Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2014, 09:30 AM   #376
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,357
The trick with Cats is getting the "right" mixture of O2, NOx, HC, and CO. Too much O2 from other sources and they won't strip the O2 off the NOx. I don't think the Cats are going to plug up, but I'm pretty sure they are not doing the job they are expected to do.
Alaska Trip Report Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #377
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,265
I read that article before buying. It may not be apples to oranges, but the F800 is a 360 degree twin. I exhaust stroke on every engine revolution, both cylinders using a single Converter.

Harley twins are 45 degree V twins. An exhaust stroke at 315 and 405 degrees of crank rotation. In other words one closer and another further apart than our bikes. It would seem that when it occurs further apart there is more time for reversion to take place.

I agree with MTrider16, I don't expect any catastrophic effect on the converter, there are to many bikes out there running some type of device to enrich fuel mixtures with catalytic converters.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:31 PM   #378
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,131
Hi Everyone

Just installing my AF-XIED and I notice that the Australian model is a little bit different to the US one because it doesn't come with a charcoal canister. So ... just to be sure I don't do anything really stupid and expensive could someone confirm that I have the right connectors in the photo below

The yellow arrow points to the original BMW connectors ... 4 wires ... 2 white, 1 grey and 1 black. (There's a sign on the wall, but he wants to be sure, because you know wires sometime have two meanings!)

While I am at it I notice that some people put the controller up near the battery and others under the seat ... I'm thinking under the seat so its easy to get at to adjust ... but I'm easy persuaded if this is wrong.

Thanks in anticipation.

edit: having had a look at things I think I'm tempted to put the controller behind the side panel and run the earth up to the negative battery terminal.

Ducksbane screwed with this post 03-22-2014 at 12:03 AM
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:19 AM   #379
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
Hi Everyone

Just installing my AF-XIED and I notice that the Australian model is a little bit different to the US one because it doesn't come with a charcoal canister. So ... just to be sure I don't do anything really stupid and expensive could someone confirm that I have the right connectors in the photo below

The yellow arrow points to the original BMW connectors ... 4 wires ... 2 white, 1 grey and 1 black. (There's a sign on the wall, but he wants to be sure, because you know wires sometime have two meanings!)

While I am at it I notice that some people put the controller up near the battery and others under the seat ... I'm thinking under the seat so its easy to get at to adjust ... but I'm easy persuaded if this is wrong.

Thanks in anticipation.

edit: having had a look at things I think I'm tempted to put the controller behind the side panel and run the earth up to the negative battery terminal.
That looks like the right connectors, but best thing for you, is simply to follow the O2 sensor wire backwards and the first plug you see........disconnect it, and plug in the XIED in between. It really matters not if you dont have the CC.... well except for the fact you have better access.... Mine went under the seat for quick, but protected access.

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #380
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Hi Everyone

Thanks in anticipation.

You've got the right connector (white, white, gray, black) and either location sounds good. Let us know how it goes.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:31 PM   #381
lawe
lawe

Oddometer: 140
I took the first ride of the year today. And does that AF-XIED make a difference! . I know it's supposed to tune in after a some time, but right from start I feel a big difference. Now I have no problem running under 2K rpm in second gear without touching the clutch. I't really a lot smoother now from low revs and up.
lawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #382
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawe View Post
I took the first ride of the year today. And does that AF-XIED make a difference! . I know it's supposed to tune in after a some time, but right from start I feel a big difference. Now I have no problem running under 2K rpm in second gear without touching the clutch. I't really a lot smoother now from low revs and up.
Fantastisk.....

Erling
Old 03-22-2014, 07:23 PM   #383
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawe View Post
Congrats on your successful install.

Since the AF-XIED works by shifting Closed Loop lambda, the first thing improved is the part of the fuel map where we do most of our riding (chart below). You can see that most riding is below 20% throttle. Quickly, the Lambda Control Factors get developed, and then finally the Long Term trims that affect the entire fuel map.

If you have a stock bike, and don't reset the BMSK, things start to improve right away. The more steady speeds you run in varied gears, the faster all the adaptations happen.

