Yooperbikemike's 2013 MotoGP Thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by yooperbikemike, Nov 11, 2012.

1. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    I gotcha. I believe there is still quite a bit of negotiating going on behind the scenes with all parties, including Ezpeleta.

It is in his best interest to find spots for Crutchlow, Bradl, and even Hayden.

Everyone that thinks Nicky should just give up and go to WSBK only needs to look at the number of views and replies on the WSBK Moscow thread vs. the Moto GP Laguna thread in this very forum to see why he would/should be reluctant to do that.
  2. HoneyBunz

HoneyBunz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has any rider ever signed a contract and not announced the deal immediately?
    What reasons could one have to keep it on the down low?
  3. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    I would prefer to see Nicky stay in MotoGP. But he'd probably be a big boost to WSBK if he wen't there. As far as US fans anyway.
  4. Kropotkin

Kropotkin Big Girl's Blouse Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happens all the time. Signing the rider is step one, then all of the sponsors on both sides of the deal have to be straightened out, and once that's agreed, the announcement can be made. If a big sponsor of the team the rider is leaving has a massive PR event scheduled for the day after the contracts are signed, they don't want all the talk to be of how the rider who has shown up to promote them is about to go elsewhere.
  5. Jurassic

Jurassic Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a very good point.
  6. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or not. :lol3

A related aside: It seems to be assumed that Bradl's recent turn of speed is due to him needing to perform in order to keep his job. But doesn't it also coincide with his switching to Brembo brakes? :dunno
  7. Jurassic

Jurassic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also a very good point. :D
  8. Closed Casket

Closed Casket Jaded and Faded

Oddometer:
    I make a comfortable salary, thanks, enough to pay the bills and that's it, nothing extra, nothing in savings, 401K is sparse, kids about to enter college and I hope they'll get good scholarships.

I seriously doubt Cal wants to circle around with the CRTs until he is done - not an honorable way to end your career - as I said, racers race to WIN, not just for the paycheck. And Duc had plenty of chances to fix things while the GOAT was racing for them - and coudn't. What makes anyone think they can now or in the next 1-2 years?

But enough speculation, I haven't seen Cal speak out on what he thinks of all this? Guess we'll have to wait until Indy to find out.
  9. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:

From the posts in this thread it would seem no one thinks that.
  10. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:

I think they are actually getting WORSE!!!!
  11. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    I am with Harvey on this one..the smart rider knows the career does not last long.....and the more money you have, the longer it will last. Happens all the time is most of the major sports...players go to teams for the big paycheck, not necessarily for the chance to win the Cup(hockey) or the Superbowl or World Series.

ie: Nicky too stayed on the turnip truck so long since it was a good paycheck, good linked sponsor deals, and not like there were any other options( in GP) anyway.
  12. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
  13. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could be the brakes. Although I'd like to take credit for coining a new term to describe riders who suddenly get faster at contract time: xausing. Suggested usage: "Bradl appears to be xausing his way to the front."
  14. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take Dovi as an example...I think he knows he is not a no1 factory rider...He get an offer that will set him up for life,and the bike must come right sooner or later...what would you do?
  15. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll Supporter

Oddometer:
    OTOH, I seem to remember reading that there was a different use for the term, and it was not a positive statement.

"Our rider just xaused the bike" (wadded it up into a pile of trash) :lol3
  16. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  17. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure who is judge and jury up in this bitch but I'd like file a motion to get the term "turnip truck" banned from further commentary. :deal
  18. ErikY.

ErikY. Here, Now.

Oddometer:
    How about "TT"?
    :lol3

Might be confusing...
  19. kyns

kyns Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe Cal believes he has the skills to tame the TT. Maybe he should only make a one year deal with Duc, then after taking the title next year on it, he could suck VW dry for a new contract.:D
    He does have an agressive style, maybe he could ride it.
  20. jktpa

jktpa X-Troller

Oddometer:
    is Crap Wagon okay?