Can't judget a book by it's cover - 1965 BMW R27

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by lucky6600, Mar 31, 2014.

1. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As we were told, you can't judge a book by it's cover. This is one of the best examples.

Found this non-running for at least 25 years R27 at a friend's basement's extension's extension's extension. He said that's the best way to gain more space without paying taxed... ;-) The funny part was he was almost forgot he has this bike sitting there.

[​IMG]

After two phone calls, deal was made, and pick-up date was set.

[​IMG]

It was sitting on a block right next to the furnace. The dust was covered the whole bike which is kind of helping preventing rusty. It looks like everything is there and all it takes just few parts and a nice bath.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was very pleased and happy about how much I paid and what I got after I got home and had chance to take a deeper looking at her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After some light cleaning, and replaced some parts, she started at first or second kick (even when it's only 32F out).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:clap:clap:clapIt was super cold, but a test ride was a must !! :clap:clap:clap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:evil:evil:evil:evil

:freaky

However, the best part is just began. :norton
  2. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer:
    Score!
  3. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:

That's what I thought. It has everything, runs, stops, and looks pretty nice 5 feet away.
    Whatelse can I ask more for a 50 years old single?

Well, it comes out more than that:puke1:puke1

The engine was kind of loud, and the first run of engine oil was super dirty. Well, after sitting for 20+ years, I assume that's "normal".

After the second run of the engine oil change, the oil did NOT clear as it should be. The engine started making more noises especially when clutch was pulled.

uh.................

Time for digging into more .....

:norton
  4. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It didn't take too long to have the engine off the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took the engine to somewhere has better tools and knowledge for some "investigation".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is what we found .............

:baldy

:boid

:pain

:flush

:hung

For some reasons, moisture/water went INSIDE the block. ... Everything was shot !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin!

Oddometer:
    I think you need to get to know Renner, soon......Whatever you end up having to do , it WILL be worth it, I hope you know that....

:D
  6. Evo1

Evo1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    /subscribed!

My Dad is restoring one now too in Australia.
  7. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:

I had reached out to few mates here ( missed out Renner tho), talked to few airheads on the phone and in person regarding this issue. They all gave me different suggestions, and all are great.

*** PS: KARMA is a Bitch ****
    One of our mates pointed out that I crossed the line while ago while we are on the slinger talks. I am truly apology if I offended anybody. I was trying to make a joke of myself my borrowing time on my /2. Never thought I will have to dig that deep this soon.

Back on the single.

I had been thinking. Should I just ship the block out and have "professional" done, and call it off the day? Or, buy the tools, and do it myself.

Well, I was looking for a "project", and isn't this what I was looking for?
  8. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the mind set, used some home made special tools took the crankshaft off the block.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While searching for used parts and tools, the parts got some serious examed and cleaned.

Most of parts show the ages, but still all usable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got this used crankshaft off ebay after few emails with the seller. For that price, I took the chances. The item turns out as he describer.

[​IMG]

Even the slinger is clean

[​IMG]

I-tools arrived today, BIG thanks to " Detroit Steve "

Now, I am waiting the package from Meyer.

[​IMG]
  9. danedg

danedg Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer:
    Nice progress!
    How'd you drag the crank outta there?:ear
    Congrats on the AllInOne. :wink:
    This is what I ended up making for pushin' and pulling.
    [​IMG]
  10. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin!

Oddometer:
    I don't know how to really truly convey this, but.... these bikes are getting more and more rare by the day... ANY thing that you can do to save/salvage or make useable, will, by the day, become more "unobtanium"....

I had a gorgeous 50/2 in incredible condition that I had to sell because of $$ constraints back when the financial world imploded. I could never replace that bike for what I sold it for.... Do be conscious of the rarity and special nature of what you have.

Pitted parts are still parts, original, perhaps useable. Don't under-estimate what they are!!

