Call all XR600R!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CSMonte, Dec 8, 2008.

1. CSMonte

CSMonte Where am I?

Oddometer:
    Was wondering who else on here had a XR600R and what kind of mods and upgrades they have put on there bikes.

Mine is currently getting a big bore kit. Just hooked up a Trail Tech Vapor to it and SportVue MC2, some brand new DOT Rated Dual Sport Knobby Tires, FMF PowerCore 4 with spark arrestor and FMF Hi-Flo Header and last Frame is out for powder coating and fairing is getting a custome paint job.

Thats all I got for right now want to do alot more but just havn't bought the parts yet. My buddy told me theres a way to mount the XR650L electric start on the XR600R want to look into that.

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of me on the bike day after I got it, before I road it off to the hanger to brake it down.
    B3S3D3R likes this.
  2. lewismedlock

lewismedlock Follower

Oddometer:
    I bought my 86 from M and M Honda in Albuquerque, new, in July 87. It's seen 90 mph in the desert of New Mexico, it's been above 12,000 feet in Colorado, and all over NE Oklahoma. It's the best $2284 I ever spent.

It's still just like I bought it, with the exception of the tires, chain and sprockets, and air filter. I only ride it once or twice a year now. In fact, I haven't started it in a few months. It will wear my ass out to start it, but it still runs like a scalded dog.

[​IMG]
    gun 4 hire and Solito24 like this.
  3. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    I have a link in my sig line to the build from March 08.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Adjusted the valves last night, getting it prepped for a week in Big Bend Nat'l Park after Christmas.

[​IMG]
    lqgsrider and viducce like this.
  4. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Bought my '95 model in '96 with 2,000 k's on it.
    It has seen all sorts of abuse and some really filthy offroad stuff, and never let me down.
    Last year it finally swallowed the standard choke plate (I had the replacement part for 5 yrs but never got around to fitting it.) so I handed it over to a good workshop and got a new piston, rings, rebore, 2 new stainless inlet valves, then new guides, seats recut, all that stuff, and while it was there I got them to straighten the subframe (common problem with abusive owners) and plumb in an XR400 oil cooler, then topped it off with a full staintune exhaust with big bore headers.
    It goes real nice. I put heavier springs in the front for the 21 litre acerbis tank and a heavier (11kg) spring in the rear, but the rear should really be a 12kg.
    Also, I had the stator rewound and it now supports a hella headlight unit with a 55/100 watt hella globe. Recent additions include Pivot pegz (really cool to ride with) and a screen (old farts luxury). I'm about to ad a KTM folding morror to replace the acerbis pedal bike folding mirror I've been using for the last 10 years.
    All up, this bike has been an absolute blast to own and ride, and is a keeper. My first keeper, actually. I love this thing, and hope to be buried with it (not too soon though :lol3).
    Strangely, I have not fixed the godawful seat. This remains a mystery to me.:huh

I think my "old" XR600R is superior to many of the new flashy disposa-bikes currently getting around. It will do anything they will, and for longer, just maybe take a touch longer to get there. And that motor! Oh, I love a tractor. Pick a gear and just leave it.:lol3

IMHO the XR600R is the best dirt bike ever made. A true all-rounder.
    MotoLodiek and lqgsrider like this.
  5. Blakebird

Oddometer:
    werd.

I've had RFS, LC4, KTM 2T... this one will be around a while.

This winter I hope to find the time to:

JE piston, 1st over, 10.5:1
    Stainless valves
    mild cam, hardened rockers
    Mikuni flatslide

The suspension was the best money spent, by far. (Eibach spring)
    The local guy who did the forks and shock is a wizard.

[​IMG]
  6. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I agree with the suspension comment. Out of the box they just do everything from the word go, but the standard springs sag out very rapidly when a larger tank goes on. The suspension was the best money I've spent on it, it not only retores the handling but the ride is rather good too for an older type suspension.
    I forgot to mention before I addded a braided brake line (the rubber one turned into expandomatic) and a Braking wave disk on the front. Rear disc is now warped and shot (I'm not surprised) so that one's next.
    I also added a light-action clutch lever which cost a whole $14.95, and it makes a considerable difference to the riding enjoyment and fine clutch control. I still run the original grips and throttle, and I only replaced the original cables because I found a single strand had let go after 10 years. Not bad considering the environment these things operate in. A little simple maintenance is all they require for long life and reliable service (unlike my KTM, which is almost like sevicing a road bike).
    My chain and chaingang sprockets have done around 30,000 k's now and are starting to show signs of terminal wear, so replacements will be in order, but if I can get another decade out of the replacements I'll be happy. Overall, the bike has been cheap as chips to own, a breeze to work on, and a hoot to ride.
  7. SAFETYFIFTH

SAFETYFIFTH Let's Rip Lip!

Oddometer:
    beautiful bike blakebird
  8. misterkridered

misterkridered Red Rider

Oddometer:
    I have a 1990 XR600R that I bought new and a 2000 XR600R that I found in Columbus, Ohio last April and imported to Ontario, Canada. (Another story) Here's a picture of the two biikes in April.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a picture of the 2000 now after a few mods.

