Touring set-up questions

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by VintageThumper, Jun 18, 2010.

1. I've been touring on a KTM Adventure for the last few years and had the bike set up well for the purpose. But my new ride is an '08 R1200GS and I'll have to start all over with tailoring it to my needs. I'd really appreciate advice on the following...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    1) Replacement windscreen that will reduce buffeting but isn't a barn door. (I'm 6' tall and may go to a slightly taller seat).
    2) GPS mount that will locate the unit just above the speedo.<o:p></o:p>
    3) Recommendations for a tank bag that holds enough for longer rides. A plus would be a handle strap on the back of the bag so I can clip my Mix-it amp and IPod back there.<o:p></o:p>
    3) Suggestions for rigging up a couple of Powerlet outlets. Including locations, best way to tap into the bike's 12v system, and warnings on ways I might mess up the high-tech electronics by doing this.<o:p></o:p>
    4) Throttle lock (poor man's cruise control) that will work with the BMW bars.<o:p></o:p>

5) Best location of Stebel horn and compressor.
    6) Any potential problem areas on the bike that I should fix before I head out.
    Thanks!<o:p></o:p>
    VT<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
  2. sab

sab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's what I did:

1) laminar lip affixed to top of stock windscreen, happy w/ it.

2) touratech for garmin 2720, other mts available that position GPS in same place.

3.b) wire centech block to battery, then put additional powerlet on right side under seat near brake res, and two more up by the winglets in the 'stock' location. There are holes in the bracket, but needed to drill through bodywork.

http://picasaweb.google.com/sbalch/CentechAP2Installation#

4) kaoko

6) I did an odyssey battery and HID conversion for hi and lo beams
  3. BmwRudy

BmwRudy Braaaaaaaaaap, BRAAAAAAP!

Oddometer:
    (2) TT GPS mount for my Zumo 550, mounts right above speedo on windscreen bar.

(3) BMW GS tank bag, large, comes off in seconds. However, $$
  4. AirBass69

AirBass69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Caterpiller part #8M4991 or Caterpillar Part #8M5266

It's simply and o ring that you put between the throttle and the bar end weight. Provides enough friction to keep the throttle open when you need it.
  5. nevermind

nevermind know when to fold 'em, know when to run

Oddometer:
    I'm 6' tall, 32" inseam and use the Laminar Lip, but I'm running the tall OEM screen, which is around $100 from an online dealer. I've run 2 ztechnik screens 2 ceebailey screens and 2 OEM screens and the tall OEM combo and laminar lip even with the top of the screen works best for me.
  6. CalgaryKLR

CalgaryKLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I amd 6'7", and did have the laminar lip until a bird in the Yukon took it off.

Went with a Parabelum, the big one. A bit wider, and taller. Nice pocket behind the screen now, and WAY quieter.

Virgil
  7. nevermind

nevermind know when to fold 'em, know when to run

Oddometer:

Who makes this?

Edit:

found it!

http://www.parabellum.com/
  8. ddg

ddg '09 R1200GS

Oddometer:
  9. Reverse

Reverse Armchair Tough

Oddometer:
    No buffeting can be had by going with a barn door screen, or by going with a flyscreen so you sit in a clean airstream. I personally like the Wunderlich FlowJet (for summer).
    [​IMG]
    In winter, I use the stock Adventure screen, and it suits me fine (6'4")

I use and like the Migsel mount:
    [​IMG]
    The fairing on either side of the handlebar is prepared for a Powerlet socket on each side. I bought a fuse block with switched and unswitched ports from EasternBeaver, a great guy to deal with.
  10. It's a bit daunting to see so many accessories and sources that are different than what I've grown accustomed to when dealing with the orange bikes. Your advice sure helps me with starting down this new path!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  11. strsout

strsout Banned Camp

Oddometer:
  12. Nice mods. What is a Wolfman Electric Bag? I looked on their site, but didn't see one. On my KTM, I ran a 12v feed into it and distributed power to a few accessories from there. I'd like to do the same on the BMW, if I can find one that would work well for this.

13. Reverse

Reverse Armchair Tough

Oddometer:
  14. BlairBear

BlairBear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All of the above ideas are great. I also have a 08 gs , and I found out real quick that that I needed more range. I added an aux fuel cell with 4.5 gallons of fuel with a deck built on top to strap my camping gear. It mounts in place of the rear seat and mounts just like the seat. Now I am good for 350-380 miles between fuel stops. I have needed more fuel than the standard tank many time already!
  15. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    Sir,
    Make sure the design of the bag is such that you can turn the handle bars all the way to the left without the
    horn coming on.

[TaSK]
  16. GSman of La Mancha

GSman of La Mancha So!? My dog loves me...

Oddometer:
  17. Thanks for all the tips!

I've installed a set of Fastways pegs ( I like they way they end up about 1 1/2" lower) a Touratech tank bag (slick mounting system and an easy bag to electrify) and will order a Kaoko throttle lock.

Next up will be the seat/windscreen combo. I'm leaning toward the Ztechnik "replacement" windscreen that's about 2" taller than the OEM one. Still struggling with a seat decision.

Also wondering which crash bars to get. Any recommendations?
  18. XR8David

XR8David Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good job! Fitted my TT tank bag tonight. Brilliant, super super fast to remove.

I have Hepco and Becker crash bars, so much cheaper than the rest its no brainer.

Get the TT rack extension and side stand enlarger.

I am using Andy Straps, made here in Auzzie, fantastic.
    Ordered my 41l Zega cases, on the way from Germany as we speak.

Have fun with your GS mate, I just love mine.

Cheers:clap