bike)

I also have the paint peeling on the heads. Maybe the FD will blow and I'll have the qequivalent of a new bike :clap

16. GB

Oddometer:
    If you bought it from Open Road, get them to do it. it's a big job and BMW Canada doesn't pay them enough to do it. BMW Toronto had my bike for a week and they gave me a loaner. You have to book this well in advance.. it's not an urgent job to do.. unless it's been leaking for quite some time, you just may make it to Mexico and back. Maybe you could order the ceramic clutch and get them to put it in :dunno
  17. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    Jason,

Have you tried Jesse at Premier Cycle in Ottawa? I'm sure he can give you a pretty accurate estimate on the price and time the bike will be in service. Otherwise, if under warranty I'd give the new dealer a try.
  18. crackhead

crackhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did the clutch come in yet??
  19. Gros Buck

Gros Buck Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer:
    I really wonder how they can do that without removing the transmission ? :huh They remove the starter maybe ? And then acces remain realy limted ...

Tell us more, please ...

Paul Jr
  20. Gros Buck

Gros Buck Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer:
    Should we consider a group buy here (at least for Canada and North East USA) ?

Paul Jr