Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #436
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
It's interesting seeing Llewelyn's opinion of the 450CCM now that he has ridden it. I ride with him occasionally and I know how hard he can push an Enduro bike. If he says it is good, it is. :)
Old 08-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #437
Sp4rks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243

Not exactly adventure bikes, but close. Factory supported only most of them, I vote we steal them from the next Paris Dakar "Gone in 60 Seconds" style. I call dibs on the KTM.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:49 AM   #438
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
I'll take the Honda!

(I've just ordered about a $1000 worth of stuff to convert an '03 DRZ 400 E to ADV. I'll post a pic soon's all the stuff arrrives and gets installed. (Doesn't include the 7.5 gal Safari tank. Yet.)

(This is a replacement for the DRZ-S stolen last year. :()
Old 08-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #439
sunnybandit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
sunnybandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #440
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,294
Lights and signals - an ADV bike needs to be street-legal, eh?
Old 08-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #441
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Lights and signals - an ADV bike needs to be street-legal, eh?
And able to carry stuff for camping, maintenance and such. And being able to picked up, not once or twice but as much as required.

Unless ADV in this case stands for trailer and support vehicles.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #442
donny662
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Oh I think the KTM 500 is the best step yet, along with the Husaberg 570 towards the answer.. they just need more oil capacity to really get the job done.. here is a link to a Husaber 570 on a real adventure ride..http://www.facebook.com/#!/HusabergAdventureTeam

.. I have no doubt the 500 could be used the same way. However, both require compromises that could be addressed by the manufacturers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
Eurotrash Dood here.

Read the thread from front to back. Alot of very interesting points.

First...Why would you consider a Euro 450 when the KTM 530 and Husaberg 570 are essentially the same weight as the 450s with more power? Less strain on a motor equals longer life, right?

Second...Can't believe the Bergs haven't been talked about more during this thread. I switched from orange eurotrash to blue eurotrash 3 years ago and will only now consider going back to KTM. The reasons for the switch to blue were simple...the 70 degree motor and EFI on the Berg makes for an amazingly fun and hassle free experience. Maintenance is a breeze on both the KTM and the Berg. Glad to see KTM has finally come around and decided to install the Berg EFI on their new XC-W and EXC lines for good reason this year.

You can pick up a fully street legal FE570 for @ $7400 or a 500 EXC for @9500. I'll take the lower price of the Berg, the extra cc's, and spend the extra scratch on oil cooler, tanks and a few other things to make it the ultimate lightweight Adventure bike.

Here's some proof that the Euro bikes are world travelers...Enjoy the read. http://www.expeditionportal.com/vehi...avel-bike.html
You guys mentioned the Husaberg, and I would not have considered it before reading Walter Colebatch's opinion on the bike (he was part of the team that broke the motorcycling altitude record with the Husaberg, and he has some epic ride reports on this site going through Kazakstan, Mongolia, Siberia, etc. on his G650XChallenge based adventure bike). I, too, thought that a real enduro (the modern, race oriented definition of enduro) motor would not have the longevity desired in an "adventure" bike. But, after his teammate rode a Husaberg back to the US from the Andes, he thought that the FE570 would make a good starting point for his next bike: link, link.

I do like the look of the CCM, as well.

Hobbes: Like that book report you're supposed to be writing now on the book you haven't read?

Calvin: Exactly. Case in point.
donny662 is offline   Reply With Quote