R1200GS throttle angles and rpms from a local and highway trip. Each point is a report by the BMSK to the GS-911.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:43 AM   #384
lawe
lawe

Oddometer: 140
Forgot to say : I've got stock headers and muffler and a booster plug. But as I did say: Great improwment in local revs from start. :-)

Skickat frćn min Nexus 4 via Tapatalk
lawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:28 AM   #385
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
You've got the right connector (white, white, gray, black) and either location sounds good. Let us know how it goes.
Well ... I've ridden it about 200Km in lots of different conditions. I didn't like the mid range on the road at first, but its smoothed out a lot and I think it's smoother than it was now. I have a unifilter, a Leo Vince Carbon muffler and a booster plug which I left attached. I also have a 17 tooth front sprocket to make it a bit better cruising on the road.

I'm really impressed ... There is almost no snatchy throttle, it pulls beautifully from low revs and it now has that beautiful "Big Adventure Twin" thing happening where even at light throttle openings and lower revs serious things effortlessly happen. It used to feel "geared up" but now except when you want to go really slow off road it doesn't feel over geared at all. I gave another F800 rider a go and he said it felt more powerful and smoother in the delivery than his. Fuel economy has decreased but it hasn't finished adapting and I think I was probably going 20Km/hr faster most of the time so its probably not comparable.

It's seriously impressive on a fast gravel road ... it just feels effortless and I think there is actually more traction because you can be more precise with the throttle without the snatchiness. I think I will have to adjust the suspension before I take it out again! It doesn't feel like it is really powerful or anything, but when I looked at the speedo I was usually surprised by what it said!

So ... so far it is a big solid "Buy" from me.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:46 AM   #386
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Well ... I've ridden it about 200Km in lots of different conditions. I didn't like the mid range on the road at first, but its smoothed out a lot and I think it's smoother than it was now. I have a unifilter, a Leo Vince Carbon muffler and a booster plug which I left attached. I also have a 17 tooth front sprocket to make it a bit better cruising on the road.

I'm really impressed ... There is almost no snatchy throttle, it pulls beautifully from low revs and it now has that beautiful "Big Adventure Twin" thing happening where even at light throttle openings and lower revs serious things effortlessly happen. It used to feel "geared up" but now except when you want to go really slow off road it doesn't feel over geared at all. I gave another F800 rider a go and he said it felt more powerful and smoother in the delivery than his. Fuel economy has decreased but it hasn't finished adapting and I think I was probably going 20Km/hr faster most of the time so its probably not comparable.

It's seriously impressive on a fast gravel road ... it just feels effortless and I think there is actually more traction because you can be more precise with the throttle without the snatchiness. I think I will have to adjust the suspension before I take it out again! It doesn't feel like it is really powerful or anything, but when I looked at the speedo I was usually surprised by what it said!

So ... so far it is a big solid "Buy" from me.
That is fantastic to hear.
Cheers.

Erling
Old 03-31-2014, 11:48 AM   #387
KarTek
Boy Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Gentlemen,

I read through this thread, hitting the highlights and also tried the thread search with no luck. I was wondering if this device works on the F650GS version since it's essentially the same engine or is the fuel map. etc... different enough for it not to work.

Thanks!

1972 Honda Mini Trail, 1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 (x2), 2009 BMW F650GS
KarTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:16 PM   #388
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarTek View Post
Gentlemen,

I read through this thread, hitting the highlights and also tried the thread search with no luck. I was wondering if this device works on the F650GS version since it's essentially the same engine or is the fuel map. etc... different enough for it not to work.

Thanks!
It will work on any of the parallel twins.

Erling
Old 03-31-2014, 01:17 PM   #389
KarTek
Boy Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Brilliant! Thanks for the quick reply!

1972 Honda Mini Trail, 1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 (x2), 2009 BMW F650GS
KarTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:35 PM   #390
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarTek View Post
Brilliant! Thanks for the quick reply!
The controller is the same for all BMW motorcycles but the adapter cables vary.

I just helped Steve at Nightrider to spec the cable for the 650 and the first unit has been shipped to another member here. You should be able to get one from Beemerboneyard or Nightrider.