2016 KTM Enduro R spotted

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by wipe-out, Dec 4, 2014.

1. wipe-out

wipe-out Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quoted from Visordown: New KTM 690 Enduro R spied

KTM's biggest enduro model heavily revised with new frame and suspension

[​IMG]

HERE'S a new version of KTM's Enduro 690 R, spotted undergoing tests this week.

KTM's biggest enduro model appears to have been given an all new tubular steel frame using the engine as a stressed member, replacing the current version's trellis arrangement. The exhaust has swapped sides from the left to right, while the rear shock looks to have adopted a more horizontal position.Other revisions appear to include the top yoke, which looks new. The subframe could be a work in progress.

The current version is already listed as 2015 bike on KTM's website, suggesting this one is likely to be a 2016 model.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle...sordown-new-ktm-690-enduro-r-spied/25971.html
  2. tangerine

tangerine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. w33b8t1

w33b8t1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let me tell you about stressed members.....They're hard to protect.
  4. tangerine

Oddometer:
    My wishes: a wider steering stop, more range and a fuel tank cup not where the luggage is (like F 800 GS).
  5. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The big photo on the Visordown website has some good detail. The swingarm is appears to be the 690RR version or very similar. Exhaust layout like the 450RR except on the opposite side.

This could get very interesting.:evil
  6. DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Tinker Tinker Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    +1 and:

-a wider ratio six-speed. If they improved that and some of the gremlins (rocker arm/cam scoring, auto-decompress issues, etc), this would cure my only gripes with this nearly perfect bike.
  7. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Be careful what you wish for - a significant reason why the current bike handles far better than it should is because of the tank location. So if you're looking for the next gen adventure bike a larger and stronger rear tank might be a better option than a 30lb weight shift up high.
  8. tangerine

Oddometer:
    The tank location is good, but not the position of the cup. The best solution is the 800 GS-one. Filling from the side even with panniers or softbags possible.
  9. tokyo

tokyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amen

I was jonesing for a '14.. but then the Husky 701 was announced (I like 17" wheels) so I thought I would wait and look at those and now this.

Buying a thumper from KTM is like buying a cell phone, they keep coming out with new ones so at some point you need to just put a stake in the ground. If you keep waiting for the next version you can never buy, always something cooler on the horizon.

Compare that with the Japanese thumper makers, :rofl You could buy a 15 year old used one and it is identical to one on the showroom floor (XR650L, DRZ400, DR650, KLR650)

The WR250R is the latest and greatest and it is already almost 8 years old..
  10. gxshrimp

gxshrimp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat, have a deposit on a '15 but now this... but I can't wait another year, and I'm not big on buying the first model year of a new design. By then, like you say there'll be another model on the horizon...

My stake is in the ground... '15 for me!
  11. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmm.

Interesting I suppose, but I can't say there's anything in the description that makes me want to start saving.

I'll be sticking with what I've got for the time being, unless there is a significant weight reduction.
  12. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    maybe not the description, but i'm looking at that low exhaust and thinking to myself, theres no reason for that other than a factory 690adv, finally.
  13. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

My thoughts exactly !

But, it will be a 2016 model at the earliest, so I will be buying a 2015, fitting the luggage rails and Safaro tank I pulled of my 2008 bike and running that for the next 24 months - then, once any teething issues are identified and resolved) and the aftermarket manufacturers have products available for it, I will look at what is around in 2017 .....................
  14. techno boy

techno boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could this possibly be a 390 instead of 690,just thinking?
  15. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    yup...

you can see all the space from the front of the seat to the steering head...Twin tanks....header goes down and away from the fuel...the rear subframe seems beefy for the luggage...

can't tell but that looks like a fuel cap on top right in front of the seat...
  16. lightfighter

lightfighter where does this go?

Oddometer:
    I remember way back when the 690 prototype at baja had a fuel neck in front, and essentially the tank we live with now... Couple that arrangement with a low exhuast that gets rid of the inletting for the muffler, and you have a 5 gallon tank. I'd be thrilled.
  17. 2 SPOT

Oddometer:
    that wasnt just a protoype, it was also a limited production 690 baja, i kinda wanted one but it was spendy.

if you dug around enough you might be able to find a used 5 gal tank for sale somewhere.

[​IMG]
  18. DesertRatliff

Oddometer:
    So what'd they do with the airbox in place of the filler? Evo2 or some such?
  19. 2 SPOT

Oddometer:
    no air box,,, just the big foamy under the seat.
  20. DesertRatliff

Oddometer:
    Gotcha.

[​IMG]