Well On My Way To A Speeding Ticket

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DudeClone, Mar 5, 2014.

1. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got my first motorcycle after a few years riding 150cc scooters. Gotta say I ride those fast, too. But cops never slowed to give those a look. Now I see 'em slow and look when on my FZ6. It's RED (we all know what that means....FASTEST color) and has 90 more ponies then my scooters. Just a matter of time, i figure.

How many speeding tickets have you gotten? Past, present, or future estimates welcome :D
  2. Retro

Retro Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer:
    Let me be the first to say that this thread is guaranteed to not end well or go as you thought it would.

If you are getting attention then you are probably going significantly faster than traffic around you, and yeah, you're going to get tickets.

Slow down and live longer.
  3. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    well i am not sure that is true. and i am not speeding. that is why i say pretty sure i an on my way to a ticket. if i am being noticed when not speeding, what about if i do, a little?

just saying i have been rocketing down the road on my scoots for a few years now and police never even bothered to glance. now i can be sitting at an intersection and police seem to give me an eye or two when passing :(

how might this thread not go well? i am not sure i am expecting anything out of it except some good speeding ticket stories :clap
  4. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    i need to fly below the radar :rayof
  5. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Easy answer: sell the fizzle for another scooter. Maybe one of those fancy jobbers.

1. I got 1 ticket. And it was enough to ruin that bike for me. So I sold it, and bought a street bike and a track bike. No more dual duty, slightly less temptation. But, like a scooter, nobody is looking at a fuglystrada with full luggage either. You've gotta give the illusion you're doing nothing wrong.
  6. tvpierce

tvpierce Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

Saddlebags have a Jedi-mind-control effect on LEO.

Saddlebags = old man = not speeding. Whether the shoe fits or not, that's the perception.
  7. Benduro

Benduro Carnavoyeur Supporter

Oddometer:
    And saddlebags on a dirtbike? Even better. I can go 90mph in front of a cop on the freeway, and he won't even bat an eye.
  8. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have only ever gotten two awards for speeding on bikes. Even had a few red ones. Seems pretty good since I've never followed any speed limits ever unless there was a cop right there watching.
  9. tommysmothers

tommysmothers Flamesuit equipped

Oddometer:
    Riding slow lets you speed up for giggles when the situation allows.

No tickets, no plan on getting any.
  10. mongox

mongox ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer:
    Ride smart, don't weave alot, and don't ride a sport bike and the leo's will pretty much leave you alone. If you are an experienced rider and ride as such, the leo's will let you get away with a little extra speed, at least during commute hours. If being a hooligan out on the back roads, all bets are off.
  11. TN3Sport

TN3Sport East TN DS Rider

Oddometer:
    Zero. I don't speed a whole lot in urban areas.

Plus...
    I ride a jap bike. The digital speedo's on jap bikes run high. As much as 7% high. That likely creates a bit of psychological limiter for me. i.e. If the speed limit is 45 mph. I'll usually cruise through at about 54 mph as indicated on my digital Suzuki dash. However, the real speed I'm traveling is likely 49 mph. And that is not fast enough to draw the attention of most LEO's.

When I do get a ticket. It will more likely be from not stopping completely at a stop sign when making a right turn or running a red light in Georgia. I'm in TN and a motorcycle can run red lights, providing a certain protocol. But, I ride a lot in Georgia and they require you wait like 3 minutes at a light before running it on a motorcycle. (Again, I dont ride much in urban areas.)
  12. tick-tock

tick-tock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Old man bikes don't always work to keep you out of trouble. I got a ticket on a V-Strom 1000 with hard bags. I thought looking ugly and slow would help, but only up to a point, I guess.
  13. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy But a moment's sunshine fading in the grass.

Oddometer:
    Never a speeding ticket on a bike for me. Illegal turn once though. I ride like an old man (oh wait...I am an old man...) these days. I don't know how much that matters. I remember coming down route 81 decades ago on a 2-stroke Kawi triple at a bit over 80mph and there sat the officer on the inside of a turn, me streaming a solid train of 2-stroke perfume behind me, and all he did was make a 'slow down' hand motion.

The officers might be eyeing up that red bike as you go by and thinking it's pretty nice. Even the police admire a nice bike. It's when the put the lights on that you'll know they are looking to give a ticket.
  14. Need For Speed

Need For Speed Riding fool(ishly)

Oddometer:
    I find wearing full gear and trying to blend in works for me. There is a time and place for extralegal speeds, and it's not in town

That, a radar detector, and I rock a top box all the time on my XX. I consider it a cloaking device - I noticed I get a lot less looks from LEO's when I roll by vs when I didn't have it.

[​IMG]

The ultimate is this one though, they look right through me - but so does the driving public. I ride accordingly...

[​IMG]
  15. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    In SoCal, I can't imagine getting a ticket for anything short of 30% over. Maybe they like your bike?
    If you are out in the canyons, that's where they wait to give prizes but regular roads... too much else to do unless you are acting out. On the hwy, I've passed CHP doing well over 80, sometimes over 90 while they are running radar and all they've done is wave or shake their head.
  16. Need For Speed

Oddometer:
    I miss being able to speed all the time, with little repercussions.

Had to get out of CA tho...
  17. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    IIRC from previous posts....this is the guy who does 30+ delta lane splitting, no speed limit and thinks it's ok to take out cage mirrors? I could be wrong...
  18. Need For Speed

Oddometer:
    If you are talking about me, you would be wrong.
  19. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    no that is me. i don't know what "30+ Delta" is but lane splitting is legal where i live and i took out a mirror of a hostile driver which intentionally impeded me because i had no other choice but to hit the car on my other side which had done nothing. being i was on the move i kept on going and did not stop to get shot by a thug trying to take me out. but that is all water under the bridge so idk why this poster is bringing it up? i guess in thier eyes i now deserve a speeding ticket just for riding a sport bike and hitting a mirror while lane splitting on a scooter?

i am public enemy numero uno
  20. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't remember but I think you're right according to his reaction up here. But I remember that he's the one who got arrested by a campus LEO on power trip for some bogus reasons.

Edit: 30+mph Delta = 30mph speed difference between you and the cars you split pass.