KLR Sidecar?

Discussion in 'Hack Vendors' started by rpilottx, Jun 4, 2011.

1. rpilottx

rpilottx Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 98 KLR650 and am thinking about a sidecar. Where do I look for either manufacturers or installers? What are your experiences with these rigs? I am a total sidecar newbie.
  2. bobobob

bobobob IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

Oddometer:
  3. hdgypsyman

hdgypsyman Part Time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know if you have done anything with your KLR yet, But here is my 1999 KLR with a Sputnik sidecar. I bought it this spring and have put 3000 miles on it this year. It is a gas to drive especially on the gravel roads here in southern Minnesota.
    [​IMG]
    It has a DMC sidecar subframe and tracks really straight! What fun!
  4. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:
    I just bought an old Velorex 562 to put on my '03 KLR. It's a rat bike, Krylon tan. I love it. Can't wait totan out the chair!

hdgypsyman, how does it handle? Have you done any steering mods to it?

ricmachado just put a Velorex (i think) on his. He has a thread about it.
  5. hdgypsyman

Oddometer:
    My KLR has a Dauntless subframe and it handles great! This spring in Minnesota the frost boils were really bad on the gravel roads. My rig took them in stride. The sidecar is light enough that I could just drive the bike on the better track and let the sidecar "float" over the rougher stuff. It was a learning curve when I first got the rig, though. My arms and shoulders would get tired steering the rig down the pavement. After I put on a cheap throttle lock, I had an "AHA" moment. By locking the throttle and taking my right hand off of the handlebars, I found that the rig actually steered down the road with just a light grip on the LH grip. My overbearing right side was actually pushing the bars one way, and my left side had to push back to keep the thing going straight. Now I have learned that a light grip on both sides will keep the rig tracking straight with very low effort.
    With a 14 tooth front sprocket, I can cruise 60-65mph and I get 41 to 42 miles to the gallon consistently. Strong headwinds kill the mileage and the bike works hard to run more that 60 mph. Still, it is one of my favorite "go to" bikes for a ride.
  6. DirtDabber

DirtDabber cultural illiterate

Oddometer:

That looks familiar.

[​IMG]
  7. hdgypsyman

Oddometer:
    Hey DirtDabber-
    I read your ride report when you picked up your rig. What an adventure! How are you liking your KLR rig? I was grinning as I was reading your adventure cause I know you were having fun, even with the wheel bearing problem. I have yet to check the bearings in my sputnik wheel. If you had the numbers for the replacement bearings handy I' sure like to have them for future reference.

My bike tracks straight with no wobble and steers fine without any fork modifications so far....
  8. hdgypsyman

Oddometer:
    Hey Veho

You won't regret hacking your KLR. It makes the swiss army knife of bikes even more useful. I own a parts store and deliver parts with mine. You should see all the stuff it carries.
    I can't wait to see yours when it is done........
  9. dirthackjob

dirthackjob n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello to everyone!
    New to ADV and have to share my hack. I have an 06 KLR with a DMC subframe and leading link frontend. The hack frame is a old California sidecar I bought a few years ago. The chair was incomplete so I took it off and bought a plastic tool box from my local TSC (Tractor Supply Company) store. We are suppose to get 6 to 10 inches of snow tonight through saturday night, so I am planning of getting it out and try the snow for the first time! I found a few pics to share.

Attached Files:

10. dirthackjob

dirthackjob n00b

Oddometer:
    a 2nd pic
  11. dirthackjob

dirthackjob n00b

Oddometer:
    ooops! I'll try again

Attached Files:

12. DonD

DonD Retired guy

Oddometer:
    Here's my '03 KLR with an old Cailfornia SC on a DMC subframe. The yellow box is ballast/storage with a folding seat on top. Flip down rack on the yellow box and Steerite trees top it off.

Sometimes run the full body.

[​IMG]
  13. blacktruck

blacktruck Shiftless

Oddometer:
    Not quite Arkansas but I can see it from here.
    In post #11, the KLR has a leading link suspension on the front. I've seen a few other bikes with hacks doing this. I have never ridden one with a hack and am trying to figure out why this helps and what is the benefit of it and if this is what I want or a trailer. I had a trailer on a touring bike before and liked it but it was too big most of the time. I do like the novelty of the hack.
  14. ricmachado

ricmachado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That helps with the steering, makes turning lighter than if you keep the regular forks with the stock trail.

15. Cmquigley

Cmquigley n00b

Oddometer:
    I also want to add a Hack to My 09 KLR. Everyone seems to have a Dauntless subframe. Is it one specific type of subframe they sell or do i just call up and tell them what I am trying to do?
  16. dholaday

dholaday Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Call them up. Jay will be more than willing to help.
  17. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    The reason we do not sell dirrect off of the internet is so that you have to phone us and tell us what you are looking to do, This way we sell you what you need rather then what you think you need.
    We will be glad to work with you on just a sub frame or an entire sidecar.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    www.dmcsidecars.com
    866-638-1793