Nicky Hayden

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Josephvman, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wasn't a big Nicky Hayden fan, but I have a lot of respect for the way he has hung in there at Ducati and scratched out the most he can from what is obviously a very difficult motorcycle to race on. There's a good article of quotes from him in the last issue of Cycle World, and I particularly find this one refreshing, considering the number of primadonna's in racing today, and he went up a few notches in my book with this:

"I take a lot of pride in what I do. I love MotoGP and racing motorcycles at the highest level. I come from Kentucky, where all my cousins are picking watermelons 10 hours a day. I don't have a hard job - 18 races, talk to a few people, sign a couple of autographs, fly First Class to some pretty nice countries, get picked up in a limo. There are worse options. And I've done worse. I'm no hard-luck story, but I've worked in the fields. I'm not going to complain."

If you can find the issue, read the article; good stuff from Nicky.
  2. pbarmy

pbarmy Long timer

Oddometer:
    :huh:confused:ddog
  3. Frog uk

Frog uk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been A big Fan of Nicky from day one, no whining, just gets on with the job and always gives 100%

Top man.
  4. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    How could ANYBODY not be a big Hayden fan. I was there when he was quickest every session, and not by a small amount. He won going away and then gave Earl a ride around the dry lagoon toting the stars and bars.

A great day in motorcycle racing. Pure Kentucky style Americana.
  5. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    Plus one or two to the fan mail above!!

I respect the work ethic on the track and professionalism in his brand representations.
  6. IgoFar

IgoFar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have all the respect in the world ffor Nicky. He' a true profesional. He gives 100% every weekend, he never whines or complains, and he's good with the fans. No matter what the future holds for Nicky, he'll still always have a world championship.
  7. Beez

Beez Given to fly

Oddometer:
    +3 BeezWife and I have been Nicky fans since his Hyper Cycle Suzuki days.
  8. motojunky

motojunky Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    I have a lot of respect for Nicky, for the reasons mentioned above.

My wife was a big NH fan back in the Superbike days when he'd still sneak in a dirt track or three in a season. We were at the flat track national in Harrington, DE one year, walking the pits post-race. I had recently attended American Supercamp and was chatting with Chris Carr in the pits. Chris' wife had a puppy with her and my wife was playing with the puppy with her back to Chris and I. Nicky walked up, politely waited for a lull in conversation and began talking business with Chris. I excused myself and we walked along. I asked my wife what she thought of being up close and personal with Nicky... she hadn't even noticed as she was so wrapped up in the puppy. :D
  9. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    saw him get his first half mile win!
  10. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer:
    Nicky's has always been high on my list of heros. :thumb
  11. Nails

Nails Ultimate nOOb

Oddometer:
    I became a Nicky fan when he was riding the Harley 883 class. We went to Laguna Seca and it rained all weekend. He took his steel dirt track shoes and put them on his boots and slid through all the corners and won the race. That was genius and awesome.
  12. Bendernz

Bendernz Torrential

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Rode that difficult Duc hard all last season, always smiling. Compare that with the Italian superstar, and Nicky came away with a lot of respect for his work.

Maybe Vale needs to get out and dig a few tons of spuds.

:rofl
  13. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't say always smiling, this past season was as close as I ever saw him look frustrated. But he tried to put a good face on it, even then.

Do we want to discuss the number of times his previous team mate threw the team under the bus?

I think that, compared to both 27 and 46, folks came away with the impression that 69 was THE class act of the paddock.

As his riding career comes to a close in the next few years, I really hope that Ducati recognize his value as an ambassador for the marque, and employ him accordingly.
  14. YnotJP?

YnotJP? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nicky Hayden is a class act, always has been.

Us old timers understand that old saying; "the cream always rises to the top."
  15. WRW9751

WRW9751 7th Day Adventurist

Oddometer:
    I have always knew just how good Nicky is! I was kinda disappointed when he decided to go to the International Arena. I would have been Thrilled to see him ride Road Race and jump on a XR750 win a mile or a Motard, SuperX! He has that kind of talent! He has the kinda versatility that Kenny Roberts, Cal Rayborn, Wayne Rainey, Gary Nixon! I don't need go on, you get the picture. Can you imagine how AMA would have been changed if ALL the Hayden's would show up as a team! With a 1/2 a can of whip ass open!
    A new definition for Wrecking Crew!

WOW!
  16. nsu max

nsu max Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^ I couldn't agree more,My wife and daughters and I used to watch them at the Elkhart Co. Fair race here in northern Indiana and you knew you were watching greatness!
  17. stk0308

stk0308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What year was that? I don't remember Nicky ever doing an 883 race.
  18. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    I'm sure he's a fine man n'all, but you know, that hangin' in there has probably been to the tune of $2M a year. He wasn't ever going to consistently beat the Aliens whichever bike you gave him so like Edwards, he's been collecting a big paycheck for little actual results (in MotoGP).

I have no doubt he could clean-up in any national series and would be a potential champion in WSC on the right bike.

And he still doesn't speak a word of Italian that I'm aware of. That's a shame, he might have developed a winning bike if he'd learned the language.
  19. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    He doesn't speak English all that well either. :rofl

I think he might surprise you with the Italian he can speak, though. They sure love him.
  20. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    :lol3

I wanted to mention that too, it seemed a little cruel. :D