Yamaha WR250R Threadfest

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by gjcarving, Nov 23, 2013.

1. gjcarving

gjcarving Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wondering if anyone got a WR250R and later regretted it. And If so why? I have heard a lot of great things about these bikes, and only a few negatives. Just would like to ask the question as looking to possibly downsize my other bikes and pick one of these up. Thanks!
  2. NVTS

NVTS Arrivee Secteur Special

Oddometer:
    Google... Advrider wr250 vs any other thumper in existence. That search will keep you here and give you plenty to read. NVTS
    MVI, N8, Bultaco206 and 2 others like this.
  3. valvecrusher

valvecrusher tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer:
    someone in 1990 parked an NX250 too close to an XT250, and 26 years later there is a knock at the NX2's door on Fathers Day.

If you buy a WR2 and regret it, you didn't have a clue what you really wanted to start with.
  4. rhollamby

rhollamby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No
    RTWstare and N8 like this.
  5. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1:1drink
    RTWstare likes this.
  6. rickcj7

rickcj7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I moved up to a Husky 630, why? It just runs down the street/dirt roads so much easier (50 hp vs 25 hp) and that's what I ended up doing more than tight trails.
    simmons1 and MVI like this.
  7. Mr.Black999

Mr.Black999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not to do a bike vs bike but the WR250R puts down 25 hp on the dyno in stock form while a quick Google search tells me the TE630 puts down 35 Hp.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/te630-dyno-results-and-thoughts.24763/

Also to answer the original posters questions, the WR250R is the most fun I have had on two wheels. It will go anywhere and do anything, I have cruised with guys on sport bikes to gnarly single track with dirt bikes and it's all be fun.
    Wardog327 and Baccadon like this.
  8. firstlog

firstlog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had mine for two years. I don't really regret buying it but I am glad I sold it. I think it would have been the perfect bike if I had a week at a time to take long winding tours along backroads and dirt. It would also have been great if I had lived about 30-45 minutes from an offroad area. Unfortunately neither of those are true.

I found it heavy and slow offroad but capable and just slow on the road. The KTM 200 I have now is way more fun offroad, and the sv650 I used to have was way more fun onroad. It would be a good commuter.
    Jthewood, randingo and 268fords like this.
  9. Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy NorthWest Adventure Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I personally know two people who had WRR's and sold them for KTM's...both wish they would have done it sooner. :deal

Great bikes.....but there are other options out there that may be better depending on what your doing with it.

Hodakaguy
    OU812 and Jthewood like this.
  10. rickcj7

rickcj7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you ridden a 630? :):thumbup
  11. what broke now

what broke now Petroleum Brother Supporter

Oddometer:

What mix of riding would you use it for?
    What other bikes do you have now?
  12. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    It does seem like guys who want to ride a WR250R somewhat aggressively end up with so many mods that I wonder why they didnt buy a faster bigger bike to start with. Over all it seems like people like em but the bike needs a lot of work, like most cheap japanese dualsports.

Id like to try one to see what all the hoopla is about. 300 lbs/25hp,that could wear thin after a while.
  13. NorthCoastRider

NorthCoastRider Livin' the dream

Oddometer:
    It's a great little bike but the KTM 350 that I sold the WR for is twice the bike.
  14. matt33

matt33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If we ever meet, you'll know 3. I've actually owned 3 WRR's since 2008; they are good machines, just down on power. I finally decided to buy a KTM 690 Enduro R and I couldn't be happier.
    Paulo Enes Gomes likes this.
  15. TexaNate

TexaNate Fortune Favors the Bald

Oddometer:
    The WR250R is a very special tradeoff machine. The most common complaint is a lack of power. Engine and exhaust mods can help compensate. However, to get a substantial amount of more power out of a machine this small (a 250) would mean enduro-like maintenance intervals. The WR250R goes 26,000 miles between valve checks and it's essentially bulletproof, just gas and go. There's nothing that's as fast as a WRR that is also as easy to maintain (unless you count the 400lb+ "big bikes", 650s and such, which you probably don't want to toss around in single track).
  16. Huskyfatman

Huskyfatman Stinky Wizzleteats

Oddometer:
    Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Mr.Black999 [​IMG]
    Not to do a bike vs bike but the WR250R puts down 25 hp on the dyno in stock form while a quick Google search tells me the TE630 puts down 35 Hp.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/te6...houghts.24763/

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    I haven't ridden either the WR or 630, but have been interested in and researched both (the WR for the GF and 630 for me). Seems they are both pretty corked up in stock trim.

The bike in the Café Husky link you posted seems to have had some fueling issues compared to most other stock 630's I've seen, which were in the low 40's stock, and close to 50 piped and programed. By the end of the thread it made 48hp and torque in the high 30's

A quick google on the wr250 shows 22hp and 14ftp stock.
    http://www.wrrdualsport.com/tech-gui...sting/71-dyno2
    Uncorked they seem to make close to 30hp and almost 20 ft-lbs
    Apples to oranges, IMO they are both too heavy!
    kvango, alvincullumyork and Sniper X like this.
  17. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    I can't wrap my mind around the notion of regretting any bike purchased.

This just doesn't compute in my world. So, maybe your asking the wrong question.

HF :hmmmmm
    Drdirt55, TaZ9, DesertPilotAZ and 5 others like this.
  18. Hardroad

Hardroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ask yourself what do I want to do with the bike?
    Do you like to spend your time working on your bike?
    Every bike has it advantages and disadvantages.
    I've been riding since 1959, rode many, many different types, on and off the track.
    The WR250R has many things that I like.
    Remember it is a 250 and not a 650.
    Enjoy your search.
    Hardroad
    Drdirt55, Baccadon and Beejaytee like this.
  19. Mr.Black999

Mr.Black999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The WRR is heavier than other bikes in the dirt for sure but that doesn't me it can't go where other bikes go. Also this notion of down on power always confused me, what is it not capable of doing with the amount of power it has? I know one thing it will go fast enough to kill you stone dead and I've never had trouble keeping up with any other bikes off road with it.

I sometimes believe that people around here love to work on bikes more than ride them, and that more people need to go to the gym :D
    Tallyho, Wardog327, slipknot and 11 others like this.
  20. kawagumby

kawagumby Long timer

Oddometer:
    The plated KTM's aren't as good on the road, don't have the durable subframe, and believe it or not, for adventure, a bit heavier is better on the hiway. The KTM 690 is better on the road, but it is just as heavy as the WRR offroad and most guys have to revalve the suspension. 10K and your turn signals melt? shameful, IMO. My bro-in-law and my 2 nephews each own a KTM 500 excf dual sport and I notice they don't ride them near as much as I ride my WRR - and I'm the old guy with the bad back.

Where the WR shines is it's ability to do it all at an acceptable level (for most folks). I can ride mine in the tightest single track, but I have to go slower than my full dirt bikes. I can ride it on the highway, but it is a bit light and working hard for that use. And yes, I've done a lot of suspension mods to keep it wheels down in the harsh that I ride, but suspension is everything to me and my skill level. I think the power is fine...I enjoy the smaller bore bikes after decades of riding open class machines. More challenge = more fun and longer lasting rear tires.

I have owned a lot of bikes, and have come to understand that no one bike can be all things to all people, regardless of money spent, mods, or brand.

I still have my 08, and that's a long time for me to keep a bike.
    Gordon, Wardog327, TBird1 and 10 others like this.