Enterprise Or. to Vale/Harper route Advice

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by LetItRoll, May 27, 2013.

1. LetItRoll

LetItRoll ForwardAholic

Oddometer:
    Trying to find somebody with knowledge of the area(s) between Enterprise oregon, heading as efficiently as possible South down to anywhere between Ontario, Or. and Crane, Or. That is the only section I have not covered of a larger trip I am planning from Lewiston Id. area down to the corner of S.E. Oregon (Fields/Denio). I see alot of roads on Google earth that either go S.E. from Enterprise down towards Oxbox/snake river, then curve back in to Halfway or Vale, Or the other way S.W. towards Baker City and down towards Juntura, Its just hard to tell from the maps/google road conditions and likely speeds to plan overnite stops, etc. Prefer to stick to dirt roads, usually avg. 150 to 275 miles per day depending on conditions, some short stints on slab okay, NO superhighway, NO singletrack.
    Thanks
  2. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    The Eagle Cap Wilderness is in the way of heading south efficiently. So it looks like you would be headed south on HWY 39. A few miles after you cross the Imnaha River take a right on Fish Lake Rd and that takes you to Halfway. On to Richland and take Daly Creek Rd south over the hill to Durkee. Follow the Burnt River Canyon Rd to Bridgeport and head south towards Malheur Reservoir. Take a right on Willow Creek Rd and head for Ironside. Head south on Rose Creek Rd to Beulah Reservoir and a few miles south of that you end up in Juntura. Most all of this route is good dirt/gravel roads except for HWY 39 of course.
  3. LetItRoll

LetItRoll ForwardAholic

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I did notice most of those roads in some of my map pre-run, helps to know that they are mostly decent. What is the Hwy 39 portion like? I may try and return a different route, so am also looking at going S.W. around the wilderness. Anybody familiar with any of the backroads (dirt,remote paved) between baker city up to anywhere between Dayton and Lewiston, would also be helpful.
    thanks
  4. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    Really fun, twisty pavement. Sometimes some potholes, sometimes not.
  5. LetItRoll

LetItRoll ForwardAholic

Oddometer:
    That sounds good, in fact that just makes me want to go riding -- NOW!

thanks
  6. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
    If you go 39, be sure to take the side trip to the Hells Canyon Overlook, both for the view, and for the even-twistier road.
  7. EOKYLE

EOKYLE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is a route I drew up in a couple minutes. I don't know what time of year you were planning this trip but the road over catherine creek to sparta might still be closed. Its almost all gravel except for a 20 mile stretch from Wallowa to Elgin. Hope this Helps a little.
  8. LetItRoll

LetItRoll ForwardAholic

Oddometer:
    Thanks, any local knowledge is always appreciated. Do you know what the traffic flow and speeds usually are on the section of 203 south of union? Looks like that would save me alot of time/miles depending on my schedule.
  9. EOKYLE

EOKYLE Adventurer

Oddometer:

Staying on the highway Between Union and Baker It usually doesn't have much traffic flow unless its during a busy camping weekend or something. Speeds over the grade are anywhere from 40 to however fast you like going :wink: Its a pretty drive. You could also leave Troy and take THIS route using FS62 over lookout Mtn. to Elgin. I would do that because it is a smoother road and much, much, prettier to me. Anymore questions just let me know and I would be happy to give ya my best answer :D
  10. silverdog

silverdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Richland- over Lookout mt -up Burnt river- to Unity- to Senaca...
  11. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
    Traffic flow near Seneca.

[​IMG]
  12. LetItRoll

LetItRoll ForwardAholic

Oddometer:
    Nice, I am okay with all different kinds of road surfaces, I just strongly prefer that kind of traffic (few cages).
  13. LetItRoll

LetItRoll ForwardAholic

Oddometer:
    That looks good too, I need to make a plan to check all that area out well over the next couple of years, I know most of the rocks in the road by name in S.E oregon and Northern Nevada, always trucked the bikes halfway down and missed the rest of eastern oregon. Doesnt look like it would be any problem finding good places to camp all over out there, lots of govt. land?
  14. tacosupreme

tacosupreme Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's always the OBDR too, and most of the snow is gone even up high, just a few patches left as of last weekend.
    [​IMG]
  15. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:

Might I add: Narrow with poor lines of sight around the corners due to trees/brush. Be careful! :eek1
  16. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    I'll never forget catching the glimpse of the rock slide... hearing the first small stones hitting the spokes of my rear wheel and the feel of the large rock just rubbing my rear tire as I throttled out of the wet corner in the rain... that was exciting.

So, watch for rock slides, especially in the rain... and watch for critters. I have seen plenty of deer and gotten closer to a few turkeys than I wanted to... feathered and non feathered.

Have fun... I love 39.
  17. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
    Hey, I said it was fun. :d
  18. LetItRoll

LetItRoll ForwardAholic

Oddometer:
    That is all good info, never know if your safe or not, but at least I will be comfortable since that is exactly like the road I live on, steep, narrow, blind corners, lots of trees, animals, rocks, etc. The saving grace hopefully will be that I don't usually end up riding in the rain on any of my trips. Probably looking at mid/end June and I pick dates based on good extended weather forecast, if it changes as it gets closer, I push the dates back and reschedule until it is good (can't stand loading/unloading wet gear on the bike). What is the approx. mileage of the 39 paved section?
  19. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
  20. LetItRoll

LetItRoll ForwardAholic

Oddometer: