Vetter streamliner body kit

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by sendler, Dec 1, 2012.

1. sendler

sendler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Craig Vetter is calling for a show of hands of interest for his streamlined motorcycle body work kit which is now in the final stages of pre production.
    http://craigvetter.com/pages/2012-Streamliner/2012-vetter-streamliner-p61-kit.html
    Several years of real world testing have proven 100 mpgUS at 70 mph on a first gen Ninja250 which can be purchased used for $1000. Better cams for the Ninja or a more efficient bike like a CBR250R or 125R could do considerably better on fuel. Streamlining will make an electric bike go much farther also.
    Warm, dry, steady and quiet in buffeting winds. And locking storage for 100+ liters of gear or groceries. Use the full tail for the best aerodynamics or truncate the shape behind the rear wheel for easier parking in the garage.
    Every commuter or world traveler that is fit enough to ride needs one of these to help save our remaining resources.
    Build a Vetter streamliner and help spread the word.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    Building something along those lines has always been a back-of-the-mind project for me. Looks kinda goofy but it would be the ultimate commuter bike. I would be interested but unfortunately I wouldn't be in a position to purchase one for at least a couple of years. Still, I really like the idea and I've always been a fan of Vetter's work to improve the aerodynamic efficiency of motorcycles. In about 2-3 years once I am finally done with my education and have (hopefully) a solid job, I'd be all over that kit for a CBR250.
  3. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I had been thinking of the design for making a more efficient Honda Helix. When I started digging into hypermiling motorcycles, no surprise--there was Craig Vetter with that design on a Helix. :lol3

I'm probably out since my riding isn't suited to the benefits of that fairing. My commute is 10 miles with 55 MPH speeds between stop lights. If I did commute by motorcycle, all the benefits of the streamlining are lost by repeatedly accelerating the extra mass from each stop.

I have to question how many he can sell if it's a generic body kit without model-specific mounts or wheel cutouts. I could adapt or fabricate just about anything but, not everybody has that ability. Installing a Windjammer (with the kit) was sometimes beyond the skills of the average owner.

The Windjammer went somewhere because a bazillion people had the CB750 and he made a mount for it. That made the Z1, Gold Wing, BMW and Guzzi mounts possible. At VERY least, he would need a kit to fit all the Helix scooters out there...or one (or more) of the other mondo-scooters. There HAS to be a specific model for this kit or it just won't fly.
  4. bandito2

bandito2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, it has also been applied to a 250 Ninja. So it doesn't HAVE to be model or make specific. That was the point in making it adaptable
    to other bikes. I intend to get a kit (or 2) for one (or 2) of my Honda Reflex scooters. And you are right to a certain degree that it will take
    more than just "bolt on" skills to mount it. But I think the thing that may stifle sales is the initial price he has tentatively proposed. In a
    letter to him (not yet sent because I'm still working on it) I point this out. And the fact that the "kit" will cost as much or more than what
    I already paid for some of my scooters. (granted, I got them off of ebay, but still, several $$$ for sure) Recouping that cost on fuel savings
    would take a VERY long time. (if ever) But it would represent ownership in a piece of motorcycling history and may prove (in time) of value
    to some collectors. (maybe) That could be if it turns out to be somewhat of a limited production run. (likely IMO) Large scale production
    runs with simpler "bolt on" ability to several kinds of bikes would probably have wider appeal, much like the Windjammer. but I don't think
    that is what he has in mind. He has stated on the website that he has taken the design as far as he is going to. Still, it is so different than
    anything else out there, a real head turner. I'm in.
  5. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    The issue surrounds the height of the front end. If it was fitted to a Ninja 250 or any other traditional motorcycle frame, something HAD to be modified in the nose of the bodywork. I don't think normal size motorcycle wheels and forks will fit under that nose (as it's shown). The profile seems too sloped and the larger the wheel diameter, the more material has to be cut away to allow the wheel to swing in there. That's what leads me to believe fitting it to a regular motorcycle will be harder than a scooter.

I'm with you on all points: initial cost, future collectibility, exclusivity, etc. I'm a big fan of Craig Vetter and all that he's done in motorcycling over the years. It would be cool. I have to admit that this very streamliner had me fantasizing about a similar build just a few short months ago. It just doesn't fit my current riding lifestyle and would take up too much room in my dwindling storage space.
  6. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    Kinda' reminds me of the Jacwal Superwedge:
    http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2008/12/08/vintage-jacwal-superwedge-fairing/

[​IMG]

Bates also had competition for the ubiquitous Windjammer.

