KLR spark plug change fail.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Mikef5000, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    2009 KLR650 - 13k miles

Alright, so all my spark plug sockets are too fat to fit in the recess in the head. I get online and google search to find that there is a spark plug tool in the tool kit. I get out the tool, and it's too long to fit! It hits the frame above the spark plug. It seems a good 2 inches longer than it needs to be. I could probably hammer it in there, but there's no way I'd be able to unthread it with the tool being pressed in beneath the frame to begin with.

I already have the gas tank and side panels off and out of the way (for other projects).

Has anyone else experienced this? What am I missing? I'm thinking of cutting an inch or so off the end of the tool.

I took pictures but can't upload them at the moment.

Thanks!
  2. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Tool is pressed into the frame at the top, yet still at to much of an angle to seat over the plug.
  3. beeper

beeper Badger tickler

Oddometer:
    I'd trim the tool. :deal
  4. Velour Fog

Velour Fog Pants optional

Oddometer:
    G'Day,
    I bought a tube/long socket and then ground it down till it was thin enough to be able to fit in there..
  5. Gray_Rider

Gray_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It doesn't look like the spark plug spanner I got with my early model. Mine is much shorter .

Any other KLR riders comment?

Either way before you pull the plug, blow out all the sand and dust around it, otherwise it all goes in the cylinder!
  6. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    the one that came with my 05 works fine.... no real dif in the bikes, so?????
  7. Gray_Rider

Gray_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Accordind to the part fiche, there should be 2 tube spanners - #92110A and #92110B.

There all the same for every year model.

Is there another tube spanner in your kit?

P.S. I wouldn't cut it, the other end will fit some other part of your bike.
  8. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like the spark plug tool that with the kit in my KLX300. :dunno
  9. crypto666

crypto666 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could notch the frame, but I would probably trim the tool. They are a dime a dozen, I have several of those that came with various bikes/atvs and have yet to find them useful.
  10. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was going to say, that is what i need for a KLX650, a very deep well and no back bone to get in the way.
  11. oneblackdog

oneblackdog slowest of the slow

Oddometer:
    :baldy:eek2

That's not the s/plug socket.

The plug socket has a closed top which takes the 17mm spanner, is much thicker (what you have is the probably the 12mm socket, while the plug is approx 18mm), and has a rubber insert to catch the plug top.

Have another look in the kit, as you need that one, as bought sockets are usually to thick to fit in the small whole surrounding the plug.

Good luck.

OBD
  12. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alright, so this bike came with two tool kits. A small one that fits in the luggage rack, as well as a slightly larger one that is separate from the bike. It appears to me that he (owner of the bike) wasn't even supposed to get this separate larger tool kit. It has several tools that do not fit his bike; this spark plug 'socket', some axle wrenches, and even a couple spanner wrenches.

Going back through the small tool kit in the luggage rack I found the second spark plug socket that got the job done.

All good now. Back together with a new (and gapped) iridium plug, plus the subframe bolt upgrade, new fog-lights, a couple relays to control the heated grips and lights, and new brake pads.

Thanks!
  13. vanaman

vanaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hi mike
  14. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hello Steve.