Anyone have the stock skid plate rub through the hard oil lines?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Airhead, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Airhead

Airhead More human than human

Oddometer:
    Just wondering if anyone had ever actually had the OE plate rub through the hard oil lines that run under the engine. My plate is rubbing on them...enough that they have worn a groove in the plate. I need to replace my skid plate with a Black Dog anyway, since it is cracked...but just curious. It seems like a pretty serious design flaw to me that those lines actually touch the OE plate...:huh
  2. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    My bike was the same way when the PO noticed it. Didn't rub all the way through, but definately enough to cause concern.
  3. Airhead

Oddometer:
    Yeah...if you look at almost any 950 with an OE plate the lines show some wear...just wonder if the lines have ever worn through. I think the material out of which the skid plate is made is significantly softer than that out of which the lines are made...

:norton
  4. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take an angle grinder to the skid plate where it rubs. Problem solved
  5. Airhead

Oddometer:
    I'm more curious than anything else...my stock plate is cracked anyway, so I am going to be replacing it with a Black Dog in the spring...
  6. Bonsai Elephant

Bonsai Elephant Banned

Oddometer:
    My stock plate didn't last long enough to wear through anything - holed first time off-road.

Replaced it with a Black Dog!

:lol3
  7. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Jeff, same here and I agree with you about the design flaw. I used an arbor press and "bulged' the area where the lines contacted. But after a couple trail riding excursions it's rubbing again. I'll be changing out the OEM skid also.

BTW check your PM's
  8. jsrider

jsrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know for sure that the Black Dog doesn't rub the oil lines?
  9. Airhead

Oddometer:
    I exchanged a few emails with them, and they said that they designed their skid plate specifically to not rub on the lines...

Communication with them was very good...they seem like a class act.
  10. Bonsai Elephant

Bonsai Elephant Banned

Oddometer:
    They are one of the most customer service oriented companies I have ever dealt with and I cannot say a single neutral thing, never mind bad thing, about Black Dog or their product.

You will not be disappointed in what you buy or the process you go through to purchase it.

:thumb
  11. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
  12. Airhead

Oddometer:
    He didn't actually have the plate rub through the lines...which goes to my question. It appears to me that the plate will rub the finish off the lines, but that the lines are made of a harder material than the plate, and so will wear a grove in the plate rather than being worn through themselves. My lines look just like his...finish rubbed off, but no damage to the actual metal of the line.

Not that that is a good thing, either...just curious if anyone had actually had the lines fail on them. I know Ricky did, but that was because his Touratech plate was hitting them. The stock plate is made from a very soft material...I know, because I had to grind it down to make room for my Facet pump. The angle grinder went through the stuff like it was warm butter...