DIY: Charcoal Canister Removal on F800GS (with pictures!!)

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Y E T I, Aug 28, 2009.

1. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I am a little confused. Is there any reason to remove it if you arent having any issues? Sure, I'd like to free up some space and weight but if it does no harm remaining intact and also does some environmental good--why remove it?
  2. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    I can't speak for the rest here. But I've had problems with it. So its comming off.

David
  3. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I removed mine in a middle of a down pour on a 1500 mile round trip to Wichita,KS.....after the bike stalled every few miles..... I had enough... This was before the recall. Other thing....for me was after a few CC saturation with fuel vapors.... When the purge valve opened... The engine ran rough from the rich fumes... It did not last long though..... Purge valve closed...and bike ran normal..... Enough for me to ditch it.... If you have not had any symptoms.... leave it in....Until you have..... Just be ready for it....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  4. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No confusion necessary. The factual answer is no. If it's not giving you any problems, there is absolutely no reason that you have to remove it. As a big plus, you'll be doing the planet some good!
  5. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    As others have said, if YOU are having no problems, don't remove it.

My first tank cracked and I didn't want to have any stalling issues so I got rid of mine.
  6. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    None of my old bikes had any type of filter at all, and at the very least every tank full of gas they had to suck in several "gallons" of air as the gas was used up...

But a small filter can't hurt, I'm wondering if one of the clear in-line fuel filters wouldn't do OK and take up less space.

http://www.amazon.com/Visu-Filter-In-Line-Fuel-Filter-Standard/dp/B00388NNMS/
  7. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that any filter would be fine..... Personally I like one I can clean.... But your right... It is 1000 times too big....:lol3

:thumb:thumb

Erling
  8. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    first off thanx to yetiGS for this thread... :clap

second... I didn't find it anywhere but this mod doesn't work without some revisions for the TT tank :deal
    :freaky
  9. The Griz

Oddometer:
    That is an in line liquid fuel filter not an air filter though. It won't filter air as good as an air filter would. I've had a couple of the Visi fuel filters for other bikes. They go in line between the petcock on the fuel tank and the carb.

I personally do not run a filter on the fuel tank vent line. I've never had any problems and probably won't. I think it's overkill.
  10. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Griz:
    I think I agree that any filter is probably over-kill but hey for a couple bucks I can live with overkill. Yes I picked the fuel filter intentionally (I thought I said it was a fuel filter in my append, but maybe not) for it's smaller size. The flow rate is low so the fuel filter should have no trouble passing enough air, and both the air and fuel filter would filter down to some number of microns so would keep out plenty of stuff.

I have a cracked tank and the canister system. I don't know for sure if the canister system contributes to cracking or not but the little poll we're running seems to imply there could be a connection only 110 people have voted but from that sample:

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php/55931-POLL-Has-your-F650GS-F800GS-twin-gas-tank-cracked

~1:3 chance of a crack if you have the canister system... and perhaps ~1:50 (maybe 1:100+) or better without the canister.
  11. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    You're welcome! :D

Hey Griz, I thought you kept your canister on your bike?? :huh

[​IMG]
  12. The Griz

Oddometer:
    To each his own of course. I'm not going to run a filter on the gas tank vent line on my bike though. The Euro/rest of the world models don't, so that's good enough for me. Cheers.:freaky

It's been on and off. It's back on now. My dealer just did the recall fix for the charcoal canister (hose reroute with Y-fitting). I've never had a problem with the charcoal canister since the day I bought the bike, and I suspect I never will.
  13. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Those of you that have not voted, please READ the "fine print" in the poll, I asked that only those that removed the pressure/vacuum checkvalve to vote as "non-canister" equipted. I.E. non-canister "System" equipted :wink:
  14. The Griz

Oddometer:
    I voted on that a long time ago. How does this apply to me?...as in why are you quoting me when you say what you're saying here?:scratch
  15. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Sorry... did you take out your pressure/vacuum checkvalve when you did your canister-ectomy? I was thinking you did not, and that's what I was getting at ... but I had been :1drink
  16. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Which pressure/vacuum checkvalve are you referring to?

If you mean the one that's in the tube which comes out of the tank and goes to the charcoal canister, do you realize that that valve is in the European/Canadian/everywhere bikes too? It's the same part number.

The only difference is that the European bikes don't connect to a charcoal canister.
  17. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    YetiGS ... yup I think you're correct. I was misinformed ... again ... :lol3

OK so ... now I'm back to my original question ... why does it appear this problem seems focused on the USA-bikes? Maybe that's not correct either... :huh
  18. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Given that the US bikes are the only ones with the charcoal canister, and US bikes seem to be the only ones that are cracking, I think it HAS to be the canister that's causing the problem. Other than the canister, the fuel tank vent system the same worldwide.

Maybe when you combine the canister with the checkvalve, it creates too much or too little presure in the tank, hence the cracking. :dunno
  19. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    The, if working correctly, just is sucking air in from the bottom tube thus extracting gasoline vapors stored in the charcoal and submitting it for combustion via the intake tract. Really no net vacuum or pressure should be applied to the tank... and in theory I can't see how the tank would see any difference from the canister being hung on the end of the vent line or not...

If the canister is plugged and/or the pressure/vacuum check is stuck that's an entirly different story... but still doesn't explain anything in terms of USA vs. Euro bikes... :hmmmmm
  20. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    Do other contries use oxygenated fuels? Ethonal or other type of addatives?

Also, are there structural differences in the subframe to mount other electrical requirements for US bikes?

Just thinking of other ideas.

David