2013 Colorado western slopefall colors tour

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Graywolf11, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Graywolf11

Graywolf11 Lobo Loco Moto

Oddometer:
    Between Cimarron Ridge and the Uncompaghre
    Colorado Western Slope Fall Colors Tour
    begins Thursday, September 19 :clap
    and ends whenever you get tired of following me around

[​IMG]

This is a big bike, 2-up do-able if you've got the skills, camping in a different spot each night tour of the Colorado Western Slope high country. We camp at lower elevations. These are all good forest roads and any routes that don't have a good base will have an alternate if it rains. There are paved routes around to the camps if any want to do road bikes. We usually have at least a couple of ladies ride but last year there was only one that braved the testosterone assault. Couples and ladies are most definetly welcome. This ride takes place the week after the KTM Riders Rally being held in Steamboat Springs this year. I hope that a few will stick around for the tour.

Thursday night's meal will be at Whitewater 18's home in Steamboat Springs where we will be camped in his meadow. Joe will be smoking up some of his delicious ribs with sides provided. 10$ at the door so please only sign up if you are going to make the event. Joe and Bonnie have their place up for sale so let's all hope the closing is in October.

Friday night we will be camped at the base of the Buford Road near New Castle. Some riders have expressed interest in renting cabins so they can throw me in the shower every couple of days. Our host is giving us a sweet deal at $20 per person for the cabins with the understanding that tent campers can use the cabin showers (tent campers bring your own towel) $10 for tent camping on a well groomed lawn. There are grills and picnic tables and our host Mark (also an inmate) will provide firewood for the campfire. pm me if you wish to reserve a cabin and if you have room-mate requests. There are single, double and queen beds for couples in separate bedrooms.

Saturday's camp is yet to be determined.

Everyone brings their own quick breakfast so we can get on the road. We stop for lunch and usually do Saturday dinner out. Remaining days are plan as we go. Routes will be posted on this first post

Stay tuned for updates.......:type

Thursday feeder route from Front Range;
    Meet in Estes Park at 9:30 am at Schrader's Country Store (gas), over Trail Ridge Road to Grand Lake, Kremmling (gas) , Gore Pass, Lynx Pass, Morrison Creek, Stagecoach, Yampa River, to Whitewater18's place for dinner.
    https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=S...;FeWkaAId7auh-Q&oq=Stagecoach&t=h&mra=ls&z=10

Friday's Route,
    Leave Steamboat (gas) for the Flat Tops; Old Dunckley town site, Williams Fork, Hamilton, Yellow Jacket Pass, Buford, Buford / New Castle Road, and cabins / camping at the Spruce Tree Guest Ranch just outside of New Castle. Our host will provide grills, firewood and a very nice lawn to camp on. Please pm me for cabin reservations.
    https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=C...-V-Q;FR1mXAIdVxuW-Q&oq=Meeker&t=h&mra=ls&z=10

I wanna get Squirrely Route!
    Leave Steamboat (gas) for the Flat Tops; Dunckley Pass, Ripple Creek Pass, Trapper's Lake Lodge for lunch, Buford, Buford / New Castle Road, Spruce Tree Guest Ranch.
    https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=C...FaEAXwIdCHmV-Q;FR1mXAIdVxuW-Q&t=h&mra=ls&z=10

Saturday's Route,
    Leave New Castle ( gas) for Divide Creek / Grand Mesa, Buzzard Divide, west side of McClure Pass, Paonia reservoir, Kebler Pass, Ohio Valley, Gunnison, Blue Mesa Reservoir (gas).
    https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=C...zEcu0uCZcd0QQ&oq=Blue+Mesa+rec&t=h&mra=ls&z=9

Sunday's route; for those who may continue on,
    Blue Mesa Reservoir, Cimarron Creek, Silver Jack Lake, Owl Creek Pass, Ridgway. At this point we can make a group ( or what's left of it) decision as to where to go next.
    https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=B...GCk25z0uBbQg&oq=Blue+Mesa+Rec&t=h&mra=ls&z=11

Sunday's route for those returning to the front range;
    Gunnison, Almont Taylor Park, Buena Vista, Infinity and Beyond!...
    https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=G...zE3Veeq56GEfQ&oq=Taylor+Park+&t=h&mra=ls&z=11

2. Graywolf11

Oddometer:
    IN!!!