Craig Vetter has had some winners over the years...and some not quite so much. I wish I could find a picture of the fugly thing he came up with for Harleys. It was a gold-painted, giant fiberglass fairing for the dressers that was done up as eagle feathers. It had a motorized windscreen and deflectors built into it. If I found one, I'd buy it just because I think I'd have the only one still in existence. :lol3
  7. sendler

sendler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All of the current design work was done on a Ninja250 because used bikes are so plentiful and cheap. Only afterwards did Vetter fit these final parts onto his scooter. Read all about at the link. He has basically written a book, documenting the entire process at craigvetter.com.
    [​IMG]
  8. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember seeing the Superwedge and hearing people run it down as ugly. But , I thought , It's not there for pretty , it's there to help part the air and looks to do a good job of that.

And I remember reading what Craig said of the feathered fairing with the movable sections.
    "I just wanted to build a fairing that flared." I took it to be his jab at the mouth breathers through the years that called fairings -flarings.
    Good luck finding one, it's doubtful many were sold.
    "
  9. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    The FLAIRING! That's it! :rofl

Can't find a damn thing on the entire internet. He registered the trademark but, nothing else out there. As you wrote: must not have sold many. :lol3
  10. dolomoto

dolomoto Destroyer of Motorcycles Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is this it?

[​IMG]

I remember it 'cause he remarked that he was inspired by the "wings" worn by aircrew.
  11. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is not about gas mileage or return on investment.

It's a Motorcycle
    Love them or leave them !!!!!!!!!!

Don
  12. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    He's creative. Twist 'n go Sportster scooter.
    [​IMG]
  13. tntmo

tntmo Oops, I did it again.

Oddometer:
  14. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
  15. Squanto!

Squanto! Master of Silent Death Supporter

Oddometer:
    Certainly and interesting craft but I wonder what heavy side winds or the draft from a big semi would do to it. Great High School Science project but not sure if Id use a small diesel engine or go electric.
  16. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    When does the build start? You have posted in the build area and I demand progress and pictures!!

:freaky
  17. bandito2

Oddometer:
    I just got a response today from an email I sent to Craig Vetter about the "Last Vetter Fairing"

Well, he hasn't made the full mold for the front nose yet, but still could do the front part of it (the white part on front) if he
    decides to not do the full mold. Then I would have to fab from that to the handle bars. Pretty much like the rear part needs
    to be done which is basically flat wrap aluminum supported by bulkheads. Pretty simple in theory but we'll see how it goes
    in practice. Around Christmas time Craig will let me know what he is going to do and then I'll be able to form a plan of action.

If he decides on doing the full mold, then I'll have to wait until he gets done making it over the winter and then more waiting
    while the fairing gets laid up in fiberglass. When that time gets nearer, I'll remove the plastic from the 2007 Reflex and start
    moving some parts that sit on the outside part of the frame and remove some protruding tabs and such to help make it
    narrower. There are also some other things that will need to get done in preparation, but again I am going to wait until I know
    that the fairing parts will be forthcoming before I commit to taking things apart on the scooter.

Of course there will be photos and updates once the process begins. (we'll just have to be patient):lurk
  18. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

I was mostly needling sendler since he started a build thread in the build forum I figured he'd be building one. :wink:
  19. bandito2

Oddometer:
    Just so we'll have the proper chronology on the "Last Vetter Fairing" , start reading about it here:
    http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/470MPG/Last Vetter Fairing.html

Actually, of the 61 chapters so far, (as of December 1, 2012) Alan Smith (owner of the Ninja) wasn't even mentioned until
    chapter 39. And at that time he was using a Honda CRF230. The Ninja project, designated as "Streamlining a Ninja" which
    is the application of "Kit #1" doesn't begin until chapter 44. So the bulk of the design work was done first around the Honda
    Helix then was later applied to the Ninja, not the other way around. And for the last few chapters, the "design" work was
    being done on both the Helix and the Ninja concurrently.

Just curious, but does anybody else have it seriously mind to do this to their bike? (scooter or motorcycle)
    Myself, I can't wait.
  20. sendler

sendler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going all out streamlined but keeping the super sport, lay on a tank bag, head forward position on the CBR250R. I bought a new bicycle for an electric hub motor conversion though. I will be going feet forward on that one.:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]