Thumpers in the UK?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by rallybug, Jan 12, 2010.

1. rallybug

rallybug Local Yokel

Oddometer:
    Just sold my Africa Twin, and I think I'm going back to a thumper, but not sure which one.

It'll be 90%+ road work, and as I have a 30" inseam nothing too high in the seat front :lol3 I also currently weigh about 230, so 250s and the like may be a little small. Then again, I normally cruise along the motorways at about 70-75, so not a speed merchant by any means :lol3

We don't get DRs or KLRs in the UK, so they're out. Choices at the moment are down to an F650GS or Dakar, Aprilia Pegaso (i.e. or Trail), running out of ideas... :D I had an '88 NX650 Dominator that I rode to the South of France and back, and then the Dolomites and part way back, so I don't mind travelling on them.

Ideally it'd be something from 2003 or newer, with a decent range of, say, 150 miles or more to a tank.

Any ideas?
  2. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    If I was a big boy and planning on 90% road I wouldn't get a thumper. But then again, I am not patient enough to cruise along at 70 mph on the highway.

Since it's weight shouldn't be a big problem for your riding, I would take a close look at the Yamaha Tenere. Cheaper than a BMW, more reliable than a KTM, great mileage and a good all round package out of the box.
  3. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    does it have to be dual sport or rather road thumper?
    There is MT03

Why you say you do not get DRs in UK? Why not DR650? They are available in UK, just not from Suzuki :) They all Italian imports and according to my friends support by dealers - no probs.
    At least I saw minimum 3 of them 1996+ model all in immaculate state and under 1000 GBP. Well, it was actually bikes of my friends :)
    Then there is Yamaha Tenere XTZ660, older model.
    Then there is DRZ400 of different subtypes, but bearing in mind 90% + paved I guess SM is more like it. Small thank thou...
    And of course there is XR650L. One of my friends actually travels on one and takes it offroad all the time in Europe.

But if you mostly do paved roads - try MT03. Really nice bike for pavement and can be taken to unpaved roads sometimes.
  4. rallybug

rallybug Local Yokel

Oddometer:
    I like the riding position of dual-sports, they suit me better, hence the focus on them.

I've test ridden a Tenere, and although it was good it didn't make me go :tb

640A could be an option, but a certain part of me did go numb within about 5 miles when I test rode a 640 SM a few years ago :lol3

I'd like something a bit newer than a pre-2000 DR (replaced by the Freewind here in '97, I think) :dunno
  5. tripletom

tripletom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not a thumper, but Triumph Scrambler?
  6. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    It seems they'd just stopped selling DRs there and started XFs. Over here they coexisted (Belgium).
    But Xf...nah, it's not nice.

Pegaso, older one with Rotax engine is niiiiice bike. My friend had one of these, worked on it a lot and converted it to supermoto kind. That engine have lot of juice to be released, much more than expected and with minimum mods. His Pegaso topped out at GPS-measured 178 kmph, but then he is same kind of grease monkey I am :) His Pegaso was reliable and gave him no troubles.

MT03 for me felt just like dualsport ergos-wise BTW. And it felt lot different than old 660s XTZ or even XTR handling-wise.

XR650L still a possibility :)

Here is MT03 just like one I tried

Correction, wrong link. Something is wrong with that photo I found in internet, got to find another one which looks like bike I saw...
  7. dashmoto

dashmoto Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    90% paved and requirement for motorway work --> wouldn't touch a DR-Z. Mine on SM wheels is flat out at 75mph and very vibe'y. It could be geared a bit longer, but then it would just be very slow to get there.
  8. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't agree more - my reason was since 250 cc was mentioned as being to small I thought DRZ is only thing of sub-500 cc I can think of.
    Rest was all 600+
  10. wide

wide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup dont even look at a DRZ, rubbish gearing on S doesnt do road work or off road very well, its so in the middle of nowhere, pity as its a great engine.
    Have a go on an XT660R possibly one of the comfiest singles I have ridden and snatchy fuelling can be sorted not as high as Tenere and IMO a better seat, and can be blinged up anyway to look the biz. With the risk of being hung at dawn, nicer than the KLR with better spares availability over here in UK
  11. Tim

Tim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Rallybug, welcome back to the world of Thumpers :wave.

Although I've had two KTM Adventures, a 620 and a 640 I wouldn't recommend one for long distances. Yes, I know that it can be done, I did over 500 miles in a day on my 640 but it's not nice. There are much smoother thumpers to be found. I know that you want something newer but my XL 600 is soooo smooooth,

[​IMG]

Or how about one of the last UK KLRs? On Bike Trader there is an '03 KLR 650 for @2494.

As long as you're not in a hurry I'm sure you'll have lots of fun searching for the "right" bike.