The F800GS Seat

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by M N B, Dec 14, 2008.

1. M N B

M N B would rather be riding

Oddometer:
    I tried both seat options out when I bought my F800GS. I went with the low height seat for two reasons. I have a 30" inseam and the normal seat had a bump right where your tailbone is, which was uncomfortable just sitting on it. I hate to think how even 60 miles would feel.

The low seat proved to be rather painful after 60-90 miles. So, being 40 miles from Corbin's Hollister factory, I went down there and had a custom seat made:
    [​IMG]

It really changes the look of the bike and it sure makes a HUGE difference in ride comfort!
  2. 10Cup

10Cup Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweet................ I have one on the way too! Can't wait.:clap
  3. divingbiker

divingbiker True Blue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great looking seat.

Has the new seat changed the overall height of the seat? Can you post a photo of you sitting on the bike showing your reach to the ground. (Your inseam is the same as mine)

How much was the seat and what was the lead time for production?

I know, its a lot of questions. I took a long ride on my F8 this weekend and have GOT to do something about the seat.

Thanks
  4. M N B

Oddometer:

I don't have a photo of me on it yet. I asked them to shave a bit off the height if he could without making it feel like sitting on a board. The web page said the stock design was halfway between the stock normal height and the low height seats and the bike is pretty tall for me with the low seat.

I've been playing with the preload on the rear shock trying to find the sweet spot between backing it out of my driveway and over the soft curb without dumping the bike and not bottoming out over bumps. Of course, once all the metal parts arrive to bolt on, all that will change again...

I got it out the door, with 8.25% sales tax and $15 shipping of my old seat back to me for under $500. The custom fitting was free of charge. I paid the web site price on the seat. The leather choice and stitching used didn't cost any extra.

I called them on Wednesday or Thursday and asked to come in on Saturday. I don't think there's much lead time, especially right now in the off season. I don't know if they premade the pan/foam base before I showed up just for me, or if they stock a few on the shelf and just grabbed one for me. It took a while before they were ready for my first fitting, so they might have built the whole thing from scratch in the back while I waited...

The changes I requested were minimal. I think it's easier to toss a leg over this seat than the stock seat due to the lower scoop. The foam is pretty hard (intentionally so) so it doesn't compress like OEM foam. This allows a better fit and much longer life. It also means the physical height is lower for throwing the leg over I think.

I still think I'm going to put a wedge under the kickstand to lift it about an inch or so since the preload increase has meant a more drastic lean when the bike is on the kick stand. It's something I'll put a great deal of thought to before I make the change (no welding will occur) because I don't want to add too much height. Having a bike fall over on it's own would be bad.

I forgot to grab the tools out of the seat before I left the old one there... They're shipping the old one back to me, but those torx wrenches would be handy right now. I have other torx, but they're shorter L-shaped type wrenches and not as good in some uses. Normally, no problem. But I have some farkles to install...
  5. backroadsandbeyond

backroadsandbeyond Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went with the lower seat so I could fit an air hawk. It should be a super comfy ride
  6. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    MNB, I think either your sidestand or the mounting bracket are bent. The bike is definitely leaning over way more than mine, and I have the preload jacked up near the max.
  7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    +1

Sure looks that way to me too, MNB, unless the camera angle & lens are really distorting the image.

David
  8. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got one of those sitting the Corbin shop in Florida, waiting for me to pick it up when I'm there in January. Looks good! :thumb
  9. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    If so, why did you buy the GS? That huge bump (rise) is going to get in the way whenever you get off the paved roads. Nice looking bike. :thumb The seat? Not functional on a bike like that.
  10. M N B

Oddometer:
    The lens is slightly wide angle on my point and shoot, plus there is a slight decline on the concrete there, so the lean is more than it would be on a flat surface.

The service mgr checked the kickstand and bracket when it was in the shop just a few hours after this photo was taken and felt it was fine. I'd checked it as well and it feels good and strong. The flat part on the end of the stand is perfectly parallel to the ground. If it wasn't, I'd suspect it was bent.

I plan on doing a decent amount of off-road riding. I've already done stand up riding on the bike and the 'huge bump' is no problem at all. I just stand up. It's very functional and extremely comfortable sitting down.

There's a big bump on the 1200GS, doesn't seem to prevent people from doing RTW trips on them...

If it becomes a problem, I can take it in to Hollister for a rework (first rework is free) and slim out the contouring.
  11. Navaho

Navaho Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been waiting on my Corbin for several weeks now. I sure hope it comes in soon.

Looks like your seat is a bit lower compared to the standard one that Corbin makes.
  12. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    While Corbin has a good reputation for quality and comfort, I have a hard time adjusting to the "look". Bikes with a Corbin seat always seem to look like a cruiser. The F8 is a dirt bike, and the style of the OEM seat reflects that image. Frankly, I have had no issues with the OEM seat at all, but I do realize that seats are a very personal thing.
    NoVa Road Warrior likes this.
  13. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    I have been waiting on my Corbin also...ordered about a month ago.
  14. M N B

Oddometer:

I dunno, I think it looks more like a sport tourer seat than a cruiser. The stitching's a bit cruiserish, but I didn't want plain leather and that design was what was on the website, so I went for it. They'd have stitched up anything I wanted. I could have alternated magnesium and anthracite colors if I wanted...
  15. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    So...getting it without the stitching is not an option?
  16. M N B

Oddometer:
    Some amount of stitching is required to make the cover. There is a fair amount of extraneous stitching on my seat that's more for looks. I have a seat with minimal stitching for my K1100 and I think it looks kinda weak personally.
  17. 10Cup

10Cup Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am having Corbin put the Carbon Fiber vinyl on top with smooth sides. Water proof and should look good too. (I hope)
  18. 10Cup

10Cup Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes it is, but they don't recommend it. Apparently they have had some seats form a (bubble) where the cover comes un-glued to the foam under it so they like to see some stitching on the seat. You can get it without however your choice.
  19. AngryRed

AngryRed Lost in Cyber Space

Oddometer:
    I rode to San Diego from Vegas Friday and then back again Saturday. 810 miles total in 2 days and I learned one thing, my seat has to go.

I had a Corbin on my KLR and it was ok, I'm looking at the Touratech one closely as well.
  20. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    Although Corbin states we can make it just as you like they highly recommend you order what you see pictured. I kept asking for Corbin seat that I had on my F650gs DAKAR "dual canyon" model. He advised...

"Because of the original factory sizing we find this (pictured on the web site) works better and since the seams are on the under side it will be more comfortable." I gave in a ordered the cruiser stitching. It may not look right but I will have a comfy ass!

I went with "carbon fiber" looking leather seating and the "carbon fiber" vinyl sides. Leather for the seat and vinyl sides also recommended.