BMW F650GS Dakar or suzuki v strom 650

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by bradfromoakland, Sep 17, 2007.

1. bradfromoakland

bradfromoakland VOID

Oddometer:
    trying to find the right bike for my trip to alaska. I know there will be a lot of slab but would like to be able do a little off road.. and future plains may take me to baja ca. any thoughts
  2. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the F650, not the Dakar - the Dakar was better off road.

I'd take a DL 650.

It'll handle good dirt roads with less rider effort than the BMW's and it has reasonable wind protection. For the road sections it's way ahead.
    The wind on the F used to beat me to death, not a problem on the DL. 300km's was a long day on the F, 1000km and I'm still going on the DL.

The positives for the BMW shouldn't come into play on that trip
    - better ground clearance - you can take road bikes on that trip.
    - 21" front wheel, also a non event unless you have large objects to get over.

"A little off road" pretty much is what the DL is good at, it's not a real dirt bike, but if it looks like a road you could get one of the pretend 4WD's down it'll handle it easilly.

That said, either will probably do the trip, so if you really want the BMW go for it. If you weren't doing it for the fun of the ride you'd just fly there right ?.

Pete
  3. BMR

BMR Long timer

Oddometer:
    The regular GS650 is a great road bike....I think the larger front wheel on the Dakar model (21 vs 19) handicaps it a bit for sporty cornering on the road.

This topic has probably been hashed over a few dozen times. Try a search for past opinions too.
  4. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    just take a gander at mica peak and look to see which bike has had more trouble the BigMoneyWaster or the DumbLooking650.

Really it comes down to which bike will make you the happiest
    Not some internet forum...

I ride the DL, and I wouldn't even think of the BMW.
    I have three airhead's in the garage.
  5. earthroamer

earthroamer Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer:
    Test-ride both bikes and pick the one that you like the most. There is no wrong answer.
  6. BMR

BMR Long timer

Oddometer:

Hmmm..another "My bike is better than your bike" reply. How original.
  7. bradfromoakland

bradfromoakland VOID

Oddometer:
    thanks for your help. it's hard to get a test ride on a DL around here. Bmw will have a test fleet.. but suzuki's not having it..... my old bike is a sportster so the new one witch ever will be better thanks...
  8. nakedape

nakedape n00b

Oddometer:
    Howdy!!

I have an xr650l which is being converted to supermotard, and a dl-650 that I have converted to a more serious ADV bike...I was considering many others, but I love the 650 twin engine; in my opinion is the best compromise for weight/power/perfomance (ie vibration, maintenence etc). The twin engine is vastly superior for on road riding, but unfortunately the dl-650 is a bit on the heavy side. I am taking this bike to alaska next year, and it will do fine. The Dakars in Canada are like 13k new, versus under 9k new for a strom. I have never ridden a Dakar, but I would like to know how smooth running it is over long distances/higher speeds. I know that my xr drives the blood out of my hands from vibration after long days of riding. It can be done, but might be something to consider.
  9. DougRoost

DougRoost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the Versys is a better design point than the Wee if you want a more road-oriented twin. Not only doesn't it seem to be the same size as a street bike, a parallel twin is a natural evolution from a single thumper. And that front cylinder and other engine components on the Wee hanging out down front is the last thing I want when going off road.
  10. DougRoost

Oddometer:
  11. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:

+1 !!!!

I did just that. I test rode both bikes. I really liked both bikes. But, for me....My riding is like this:

70% Pavement
    15% Maintained, Dirt Forest Roads
    5% Single Track or Pasture Roads

For me....the DL650 was the better choice and all it took was one run up Hwy 24 to Woodland Park, CO on the Wee and I was sold. Oh my God it loves the twisties!!!!!

It is also....not afraid of the dirt.

These two pics are from the recent, 3-day ride that the wife and I did (2-Up) with the Massive Givi 45 x 3. The Wee-Strom performed very impressively. Never a lack of power!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. DougRoost

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm....you call that dirt?
  13. Mz660

Mz660 Rydethere

Oddometer:
    I am horrible at taking care of a bike.:amazon I bought mine used last year with 2475 miles on her & I just changed the spark plugs and air filter @ 35,000 and she never missed a beat. I have ridden very rough gravel roads and even single tracked her. She may not be beautiful, but she seems to be trouble free. Also, even loaded she is great at passing trucks on the Mt. Passes. I have often considered the F650, but am glad i didn't buy one. Just look through some of the many threads like show us your v-strom and see how others are setting their bikes up. :pot

All those miles and still using the stock seat. I use the Tourances and am getting over 14k on the rear 16 on the front.
  14. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Either bike would be great for Alaska, both have strengths and weeknesses so decide where you want your tradeoff to be. As far as taking it to Baja, both bikes would be a bit too much for serious Baja riding ( for most people ). Both great, dependable bikes. Buy what makes YOU happy and it will be the right bike for your trip.
  15. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have struggled with the same question, V-Strom or Dakar or KLR...
    and finally found the perfect solution. Replace the "or" with "and" :evil

[​IMG]

--
    Mikko
  16. earthroamer

earthroamer Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer:
    Ahhh!! The correct answer.
  17. ekms377

ekms377 The 2-Stroke Guy

Oddometer:
    My wife and I have a DL650 and a F650GS. I think both are very comparable with each having their own pros and cons. I think the DL will be better on slab and the BMW on dirt.....but either can do both. The Beemer will get better gas mileage being a single and the DL will be better riding 2-up. The BMW is lighter as well. I think you could be happy with either....just go with your gut feeling......BTW both of our bikes are 4 sale.....ha ha.