Anakee III's Discontinued? What?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by jwawhite, May 6, 2015.

1. jwawhite

jwawhite Yeah, it's a Selfie

Oddometer:
    What gives? Have I missed a previous Post about this? Called Rev Zilla today LM about a new front tire, 120/70-R19. They are out of stock and don't foresee anymore coming in. "they had problems with those". Huh? I just bought, not too long ago a new rear, no issues. The extinct? Front costs $$148.95. I called my local BMW Dealer, none in stock but can get one, in a day, for $242.90.

Question, I did hear about a possible upgrade some time ago, is this what is happening?

If I can't get a new front, any suggestions for a replacement, other than chucking the new rear for a complete different set?
  2. asnowmobiler

asnowmobiler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I noticed some strange wear on my front A3 when I was washing my bike, it looked like the tread was pealing away, instead of wearing away smoothly
    It was easy to see when the tire was wet,not so much when dry.
  3. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are one or two threads here on the Continental TKC70,favorable reviews so far,if you are looking for replacements.

JR356
  4. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle Superstore and Chaparral Motorsports have the A3's in stock.

I would be very surprised if Michelin discontinued this tire without a replacement upgrade in the immediate works, more then likely some erroneous information was, Michelin is famous for running out of stock at time during the year as production runs on tires can be many months apart.
  5. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    They never run out of Bridgestone BW 501-502s.
  6. kevlar930

kevlar930 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not shocked. The A3s are one of the worse tires I have ever ridden.
  7. steelerider

steelerider Southafricanamerican

Oddometer:
    True. They are shit. Worst tires ever.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I expect the Anakee IV to have a more aggressive tread.
    Michelin effectively made the 3 a street tire when the 2 was an ADV tire.
  9. Tuff Tunica

Tuff Tunica Moto-Skiveez creator

Oddometer:
    I whole heatedly agree. I think the A2 was the best all around dual sport tire I ever rode. I'm riding mostly big dual sports. Have been on GS's from the 99' 1100 to current 1200 Adv. Over all the years and all the different tire brands, makes, models I have ridden, I found the A2 to be the best all around for me. When the A3 came out I was thrilled to have a "new improved" version. OMG was I disappointed. I hope the A3 is discontinued and is never resurrected. That tire SUX!!

Bring back the A2 please!!!!
  10. sagedrifter

sagedrifter Southern Explorer

Oddometer:
    I bet the "3" really helped sale Tourances. I didn't even try the latest Anakee, it was obviously not DS enough for my dirt driveway. The Anakee 2 was already really mild, but I liked them for beast touring duty.
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Plus it gave space for the Shinko 705 to expand market share and allowed others to come in with new 20/80 tires. Most looked at the A3 design and said WTF that is not an ADV tire. I'd say the K60, E07 & TKC70 also squeezed the market as those tires also perform well on pavement too.

To me this shows how even the all mighty Michelin can make mistakes. They miss-read the market and assumed most ADV bike owners did not really ride in the dirt, but they ones buying Anakees low and behold actually did.
  12. guyfawkes

guyfawkes Move along, nothing to see here

Oddometer:
    this
  13. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A3s are still displayed on the Michelin website...

NFE
  14. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the A3's as a street tire on my GS. Enough that I'm on my second rear and just ordered a new front. If I was going to take the GS off road I'd pick a different tire. As a primarily road tire though, they work as good or better than anything I've had on the BMW. There is not a large selection of road oriented tires in the proper size for this bike.
  15. a41capt

a41capt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I too am on my second set of A3s with almost 14,000 miles on the first set and the second looking like it will go just as far. In mud, even LIGHT mud they suck! Likewise sand and deep gravel/AB, but they stick like glue on the pavement, and since I do about 500 miles a week in my commute, I'm happy with their performance.

That being said, I am going out to look and see if they're coming apart as described earlier, and I'll be looking for options in another 6,000 to 7,000 miles!
  16. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    I like them for street use, too. The back A3's last and last and last....I think this is the first tire I have ever had where the rear and the front will wear out together. I would go through two A2 rears for every front.

The fronts - well, mine has some weird cupping that I can see but it doesn't seem to impact the handling at all.

As a street tire, my only complaint is the noise. They sure sing.

I suspect that there is an A4 about to hit the streets. A2 tread with A3 treadlife would be perfect!
  17. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I moved to the Shinko 705 after the anakee 2's went away. Never looked back.
  18. a41capt

a41capt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since I bought my own mounting/balancing equipment I've considered the Shinko because they wear out so fast and paying somebody to mount 'em was more expensive than buying 'em.

What kinda mileage you getting out of the 705s?
  19. der_saeufer

der_saeufer Пу́тін хуйло́

Oddometer:
    On my DL650, the A3 front cupped like most tires do and wore out faster than the front! Definitely the only time that's happened. Got 13k from the front; the rear still has some left with 17k :eek1. When I ran Shinko 705s I got 15k from a front and 7500 from a rear.

They suck hardcore on the loose stuff, though, so I went back to a 705 on the front. Not sure what I'll throw on the rear when the A3 wears out. I'm torn between doing another A3, going back to a 705 or switching to something like a K60. I don't particularly care for the 705's handling on the road, but I got used to it eventually.
  20. kevlar930

kevlar930 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How are you guys getting such high milage out of the A3s? I shredded mine in less than 5k and probably should have replaced them at around 4k. Both front and rear. Granted, I am riding a KTM 1190...