BMW G650X Issue Log (xCountry, xChallenge, xMoto)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by agmoto, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Vladtux

Vladtux Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you check the sparks plug?
  2. danielks

danielks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, but think that it isn't the problem... the Xco have 5700km.... anyway, soon will be replaced by iridium ones!
  3. HH060g

HH060g Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if anyone has the hot wont start problem still on their G650X's, but after using google to the max, it seems that BMW issued a new decompression lever, Part # 11.31.8.540.965. The new G650GS's are having a rash of the same issues so i guess in May 2012 BMW spit out a new part to solve the problem. Now the question is, since these are basically the same motors and my bike is having the same symptoms as the 2011/2012 bikes, would the solution BMW conjured up for the GS work on my X?
  4. HH060g

HH060g Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you try to order a decompression valve on-line for the x, It is the same as the Part number listed above, so i think i just answered my own question. I will give it a shot and see if i can get gas and not have to wait 30 minutes before it will restart.
  5. danielks

danielks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HH

I had a 2002 F650GS DAKAR - similar 650cc engine, 1 spark plug.... with 15 000 km, never had engine stopping problems....

When I need to tune my valves, will replace this decompression lever... can be this one.... :huh

6. Royal Tiger

Royal Tiger Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer:
    I looked for an iridium plug but didn't see one listed in any of the after market parts catalogs so I ordered the stock NGK DCP8EC. I think that's the number by memory. Lol
  7. HH060g

HH060g Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    The NGK irridium plugs DR8EIX also have a part number 6681. Napa did not have the DR8EIX partnumber in their computers, but they did have the alternate number. My Napa had to order them, but with Napa that means either the same day or the next day and for a LOT less money then Wunderlich.

KP
  9. HH060g

HH060g Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I literally ordered my plugs from them yesterday... lol. Autozone and Discount Auto in my area seemed clueless, i didnt even try NAPA. Oh well, next time. Now i know. :1drink
  10. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    yes, I don't like autozone at all, they don't even try. I always have had good luck at the two Napa's I go to. They seem to always go the extra mile to get me what I want. They have people who actually know and understand what they sell and WANT to to help you. YMMV, it is all about the people.
    kp
  11. Royal Tiger

Royal Tiger Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer:
    So I can use that iridium with no issues?

Thanks.
  12. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
  13. Royal Tiger

Royal Tiger Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer:
    Thanks Marc. I ordered 4 of the copper cored ones but I'll pick up 2 iridiums.
  14. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    I bought an xchallenge recently and the rear plastic white part that goes form the seat to the rear light has some cracks in it. It seemed like a repair was attempted with epoxy / fiberglass but did not work. The part is made of something else then fiberglass. Anybody know what works with this plastic for repairs?
  15. Two Wheel Tractor

Two Wheel Tractor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :norton Hello,

Looking to build up a good touring tool kit for my BMW XChangeller 650. Wrenches, sizes, hex sizes, etc..
    Please post or send a link.
    Thanks !!!
    please reply to web link !
  16. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is the plastic actually cracked all the way through, or is it just the white paint/coating over the plastic. Mine has several chips and cracks, but the plastic part itself is still intact. I've just left it alone. I'd probably just dump it again after I painted it. :muutt
  17. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    The plastic itself is cracked in 3 places due some abuse (fun).

Kp
  18. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't imagine any repair to the plastic that would hold up. My guess would be just replace the piece. I'm sure bmw doesn't charge much for that rear piece.. :lol3:lol3
    All three of my plastic pieces are pretty banged up. Both fronts along with the rear.. I've just been putting stickers over the chips in the white paint. Maybe I'll replace them if I ever sell the bike..
    "Never dropped" "Like new" ha..:wink:
  19. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    new one is "only" $223. I will have to start experimenting.

KP
  20. orlando_orange

orlando_orange deslyxic tepyr

Oddometer:
    not sure exactly what type of plastic the fairing is but if it is ABS then you can weld it back together - you can buy ABS welding rods and then use a decent soldering iron to weld them back together - have done it on my old bike. there's also a chemical welding method but can't recall which chemicals you need...

for the plastic welding you basically file the cracks to make a nice groove (the ABS rods should be a triangular cross-section) until the rods sit in them nicely, then apply the soldering iron to melt it all together... takes a bit of practice but i dropped my old super tenere on the welds plenty of time and they didn't crack again....