ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2014, 08:25 AM   #16
EtowahKLR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Condolences

So very to hear about your father. When I lived in the Rochester area, we used to ride to you father's shop at the first sign of Spring weather. Although we liked the bikes, I think it was your dad's rye sense of humor and wit that kept us coming back. Ride safe, Al!
EtowahKLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #17
smnort
a Monkey

Oddometer: 174
He will be missed.

Great shop, even better man, he will be missed.

"That’s so stupid a monkey wouldn’t do it"

2002 R1150 GSA
1983 Harley FLH

BMW Riders Club of WNY (MOA #2) www.bmwrcwny.com
smnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:14 PM   #18
robincx
Wherever u go, there u r

Oddometer: 98
I have had the immense pleasure of knowing Al for the past 7 years. Not only did he convert me and my wife to Italian bikes, but he became a dear friend in the process. We had the pleasure of designing his website (fasteurobikes.com) and spent many a late night hour discussing a lot of things, but it always turned back to stories of bikes and customers. He loved his customers, but he would toss people out of his shop if you were wasting his time or being a lookie-loo. Those of us who made it past his bullshit sensor learned of the great warmth and kindness in his heart.
He was always talking about his exceptional sons and the great achievements that both had made in and out of the motorcycle world. Look up the name Gillen and MVAgusta, you'll be amazed. Al's other son rose to high ranks in finance. Just hearing the name of his wife, Arlene, would make his eyes light up.
He was a humble man who sold and set up the finest motorcycles in the world. Now there is a hole in our world where the brilliant man with the funky shop once stood. Miss you Al, miss you a lot.
robincx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:03 PM   #19
HollandMan OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
You guys are the best

As Al's son, I can say that the sentiments expressed in this forum would hearten him greatly. They are comforting to me and my family, as well.

Al's funeral mass will be at 10:30 a.m. this Friday at Saint Joseph's R.C. church in Holland NY.

I will be delivering the eulogy, and intend to send him off in the style he would both want and deserve.

Al would appreciate it if you could make it...and then gun your engines as loud as you can and spit into the wind as you leave afterwards!!
HollandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:22 PM   #20
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 12,468
Thinking of the Gillan family today.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:18 AM   #21
robincx
Wherever u go, there u r

Oddometer: 98
I attended Al's wake (that's difficult to say). While there, I surveyed the photos and memories of Al. I can say that not only did Al, have a large network of motorcycle friends, but he enjoyed a beautiful family filled with rich memories, and held a position of great respect within the community, and beyond.
Ciao Amigo!
robincx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:18 PM   #22
ScottyR
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I have bought a lot of bikes over the years from Al and I considered him a friend. He was a crusty old SOB who would give me sh-t on a regular basis. He didn't mince words, nor do I. They were the easiest bike deals I could ever make. Done in less than 2 minutes.

I will miss the old bugger but he is in a better place.

Godspeed my friend.
ScottyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:13 AM   #23
joshuaz223
n00b

Oddometer: 1
RIP Al. You were a great man and it was a pleasure to know you.

Roy Andrews
joshuaz223 is offline   Reply With Quote