Refinishing GSPD tank?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by kaltblitz, Aug 24, 2013.

1. kaltblitz

kaltblitz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you refinish a plastic R100GSPD tank? I realize they probably cannot be painted (or would not take paint well). Is there a way to clean a faded one up?
  2. globalt38

globalt38 "A Fist Full of Throttle"

Oddometer:
    They'll actually take paint very well - at least if you've got the right paint and equipment I assume.

Mine was originally white and teal - had it painted by a guy who ran his own bike painting shop in 1997.

[​IMG]
    murin likes this.
  3. mendoje

mendoje Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're thinking of a polyethylene tank, which cannot be painted. The GSPD tanks are not polyethylene, rather most likely nylon, which is paintable.
  4. Beemerguru

Beemerguru Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer:
    They're nylon..which means you have to have the right guy who can weld nylon,,and the right painter who knows about the right prep method and correct paint.
  5. motorrad3DP

motorrad3DP motorrad3DP@gmail.com

Oddometer:
    old thread. high google ranking. whatever.

so - is there a “primer gray” version for these?

i mean, can you sand or chemicals strip these and leave them. or i guess they need something to protect from UV rays?!

any good looking home versions of this? i’m embarrassed to ask but plasti-dip would be colossally dumb. as would painting them at home from the sounds of it.

touratech is making a metal version is that right? others?
  6. globalt38

Oddometer:
    I think @walkingbear has had some success with vinyl applique (?) on some of his tanks/body work (not sure if he's done it on a nylon PD tank) if that interests you. Are you wanting a "primer gray" look or just trying to get something different than what you have currently? Can't talk to the stripping or sanding and UV impact on the nylon etc.
    motorrad3DP likes this.
  7. motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    i guess i’m wondering if i can pick up a teal green or barney purple (or whatever) pd tank and do something with it with some elbow grease and a thoughtful approach...

somehow can’t get my brain off the conversion...

are there any threads on comfort and handling of the third party options? somehow i could be warming to the clear plastic tanks (assuming they are reasonably plug and play).
  8. globalt38

Oddometer:
    If you're talking about the HPN tanks - from what I've heard/seen of the time, hassle, cost factor you may be better off if you find a PD tank and have a quality painter paint it for you (YMMV of course). Unless you're wanting the HPN tank/look but that would involve some modification to your fairing and the addition of 2 supports on the forward part of your frame I believe. I think I saw somewhere that someone (Germany?) has unpainted PD tanks available?
    motorrad3DP likes this.
  9. Beemerguru

Oddometer:
    Here's 2 examples. Both GS nylon tanks trimmed and correctly rewelded, then pressure tested.

Both fitted to custom builds..including an R80G/S.

Correct prep means the right primer since you're essentially trying to paint Teflon.

About 50k miles on both tanks and only had one dime sized bubble where the gas vapor found a way out IMG_20180709_0843387.jpg
    motorrad3DP likes this.
  10. Beemerguru

Oddometer:
    The other tank is on my avatar.
  11. motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    than BG,

appreciate it. can i ask about the “trimming” and “rewelding”? what is the issue with bubbling? is it only on repainted tanks? or also the OEM ones?! i mean, any comments of the advantage of the metal GS tank and a 2 litre pannier has can versus the PD plastic in terms of maintenancwnor reliability?!

also, are these tanks you saved? or would simply a color change require this? also, what it the method for stripping these? and can you run with a naked tank. given that it might look pretty naf. well, actually i guess i’ve never seen the naked pd tank...

THANKS

jon
  12. motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    someone on here bought one recently. trying to find the thread. had it here. he built a little spray booth. but i think this was more of a R80 PD style tank and not the nylon pd style...?
  13. Beemerguru

Oddometer:
    The tanks come from the '93-94 R100 GSPD bikes that had the roo bars and wrap around fairing.

The shop sliced off the front tabs that would have fit into the fairing - not needed for the G/S or custom .

Then a correctly sized patch of nylon was welded over the holes and pressure tested for leaks .

If not properly sealed with the correct primer, the gas vapor can pass through the nylon and form a bubble. BMW had that problem with their first run of this tank.

Never saw one naked...think milky plastic, not clear.

About 9.1 gal AND a lockable place on top for a tool kit or 3 cans of beer and ice .
    motorrad3DP likes this.
  14. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Touratech's suggested procedure for painting the nylon HPN tanks as well as other nylon tanks:

Suggested painting procedure:

1.) Plastic adhesion promoter (PPG DPX 801)

2.) DP sealer various numbers: 90,40,48

3.) Wetsand to smooth imperfections

4.) DP sealer second coat

5.) Base coat / Clear coat system or single depending on color and application.
    jchussey and motorrad3DP like this.
  15. boxermoose

boxermoose Regressive airhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was me & it is a Steel R80 large tank
    Uke and motorrad3DP like this.
  16. motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    hi guys,
    can i please ask about inspecting a used oem PD nylon tank? is there anything other than cosmetics on the paint to check? anything specific about the petcocks? do you basically plug the petcocks and fill it to the rim (or i guess you would have to gave it on the tank to do this)? do you need to scope the interior? do you need to clean it in any way?
    etc, etc.
    THANKS
  17. Beemerguru

Oddometer:
    Check for bubbles in the paint..could be anywhere on the tank...petcocks are same plug and play..also check the the lock on the top lid works and the gasket is still good.

Are you putting it on a late model R100GS?
  18. CaptUglyDan

CaptUglyDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heres mine, I had it shaped/sanded and painted by a friend 5 yrs ago, Still looks the same on the bike.

Attached Files:

motorrad3DP likes this.
  19. motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    hi BG,

thanks for all the help. will check these items. presumably also run my hand around the tank. yes, looking to put it on a late model GS.

can i also ask if there is a tank securing “bar” for the PD tank like there is on the GS? i don’t i use the GS one but curious about the PD. guess i need to also check the fiche again.

THANKS

- jon
  20. globalt38

Oddometer:
    There is a wire "hoop" at the back with a rubber piece that slips under the frame tube if that's what you're referring to.
    motorrad3DP likes this.