:evil
  12. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    what precautions did you take before starting a motor that's been sitting for 25+ years?

did you squirt a few oz top cylinder lube like marvel mystery oil down spark plug hole?
    did you drop the pan to make sure everything is OK before starting?

besides cleaning out fuel tank/carbs .. above are the two steps I took before starting 74 R90S that had been sitting 25+ years in an unheated storage shed. as a further precaution tranny and final drive fluids were changed before test ride.

picture seems to show bearing getting surrounding area hot enough to change color
    [​IMG]
  13. globalt38

globalt38 "A Fist Full of Throttle"

Oddometer:
    What I find amazing and a testament to these bikes is that even in the shape you ultimately discovered it to be in - it actually started and took you for a little ride - in 32 degrees no less!:beer
  14. Renner

Renner combustophile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Classic :D

Great news that you're writing new chapters of this bike's book. :thumb

curious what year / what final drive ratio
  15. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:

We used some generic pullers, and it did the job pretty well.

And HEAT helped a lot.

[​IMG]

YES and YES!

Personally, I like everything to be original. It is only original once.
    I usually try to use whatever comes with the bike"s". Even went on ebay hunting the same year parts something to make the bike looks "original".

:clap
  16. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:

Well .. good questions.

When we were moving the bike out of the cave, the bike was on a brick so the wheels were off ground. We did make sure the wheel bearings were still in moving condition. After taking apart, I found grace still in there even with that many years.

Piston was moving with the kickstand (with hand) while bike was on the brick in the cave.
    Valves, top end, carbs, and oil pan were all checked and cleaned prior to start the bike.

The problem is the bearings were NOT in touch of any oil through out the years. I guess somehow mositure went inside.

If I had chance re-do it all over again, would I still try to run it without taking everything apart to check the bearings? I don't think so .....

I was told that buying a barn found old bike is just like gamble.

Yes, it was cold, but I just had to do it.

1965 and 27/6.

I don't aware R27 will have different ratio?

:norton
  17. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    yes cosmetics, wheel bearings, etc are important ... but did you drop the pan to inspect internals?

seems if internals showed rust ... one would spray oil all over before attempting to start motor.

did you put a few oz of top cylinder lube before starting?

the first few seconds of running are critical on any motor. especially a motor sitting for 25+ years. one has to assume everything is bone dry .. one would be prudent to spin motor with spark plug out to build up oil pressures before starting.

squirting top cylinder lube insures first few seconds of running has lube on top end. the smoke will clear out shortly ..

above are procedures learned from bringing back to life several bikes/autos after sitting for 20+ years. provided vehicle was stored inside .. have never had engine failure getting motor running again.
  18. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:

Yes, pan was dropped, cleaned, expanded along with the small oil pump at the bottom.

Top end was removed to exam the valves and piston top.

Everything looks dry, clean and moving freely.

The main issue was the crankshaft bearings were dry as well. The few kickstart spinning wasn't enough to bring oil up there.

After few drops of gas in the cylinder to trigger the first start, bike ran fun and stable enough for me to play around with the carbs and timing. At the time, the dry/rusty(???) bearings were starting to wearing out.

Do I learned my lesson? Oh Ya!!
    Would I do it again for what I have done? Yes. Would I take everything apart to exam the crankshaft bearings to start it? NO
    Overall, I am just a boy can't wait to play my new toy. :rofl
  19. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    if you dropped pan along with oil pump and top end before starting .. you did your due diligence. really puzzled why oil didn't feed to bearings?

your youtube video right after starting sure didn't give any warnings of damage to come. good luck on your project!

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GOVLf5L7uUg?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>
  20. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin!

Oddometer:
    Those engines don't have what we know as an oil pressure pump. The infamous slingers are the "filter", relying on centrifugal force to catch any debris after the oil has dribbled... Cam chain has a shot of oil going to it, lots of splashing and misting, but no high-pressure feed to the roller main bearings.

Kicking it over is tedious, and to get any real main bearing lubeing going on....lottsakickin!

:D