What do I do about the bullet holes?

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by scorpion, Feb 14, 2013.

1. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    The prius has too many evenly spaced holes. They may be real holes but it had to be faked, pick ax makes very good movie bullet holes.

Back to the original hole. I doubt that what you showed us is all the damage. If it were a body shop would fix that like a door ding. No big deal. What else is messed up? I have a suspesion that a lot of the interior has dark reddish brown stains on it. Depending on how many panels are damaged (holes) and stained (blood) you may need to shop around for a parts car. Or a salvage yard that has a car like your and get the parts from it. But the amount of damage isn't specified so the extent and cost cannot be determined.

Blood stained and bullet holed cars have been sold at auction as well. They usually go for cheap. But with the very limited amount of damage you show a picture of, the hints that things could be really messed up in the car. There really is no way to tell you what would be a good thing to do. It ranges from getting the oversized door ding fixed to so much damaged the car is a total loss. You have not provided enough information to accuratly answer the question.:deal
  2. Dean Ohlin

Dean Ohlin inner city elite

Oddometer:
    just disguise the holes with some stickers

[​IMG]
  3. regal403

regal403 vanilla_g0rilla

Oddometer:
  4. scorpion

scorpion Two arm bandit

Oddometer:
    2 holes clean through, cracked not shattered front passenger glass.
    1 more though the passenger seat
    Blood stains.
  5. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I never really thought I'd have, much less be able to use knowledge like this, but...

Most of our customers have a body shop patch up the sheet metal, and then either paint just that spot and blend it in (if it's just one or two holes and they're either really close, or on two widely spaced panels) or paint the whole car (if there's damage all over, or other damage as well). The interior is a bit tougher, as it depends on material of construction, and where/how it was hit. If the hits are pretty much straight in, dashs and door panels can be patched and painted by guys who specialize in that sort of thing. Grazed shots that leave long tears are not as easy. Cloth interiors can often be patched, or have a new seat fabric put on, leather is a bit trickier. You usually just have to replace it. Components that reside in the interior are another story. Nav screens, radios, control modules... Most of them can't handle much in the way of small arms fire, so if they're hit, you pretty much have to replace them. Wiring/optical harnesses can really be a pain if hit, causing all sorts of strange problems, usually not until time has passed, and the insurance has paid all it thinks it needs to. You didn't mention any mechanical damage, and oddly enough, I rarely see much when we get a shot up car in the shop either. I think glass is pretty much self explanitory.

None of this factors in blood/guts/brains, mostly we never see those cars, and the few I have, no one ever did anything about it. So for those, and personal emotions, only you can make that call. Do you have other pics? Anything that shows more of the damage?

MV
  6. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    Since my insurance agent is an inmate here, my first call would be to him.:lol3
  7. KevXR

KevXR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Front door or back door? If it is the front door, go to a junkyard, but a lock. Install the lock.
    It will look like the old school locks that are outside of the handle group. The location almost looks like it was planned.

Next, make the car look different. Add some PTA / "My son is an honor student" stickers. No one wants to shoot a soccer mom. Get new plates.

Use a hole plug like this one.
    [​IMG]
  8. Chuck289

Chuck289 Air cooled

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  9. KevXR

KevXR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A friend showed me his "$500 gang shooting car". It had 4 bullet holes in the front fender. It was an unusual yellow color for a Ford LTD. He was laughing about how he got such a deal. I asked, "So what happens if the gang recognizes this car and shoots at it? Better get some bondo." He stopped laughing and started asking about auto parts stores.
  10. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    Isn't this kinds of thing the reason we buy car insurance?
  11. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dave. Glad that your around to be typing this post up. It should not cost much fix and repaint the car. I have a lot of salvage yards around me office. If you want me to track down a seat just let me know? If you do decide to sell how much would you want for it? Its tax return time I am sure you can find a buyer even in the condition that its in.
  12. A-Bone

A-Bone Indubitably

Oddometer:
    Ohh... there may be a job in it for you....

[​IMG]
  13. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    "That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten."
  14. I_FLY_LOW

I_FLY_LOW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dunno....
    Your story sure has a lot of holes innit....
  15. Buccleuch

Buccleuch I'm just a bean, trying to get some sleep... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see what you did there.

W.A.
  16. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    I used to work in Dad's bodyshop with an old guy who still knew how to repair bodywork with lead.....not Bondo.

Still got the bullets or are they evidence somewhere?:wink:

If you have them I'd be tempted to find an old guy who knows about "leading" holes, melt the bullets with fresh lead and fix them holes.

Then you'd really have a story to tell!:wink:
  17. CO-Dan

CO-Dan Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. janeuner

janeuner Get Some

Oddometer:
  19. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would have noooo qualms in photodocumenting it, and having the body shop fix it. It has *nothing* to do with mechanical capability, except perhaps the windshield seal. I'd be straight about the repair, if asked. But other than that...not a big deal. And as a bodyshop repair...it's a walk in the park.
  20. mudgepondexpress

mudgepondexpress Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed!

I would grind around it a little, use my pick hammer to tap it in a bit then cut a patch out of flat sheet and use panel bond to glue the patch over the hole. a little mud, a little primer and paint and it is gone. As for the blood, new seat, new carpets...this is a very easy repair.

I wouldn't have one issue driving a car like this.

Kenny