NEED HELP, MICRO THUMPER problem

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GuinnesS, Feb 11, 2007.

1. GuinnesS

GuinnesS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for looking, I am trying to sell my son's Honda CRF 50. It has been sitting a while (about a year) and I wanted to clean her up for the prospective buyers.
    I dumped out the fuel tank and emptied the carb bowl. I then cleaned out all the jets and needle, washed out and re-oiled the air filter and inspected the plug.
    However a problem remains; the idle seems to surge all on its own and adjusting the mixture screw only influences idle speed, AS I turn the screw but returns to previous idle speed once I stop turning.:huh
    Removing the mixture screw altogether makes no difference. Only when the screw is fully seated does the idle speed rise. again:huh
    The bike has been ridden perhaps 10 hours since new, I am guessing valves are still where they should be, I need to get some of those 45 deg feelers if I have to check em.
    So I need to get this thing to tick right before I can start showing it. Any ideas on next step to take to cure this minithumper.
    Cheers
  2. wickedsprint

wickedsprint Banned

Oddometer:
    Mine would not idle until it was absolutey warmed up, like after being ridden for a mile, otherwise the idle was hit or miss (pun?).
  3. GuinnesS

Oddometer:
    Hey Wicked, on a side note, what D/S kit did put on your BRP and how do you like it? I have my 07 coming on the banana boat, should get here in a couple of more weeks. I am shopping all the farkles right now. Can't seem to make up my mind on which d/s kit to get.
    Shit!, did I just highjack my own thread:doh
    Cheers
  4. ekaphoto

ekaphoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you didn't pull the carb off and soak it in carb cleaner you may still have some varnish from the old gas left. Try that.
  5. wickedsprint

wickedsprint Banned

Oddometer:
    I simply wired in a brake circuit into the tailight lense and called it a day. Wyoming is pretty simple.
  6. GuinnesS

Oddometer:
    Bump
  7. Dualsport

Dualsport Maker of Sweet Cheek

Oddometer:
    Cincinnati the best riding in the area, aint here
    Your idle circuit is plugged. Take the carb to a shop that has an Ultrasonic cleaning tank. Do not settle for a solvent dip.

It might cost you $20 to have the carb cleaned right, but it will be fixed.
  8. jbrownmxr

jbrownmxr Gas Passer

Oddometer:
    Another thought is you have a leak on the intake side. Culprits:

1. Intake boot. Take off, and reattach the carb paying close attention to the seal.

2. You have a leak in the carb. O rings bad or improperly installed. Check all of these carefully. While you do this check your pilot circuit again. Although a plugged pilot usually results in a bike that won't idle unless your choke is on.
  9. GuinnesS

Oddometer:

Sounds like you're on the right track, I had thought the little manifold might not be seating correctly but its good and tight. I did notice however that there is no 'O'ring on the mixture screw and it does thread in fairly loosely, though I am not certain it needs one, I'll check w/ my dealer.
    Many thanks
  10. GuinnesS

Oddometer:
    Will definately proceed as suggested if all else fails.
    Again, many thanks