Experience with "Booster Plug"?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by crazyhawk99, Dec 16, 2009.

1. crazyhawk99

crazyhawk99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any experience with a product called "Booster Plug"?

If so, any feedback on how it compares to other similar products would be great.

The Booster Plug claims to soften/smooth the on/off throttle transition among other improvements.
  2. blackSP

blackSP 51.38986335329787, 4.399599889888853

Oddometer:
    Putte, Netherlands southern border to Belgium
    Never heard of it.
    I use something different: Stork oil.
    This is a special oil extracted from storks. You need about 100 storks to get 100cc of oil but it's a great product.

I use it to oil my complete rig. Seat, shocks, spark plug caps (to keep the moisture out), wheel bearings, the lot.

Don't use it as engine oil though as it has quite a low boiling point.
  3. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some think they're the best thing since sliced bread. Some think they're nothing more than snake oil

Me? I'd rather enjoy what I've got and waste the money on not so frivilous things like beer.
    thechief86 likes this.
  4. crazyhawk99

Oddometer:
    I do like a good beer.

Thanks for your input.
  5. crazyhawk99

Oddometer:
    Seat oil.... hmmm... I imagine it speeds up getting on and off the bike, particularly off.
  6. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. tmgs

tmgs ...Trailers are for Boats

Oddometer:
    N. E. Georgia, Space Coast FL.(sometimes)
    the product makes sense, the increase in mileage does except the fact that in one post they say the resistor wire only works for initial acceleration not cruise speed,

although if your opening the throttle that much more it may save mpg if it is actually providing more fuel in that range,. but 5mpg? I guess if they have a lot of starts and stops?

I'd like to see it it myslef on a dyno with gas analyzer to be sure there would be no damage fromrunning to rich or lean
  8. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am really interested in the product and have read the thread at the UK GS forum. Lots of guys claim this type of product really helps the low end fueling.

Surely somebody on this forum has tried one or something similar.
  9. SOMNuts

SOMNuts Put some hot sauce on it!

Oddometer:
    I've got the Power FRK and the cam sprockets (Lennie's Sprockets) on my 07 1200GSA and it kicks ass! It does what it says it does. I have not put the bike on a dyno and I'm not going to. I don't know if it increases HP and don't really care. I do know it has changed the bike and that it performs a whole lot better than it did OEM. The flat spot is totally gone and the engine is livelier about a 1K RPM sooner than OEM. It makes the bike more fun to ride and the power band is now in the perfect spot for the type of riding that I do (City commuting and open highway touring).

I am completely satisfied with the product, I'm glad this was available for my bike, and I won't be taking it off.
  10. crazyhawk99

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I actually stumbled accross this thread a few days ago. Was my first time on the UKGS forum. Seems like some decent info, as here, with a milder "attitude". Both good sources of info.

I have email Jens (manufacturer of the Booster Plug) and placed myself on the waiting list.

After I get it, I will post my feedback on Advrider, but likely won't be until March, as winter has set in hard in my part of Germany.
  11. signit98

signit98 Nutcase... really!

Oddometer:
    I have had Lennie's sprockets in 3 bikes (11S, 12GS) now and can only attest to their usefulness... just installed a set on my friends bike yesterday... he was blown away.

As for the FRK... I believe in tune-ability and as such, the Techlusion/Dobeck/Wunderlich FI tool is what I deem best and have always used in conjunction with the sprockets... open your pipe a tad and add a free flowing air filter and voila!

If you want smooth and responsive... THAT is the way to go... you increase torque and bring it about 1000 RPM lower across the whole band.

Both the Booster plug and the FRK seem to fall into the category of "Resistance Tuning"... they cheat the engine into thinking that it is colder than it actually is and as such, force it to run richer... it works, but it's a "blanket statement" approach...
  12. tmgs

Oddometer:
    Having a background in performance/driveability, working with Dyno's, Gas analyzers ect ect,
    If it were me, I'd go with the booster plug over the others simple wire resistor no question. yea it ls more, but I think it will work far better overall.
    That or go to a PC or similar and have a pro set it up for the driving you will be doing (keep in mind though, many tuners only setup for the absolute most HP you can get, and won't take the time required for anything else)

take a look over his site, he really does a good job of explaining it for the novice. It will only take a small amount if time to read all his pages on it

http://www.boosterplug.com/ECU-Basics.html

If I could, I'd buy it just yo see how well it really works, but I would want to have access to a gas analyzer at the least, I wondered if a 6% increase is a tad too much for just good driveability and MPG, but it looks like he has done his homework and may have found a good compromise.
  13. Andrzej

Andrzej Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Possible group buy ???:evil
  14. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I received an email from Jen (the booster plug guy) and he does do group buys. I will email him back to see what his prices are and will post.
  15. Sergiok

Sergiok Underwater Basketweaver

Oddometer:
    How's that joke go...

Q: What's the cheapest thing on a BMW?
    A: The rider.

If you want crisp and instantaneous throttle response with more torque down low, you can't beat Lennie's Sprockets along with a Techlusion or Wunderlich controller. YMMV
  16. eng943

eng943 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What do the sprockets do..advance cam timing?
  17. Sergiok

Oddometer:
    Correct. They basically shift the powerband lower in the RPM range.
  18. tmgs

Oddometer:
    I looked at that briefly, 9 degrees seemed like a lot to me
  19. Sergiok

Oddometer:
    It's too much... too much fun with the sprockets in I tell ya! Makes ya want to twist the fun stick and go go go!
  20. nevermind

nevermind know when to fold 'em, know when to run

Oddometer:

Did you put 'em in your GS or HP2?