OMFG klr 650 wobble help!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tim007, Aug 25, 2011.

1. tim007

tim007 Banned

Oddometer:
    Ok so mk klr650 has a horible wobble from the front end .. iit sucks. Its making me not like this bike (and I love iit) I have not had it for a long time and I comute withh it every now and then 100miles.
    It has shinko 205 tires. Or something like that there a 50/50tire. Thw wobbble is defiinatly fron end it is at 55-75mph. At sslow speeeds I can feel a small wobble but at speed its fucked up .. any slight wind or movment by me on the bike and im all over my lane its a fucken deathtrap help!!!!!!!!! Any and all ideas are welcome. And if you hapen to live in portland oregon or vancouver washingto n you can drive the fooker to feel it as its hard to describe I wwould love to drive thiis bike all the time but if this persiists iim going to have to burn the fooker

Thank you all in advance
  2. okiebuckout

okiebuckout Dirt Diver

Oddometer:
    Mine does this also at speeds above 65, but it is usually when there is a strong head or side wind. I have read that the handguards, and front fender are a big cause. Some suggest getting an aftermarket fender to replace the sail that it comes with. Others suggest smaller stiffer handguards, and still others suggest getting a fork brace. The fender is a cheap trial. $30 shipped for my new fender. It is a KTM supermoto front fender which I just got today, so I should find out this weekend if it works. Do a search here or on KLR650.net, there is a lot of threads on this topic at the KLR site.

Good Luck.
  3. tim007

tim007 Banned

Oddometer:
    I also got told psi but what psi to run on higway. I have a ktm sumo front fender and also mayer handguards. This is also on klr:net
  4. MikeinSA

MikeinSA Don’t mess with the monkey

Oddometer:
    We're going to need more info. Tire condition? What year's the bike? How many miles? Were the tires balanced? Steering head bearings ok? Ever been wrecked? Air pressure ok? Luggage? How's the suspension setup? Wheel bearings ok? It's going to be one or a combination of the above. Start with the easiest and keep working on it, You'll figure it out.
  5. tim007

tim007 Banned

Oddometer:
    Its an 07 tiires are only have 100miles on them I have ammo cqns on the back suspension stock rear set on secons setting. Po recently did all maiintiinence like wheelbearings aswell as swing arm bearings ect. Bike has 19000 miles
  6. MikeinSA

MikeinSA Don’t mess with the monkey

Oddometer:
    Is it something new or did it start recently, like after the new tires were put on?
  7. Irnworker433

Irnworker433 XR650RRRRRRRR

Oddometer:
    Try a scotts or gpr steering stabilizer. Theres others too.
  8. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    Remove ammo cans,

check axle torques

tighten steering head bearings

run full rear preload

raise forks in triple trees 5-10 mm

35 PSI in tires while on road

no death grip on the bars
    KLR6fitty likes this.
  9. JimNtexas

JimNtexas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had something very similar happen to my Ninja 250. I had a fairly new economy tire, all of a sudden I got a wicked shimmy above about 55 mph.

I had a mechanic check the bike over. He said it was probably an internal failure of the front tire, since everything checked out. A new front tire fixed the problem.
  10. tim007

tim007 Banned

Oddometer:
    Im thinking it will be the tire aswell as the psi as the pis right now is in the 20s and the tire is a dot knobbie. Can't get rid of the ammo cans as they hold all my shit for school aswell as my rain gear and cold weather gear for just incases moments. Not alot of weight just stuff lol. And I would love to do a scoots dampnier but im short fundadge .. but if you want to donate im all for it :) ill check the sterring steem bearings tomorow and is soon as I hqve fundage im thinking im going to get some shinko 705's For better street manors maybe
  11. BigT

BigT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's the pavement surface like when you feel the wobble?

Some of the freeways around here have grooves cut into them that run latterly/with the direction of traffic, and they suck big time at speed!
    With my Shinko 244 50/50 tires, it can be downright scary. :huh

I also suggest that you remove the ammo cans, just as a test, to see if helps alleviate the issue at all. You might also try getting your weight forward like you would in heavy wind.
  12. tim007

tim007 Banned

Oddometer:
    I will see if I can do things tomorow I have an area to try items after each adjustment
  13. azshtr

azshtr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check at klr650.net for a better chance at help.
  14. tim007

tim007 Banned

Oddometer:
    Yeah im on klrnet awsell. I put this everywhere .. it helps in cqsting a big net to get alot of answers to the issu

Ok psi is uped tto 33 all around up from 23 lol .. also tthe sterring head is ok but is a litle loose not the loos that alows there to be any clunking just loose as in thhere is no drag on the bearing and I guess there is suposed to ba some drag .. like a car tire bearing. You want some drag so I will remove ittems and add some drag lol. And retest
  15. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think upping the preload on the rear shock will help a bit as well. The stock KLR suspension is super soft. I'm about 200lb and never could anywhere near the proper sag setting at the back with the stock spring.

Raise the rear, it will help.
  16. tim007

tim007 Banned

Oddometer:
    That's next after this
  17. curvinator65

curvinator65 Old but not done

Oddometer:
    I just put shinko 705's front and rear (2000 mi ago) on my mostly stock 2005 KLR; other than bar end weights, a front fork stabilizer, and a larger windscreen. I can easily run 80-90mph for 60-70 miles with no vibration (I only do this for convenience). The shinkos are quiet, grippy and corner great. I am 6ft 230# and the stock suspension is soft. This may not help you troubleshoot but these basic mods work great. I run 28psi on pavement.:1drink
  18. MattR302

MattR302 Awesomeness, Inc.

Oddometer:
    The same thing happens on my new-to-me DR350 at highway speeds as well. It needs a death grip on the bars or else its wicked tankslapper. I havent really looked into it yet.
  19. tim007

tim007 Banned

Oddometer:
    Ok so drag is set. I think lol I used some channel lock plyers to tighten it .. seemed to do the trick there not tight as hell but there not as loose as they were .. went took for a test drive got up to 70mph and no wobble. Went to 80 and wow did it wobble but atleast im now able to go faster than 50mph lol will play with suuspension next. Although I do like it soft I am 210lbs I checked today and when everything is set on high/its to harsh a ride. So I don't know .. the po said all the suspension is stock so its all stock

refresher ..update;;;
    ok so yeah psi raised to 32 ish.... and drag increased .... tires are new ...all i can think of is needing to figure out suspension i am 210 checked today lol but with the rear on high its leand forward and is to harsh of a ride so i dont knoe ill play with that some say its the ammo cans but i cant not have them on there as they hold all my shit i need ( there not for decoration) i have sumo fender so no sail up front

after suspension im thinking im going to switch tires to a shinko 705 or something of that nature more highway orientated to reduce vibration and chance of wobble
  20. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    It is the front fender flapping in the wind. Check tire balance too while you are at it and rim runout. You will be good to go.