[​IMG]

I put on an Acerbis 23 litre tank, Renthal bars, 2" Bar Risers, Acerbis hand guards, Stock front fender, flush rear LED signals, XR's Only tail rack, disk guard and chain guard, Wolfman tank bag, fender bag and tail bag, Thumper Racing pegs, and skid plate. It already had the Baja Designs dual sport kit.
    Believe it or not, the 1990 is bone stock and has more power especially on the bottom than the 2000 with the Big Gun silencer. The 1990 is also quieter. I'm going to do a little experiment where I switch the entire exhaust systems and carbs on the two bikes. The 1990 has stainless headers that extend all the way to the muffler, but the 2000 headers combine sooner. Will post when done.
    I have Pirelli Scorpions for the street and Maxxis Desert IT rear, and Metzeler MCE2 front (not shown) for the dirt.
    The 1990 has been well maintained since new but thrashed pretty hard and has never had any motor work other than clutch plates and stator. Even drowned it in a river about 8 years ago but just did 7 oil changes to get the water out. These things are bulletproof.
    Carlo Muro likes this.
  9. keowidan

keowidan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's my 1986 Honda XR600R. It's in the middle of a bit of a reworking... new headlight/fairing, sidecovers, tail light fender combo, front fender, bigger tank... Here are the before pictures.

It got a Wiseco high compression piston and a top end rebuild a few miles ago, right before I got it.

Put a GPS on it for the speedo, new grips, new tool bag, mirrors, turn signals, a horn, DOT knobbies... hopefully I get it all done soon so I can go get it plated. Not too difficult in KY if you have the title and everything the sherriff wants to see... :ricky

I'm coming from a DR200... so the seat height and power are welcomed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. XRider

XRider Almost Lifelike

Oddometer:
    I got my current '95 XR600R (I've owned several) a few years back and I'm still nuts about it. It's like the Swiss Army knife of motorcycles, it'll do a little bit of everything and never leave you stranded. I've taken mine all over the Sierras, to Moab, and the deer trails in the Santa Cruz mountains. I really like how easily the bike lends itself to being modified and I've been sculping this one for a while. Here's a list of some of the mods:

Baja Designs DSK
    Baja D. 250 watt stator
    Two 55w halogen off road lights mounted on a custom light bar
    Scott's damper w/h billet top clamp for oversized bars
    Excell rims (black)
    IMS 4 gallon tank
    IMS ss pegs
    Trail Tech endurance speedo
    Custom bash plate
    FMF Power Bomb header
    FMF Ti4 titanium muffler
    JE 100mm (630cc) 10.5:1 piston
    Mega-Cycles full race cam
    Mega-Cycles hard faced rockers
    Kibblewhite Black Diamond valves
    Kibblewhite double racing valve springs w/h titanium retainers
    FCR41 Carb
    The head has been ported, polished, and port matched

I did all the work myself but I still may have won the contest for the most money spent on a XR600. It goes like a raped ape! On dry pavement while sitting way up on the tank rolling on the throttle will cause the front tire to rise 2 feet in the air and stay there until you let off. It's fun!
  11. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is mine

[​IMG]

[​IMG] (small tank)

Big tank

[​IMG]
    Bosnaexpress, Solito24 and mikejohn like this.
  12. XRider

XRider Almost Lifelike

Oddometer:
    Wow! OK you win. Is it as fast as it looks? Were did you get the tank graphics (on the small tank) and what did it cost? Looks real sharp. BTW if you need any parts for your 600 (stock or custom) PM me, I've got all sorts.
  13. Blakebird

Oddometer:
    We need to talk :D

Actually, I remember in my build thread -you mentioned pm'g you for info on wiring the 2x55w lights w/ the BD 250w stator. I never followed thru, but if you don't mind - I'd love to see how you did it.

The lights I'll be using are Hella Optilux 1180 - 55w H3 clear halogen projectors.
    I considered wiring one in w/ the AC side and DSK BD headlight, and the other switched on the DC side. Very open to suggestions though.

re: the motor work. Sounds verbatim on what I'm thinking of doing with the exception of the port work.... though I was looking at a 1st over on the piston - or somewhere between that and a 628 size. Do you think the 630 kit will retain the XR reliability?
    I rode an XR-L with 675 kit, and was impressed by the strength and character of the motor - so big bores within reason don't scare me, I'm tending towards conservative though.
  14. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The XR600 is an anvil of a motorcycle. WAY WAY under stressed. I had a 660cc kit in mine (10+ years) until an oiling problem killed it. Now it has an XR's Only 654cc piston. There is nothing like a BIG THUMPER. A cam, carb, pipe and away you go... Mine is 654cc, mega cycle cam and rockers, white bros. big tube (old style) header, supertrapp (long megaphone) race pipe and an FCR carb. YEAH BABY !!!! That's what were talking about. Good oil is all it gets. No noise. Easy to start. YEEEHAWWWW
  15. experiment70

experiment70 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Dang; that's sharp. Are those CR forks? Any tips for aspiring transplanters?
  16. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You will need an Emig Racing steering stem and bushing ($180.00) and weld on some stops to the bottom of the steering head at either side so the CR/CRF lower triple clamp has something other than your tank to stop it's turn travel!! Your front wheel will not work, it has to small of an axle/bearing size. Nor will the OE caliper mount up. It's all CR/CRF stuff. Ask me how I know. I just did it to mine...:lol3:lol3:lol3
  17. Blakebird

Oddometer:
    Yeah it is....I've seen those pictures before, it's good to see that bike again.

Very well done :clap
  18. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:

CRF450R forks (2005 I think)

CRF450R triples and stem machined down to fit into the XR bearings.

Not that hard to do and makes for a great bike
  19. rufus

rufus We're burning daylight...

Oddometer:

Is that an electric starter that I see???? Please tell us about it. I Had an xr600 I rode for years. Loved it, but I wanted e-start, less weight and no forks hanging below the axle. Honda fucked up when they abandoned this bike.
    enduro16 likes this.
  20. roadholder

roadholder Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a 93 XR600R for six years of hard trail riding, off road vacations, enduro, harescrambles, ice racing, you name. Nothing but routine maintenance and a few wear items. Similar time and experiences with an 84 XR500R years before that... and with a 2000 XR650R years since.

A lot of people are gonna miss that era of low maintenance, big durable and reliable thumpers. :cry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    az650l likes this.