My Garage Of Doom.

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Lornce, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Abandon hope, all bikes that enter here..."

[​IMG]

This thread began back in January '08 as the rebuild chronicle for my '92 GSPD and went from there. In the mean time the projects are amassing while we work towards a new garage/work space. It's complicated. :beer

Okay, I wasn't going to post anything here about it but I'm thinking you guys might prod me to keep going and get it finished before spring arrives. :deal :nod

Basically I'm planning to do a complete motor overhaul on the bike, top and bottom ends. It's been burning oil like crazy since an incident last summer that saw it wallow and drown in a deep mud hole. I'm doing the whole motor because I'm not convinced the damage was limited to the top end. Plus, the bike had a history of a bad oil pump early in it's life during the PO's watch and only the big ends and oil pump were replaced (I've never trusted the bottom end), so I'm doing the whole enchilada.

I've got a good '77 R100S bottom end laying around that I was hoping to use to form the basis of the rebuild/replacement engine. (Anyone know why the '92 timing case shouldn't bolt right up to the '77 block?) This will of course, permit use of the '92's ignition trigger and the post '81-type Andrews cam I've got laying around saying "use me in a cool bike".

Main bearings in the block and main and big end journals on the '77 crank are in top shape and since I've already got the crank out of the block I'll probably have it dynamically balanced. If the '77 block presents "issues" I'll just replace the '92's main brgns and use it.

I've been using this '92 with a modded high compression 1050cc '77 RS top end for the last couple of years and it works quite nicely in the mid range with the stock '92 cam. I'm likely going to stick with that top end combination along with the addition of the Andrews cam which is a high lift short duration type (I'll dig up the numbers as I'm able, unless one of you have them handy?) which should further increase the midrange and top end urge.

Carburation is handled by a pair of modded '77 vintage 40mm Bings. No need to change those as they work well to provide good power, reliable service and reasonable economy.

The plan is to continue using this bike as before for all around riding chores from commuting to quiet evenings in the country to weekend sprints with the sporty-boys to extended camping/touring adventures. ie: It has to remain reliable and maintain it's useful extended fuel range. fwiw, since the high cr 1050cc top end transplant it's gently ridden range went from 550kms to 700kms from it's 35 liter tank. A 25% improvement in economy and power. I was pleased with that result.

I'll post pics of the disassmbly as it begins (in a good friend's heated garage!) in a few days.

D'I miss anything? :norton

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

joenuclear and Team Vegas like this.
  2. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    well, I'm in. :lurk
  3. clevishook

clevishook stevedore

Oddometer:
    I'll be watching the progress of both you and stagehand. Great projects.
  4. Eurobiker

Eurobiker Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    I'd send the trans off for bearing check, shimming, circlip mod and nylon shifter roller replacement with K-Bike steel one. :nod:thumb
  5. 929bladerunner

929bladerunner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice one Lornce, I'm on the verge of buying an old GS that I will want to strip/re-build (mainly cosmetic). I'll br wathcing and learning.:clap
  6. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    you said overhaul the top end- gonna go all the way?

how many miles on this thing, again?

Are you gonna touch anything aft of the tranny? (scope creep:evil )
  7. Lornce

Oddometer:
    Yes, going all the way: Top and bottom end. Bike has 240k kms and was running just swell before the mud bog debacle. Though I always suspected the mains were a bit wonky (see earlier note re. oil pump).

I *might* pull the tranny apart and have a look at bearing clearances. We'll see how the time goes before spring arrives (mid to late March, weather permitting).

Cosmetics? Maybe I'll spread some red tremclad on the crashbars. They're now almost entirely orange with rust. Plus I'm getting a new-to-me-like-new Corbin. The old one gives me monkey butt when it rains.
  8. datchew

datchew Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer:
    Ya Lornce! Another rebuild thread. That restore/rebuild section of advrider is getting closer everyday. I can almost taste it. :lol3

Welcome back from your long x-country ride on the /5. I enjoyed the thread.
  9. moosehead

moosehead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    south of the checkerboard....Bruce Penninsula
    Don't forget a new and improved flag holder....:D

:lurk

casa roberto awaits....:freaky
  10. kahoon

kahoon who's yer daddy??

Oddometer:
    What about playing in the dirt with your poser buddies around Hockley, and the '08 P2D :evil :deal

Look forward to watching the rebuild :thumb I've been thoroughly enjoying of the 9fiddy rebuilds thread in the OC.
  11. dfc

dfc nonattractive

Oddometer:
    Hey that bike looks familiar, and properly dirty. Is that a stock screen or did you get fooled by Gustafsson like I did?, Cant wait to hear how it works out, I plan to do push rod seals and rings this winter, much easier task.
  12. Lornce

Oddometer:
    Yah know Moosehead, the flag would still be flying if I hadn't broken it while packing up my tent near Winnipeg just a few days from home. Even after that your duct tape mod held the base in place for nearly 11k miles! Red Green would be proud of you. :norton Keep your stick on the ice! :thumb

Kahoon, straffing runs around Hockley Valley sideroads are high on the operational "to do" list once things are back together. I'll look forward to them. :wink: Though I might go lookin for a nice XR650R for the paris to Dacre! :evil

Not sure about the screen, dfc, it was in the spare parts bag when I got the bike. It was wearing a big touring screen when I first brought it home. Anyone want that? It's still sitting in my basement...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. DucatiPete

DucatiPete In denial

Oddometer:
    ya gonna bathe her before you operate? :amazon
    hehe
    luv these rennos...
    :lurk
    pete
  14. gonzomup

gonzomup ChainGang Recidivist

Oddometer:
    Save a seat for me, guys! [​IMG]

I'm cutting my teeth on a "refurb" of my 1150GS (link in my sig' line), but I'm waiting for the day I can do a refurb/restore on an R80. [​IMG]

Bohdan
  15. kahoon

kahoon who's yer daddy??

Oddometer:
    is the show starting soon?? :ddog

:lurk:lurk
  16. Lornce

Oddometer:
    I don't do this stuff for entertainment.

:flug

I'm waiting for parts to begin in earnest.

:bubba

Once they arrive there'll be a flurry of productive activity.

Till then....

:jkam
  17. kahoon

kahoon who's yer daddy??

Oddometer:
    When did you learn how to blow smoke rings :huh :lol3
  18. Lornce

Oddometer:

While deciding what to do with this POS 1150GS. :brow

:bubba
  19. kahoon

kahoon who's yer daddy??

Oddometer:
  20. notarex

notarex Can U taste the waste?

Oddometer:
    Lornce- I appreciate the advice you gave to me in my top end thread, so I will pass some on to you. In conversation w/ Randy Long he mentioned that a good cure for an oil burning airhead are the Deves "gapless" oil control rings. I will be using them in my rebuild, and you should consider doing the same. Or are you going to use your VW bus rings?