GrayWolf11 Toro riding mower
    Whitewater18 KTM 990 ADV in stealth black
    Patj551 BMW F800 GS lowrider
    Bulwer KLR 650
    Mixedsignal KLR 650
    Coloradical KTM 950 ADV
    Meerobus BMW R1200 GS +1?
    Bmon BMW R1200 GS +1
    Lovin' it Strom V-Strom
    TBob BMW R1200 GS WC
    SteamBike BMW R800 GS
    GearSpray DL 1000
    Road Damage BMW R1200 GS
    TheDudeAbides BMW R1150 GS
    TheDudette
    The Rizz DR 650
    Whiskeyandbikes Wee Strom
    NKOrange KTM 640 A
    JimA DR 650
    Antics Honda TransAlp
    Cowboy BMW R100 GS
    Wyobrew KTM 950A
    Osprey! BMW R1200 GS
    Smitty141 KTM 990A

IN!! but no bbq
    Tenmile BMW F800 GS

Definitely Maybe!
    Elvis
    Colorado Col Rider Wee Strom +1
  3. GrizGirl

GrizGirl Long timer

Oddometer:
    IN!

I just wrote it down on the calendar. Oh, and plus one, even though I haven't talked to him about it yet. :lol3
  4. Tha Rick

Tha Rick Shake and bake! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :freaky

:clap.The social director has us signed up!
  5. Graywolf11

Oddometer:
    yahoo!!!
  6. Patj551

Patj551 Motorcycle & Empowerment Coach

Oddometer:
    Woohoo! Count me in!
  7. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    I'm tentatively in this year....like 99% sure. :D

Previous years it's conflicted with Hondo's Fall color ride that covers a huge area on streetbikes...but I haven't heard a peep from him yet, and I'd like to get the Husqvarna some seat time for leaf peeping - and see some different areas.

re: my tentative status - don't plan on me in the meal headcount to make the planning easier. If I am able to get away during the week....I'll fend for myself Thursday night and keep the planning simple for the host.
  8. CaptRick

CaptRick Still crazy..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Im gonna try... I really am...Now If I win the lotto between now and then, well then its a no brainier......
    Call me 60/40 IN....
  9. Graywolf11

Oddometer:
    Maybe Hondo could do his road ride the next weekend and then we'd have the full spectrum of fall colors covered :evil
  10. Snowbound

Snowbound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same weekend as the Hotchkiss Rallye . Maybe next time .
  11. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Call me tentative on a F800GS.
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Mark's ride is very un-rally like fo sho.

As always Mark i know it will be a great event and an awesome time of year to ride. I'll be in the N.E. leading fall color tours myself.
  13. Graywolf11

Oddometer:
    Have a great time out there. We'll miss you leading the fast crew. :ricky:ricky
  14. bulwer

bulwer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes!

When my grumpy ole boss asked "what vacation time are you planning to take this summer?", I said, "I'm waiting for September . . . I'm planning on doing the Fall Colors Ride with the A D V rider FF's".

I'll have a baffle in the V&H tail pipe on my KLR by then too.
  15. Coloradical

Coloradical Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm a tentative yes. I need to secure someone to get the boy to daycare but I think I can make it work.

Are Joe and Bonnie moving so you have a better parking spot for the RV? :lol3
  16. Osprey!

Osprey! a.k.a. Opie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Definite maybe!
  17. binskies

binskies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on the definite maybe. I need to see how much vacation time I have left after Westfest. I'll be on a KLR650.
  18. Cowboy

Cowboy Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer:
    :deal

That's too true! One of my most memorable rides was chasing Bill Eakins around all day in the fast crew on Mark's fall colors ride a few years back. Great people, great routes, great memories.

Count me as a definite maybe. I'm sure hoping the move is finished and life has settled by September.
  19. Graywolf11

Oddometer:
    I'd like to get an idea of how many might sign up for a room. Most beds are in separate rooms and the cost is only $20 per person. If you might be interested send me a pm. I only have one cabin reserved for now and the other cabins might:snore possibly fill up. I think by the 20th of August we should have the cabins booked
  20. mixedsignal

mixedsignal n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on coming along. KLR650