Romania, Slovenia (Bled), Croatia (Rab/Velebit), N Italy (Dolomites)

Discussion in 'Europe' started by ChrisUK, Jun 13, 2008.

1. ChrisUK

ChrisUK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi there
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    I have the following timeline this summer:<o:p></o:p>
    10 to 20 July: Solo-touring <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>Romania</st1:place></st1:country-region> on DRZ400, trying to stay on dirt roads as much as possible<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    20 to 26 July: competing in the www.enduromania.net meet at Brebu Nou<o:p></o:p>
    29 July to 5 August: Camping with wife and son at <st1:place><st1:placeType>Lake</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName>Bled</st1:placeName></st1:place> in <st1:country-region><st1:place>Slovenia</st1:place></st1:country-region>, but have DRZ and also a Triumph road bike available to escape domestic bliss for a day or a few hours.:D <o:p></o:p>
    5 to 12 August: Camping on <st1:place><st1:placeName>Rab</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Island</st1:placeType></st1:place> in <st1:country-region><st1:place>Croatia</st1:place></st1:country-region> with wife and son, but I definitely will escape on the DRZ to the Velebit mountains for a day or 2.<o:p></o:p>
    15 to 24 August: Solo. Riding DRZ on dirt (if legal) in <st1:place>North Italy</st1:place> (not sure where yet, but the Dolomites are favourite) or on the Triumph on the road.<o:p></o:p>
    Does anyone want to meet for a coffee or beer? Or ride together for a day or 2? <o:p></o:p>
    I have a few ideas of where to go in <st1:country-region><st1:place>Romania</st1:place></st1:country-region> ( http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/europe/off-road-maps-routes-gps-35235 ), but haven’t thought too much about <st1:country-region><st1:place>Slovenia</st1:place></st1:country-region> or the Dolomites. I don’t have a problem with looking at a guide book or a map and finding the least straight lines and heading there, but if there are any must-see/must-do roads or sights, maybe you can give me a heads-up.<o:p></o:p>
    All the Best,<o:p></o:p>
    Maybe see you on the road or in the bar.<o:p></o:p>
    Chris from <st1:country-region><st1:place>England</st1:place></st1:country-region><o:p></o:p>
  2. IrwinF

IrwinF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dear biker,
    when U r around Croatia send an e-mail or an SMS so maybe we can meet and go around Velebit.
    irwin777@gmail or cell phone: 00385917894185.

I own Yamaha XT 660 R :freaky
  3. HUMO

HUMO HUtility MOtorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Hi Chris,
    i live in Belluno, at the base of the Dolomites. When you'll be here call 00393925768sevenzeroseven.

If you need a place where to place a tent there is a large space in the garden. :freaky
  4. ChrisUK

ChrisUK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Humo and IrwinF
    Many thanks for your replies. I'll drop you an email/SMS closer to the time I'm in Italy and Croatia. Hopefully we can ride a little together, or chat over a beer.
    All the best
    Chris
  5. achile

achile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hello!
    if you come to brasov, romania, please contact me!
    Free accomodation for you and your bike and lots of beer. It would be my pleasure:D:freaky
  6. riderbob

riderbob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Expect half of England on your doorstep. Planning holidays now! :evil :thumb :1drink :D

7. ChrisUK

ChrisUK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Achile
    Many thanks for your message. It would definitely be good to share a few beers. My cell number is plus44 781294one8sixseven. I should be arriving in western Romania on about 10July, will unload the bike and start to head east. Brasov is definitely on my route (not that I have a route at the moment...). I need to be back in Brebu Nou on 20 July, so maybe I'll be in Brasov approx 15/16July. Will send you an SMS when I have a better idea of my plans, if you tell me your number.

All the best,
    Chris

8. ekkemu

ekkemu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just remembered about your post and thought that I should give you my 2 cents about Romania riding.

I have just came back from a 3-day trip, most of it was on-road, but the off-road part was fabulous. I had to tell you to not miss it.

Ok, so this road is the 67C National Road (DN 67C) and it is called Transalpina. It starts from Sebes , Alba County and goes to Novaci, Gorj county (or vice-versa, of course). The first part, from Sebes going up the Sebes river valley you will have pavement for 40, 50 kms maybe and then you will go off pavement. That valley is one of the most beatiful ones in our country, it has 3 lakes on it and incredible scenery. If you keep going up, you will reach Obarsia Lotrului where there is a big crossroad (right you go to Petrosani and left you go to Lake Vidra and Brezoi). You will have to go straigh (actually right for about 500m then left again). That will be offroad only, and it is really offroad in some sections. You will finally reach Ranca and then Novaci (this is where Transalpina ends). In Novaci you can turn left and go to Polovragi, visit the Monastery there and then go to Horezu. Horezu pottery is one of the most famouse and appreciated pottery in Romania (and I think also international). From Horezu you will be on pavement and you can go to Ramnicu Valcea and then Curtea de Arges. From Curtea de Arges, left on Transfagarasan (this is a paved road, but it is extremly beatiful and it is open only a couple of months a year). ... Let me know if you are interested in this part of the route, there are more things to add here :)

Here's a post from a romanian moto forum with the trip from this weekend. Scroll down to the last posts and you will see pictures there. That's what you need! :)

http://www.motociclism.ro/forum/index.php?showtopic=219421&st=120

I am in Cluj Napoca, Cluj county, if you pass around Cluj during a weekend I would like to join you and maybe show you a couple of nice tracks in the Apuseni mountains. But if you pass Cluj during the week, we can have a beer or eat some romanian food at some restaurant.

I can also host you and have room for the bike in my garage if you want to spend the night here.

You can: email me. my email is my_advrider_account@gmail.com
    phone me: 004 0745 one8nine32nine
    yahoo and skype ID online all day long while at work is the same as my advrider ID.

Take care,
    Adrian
  9. ChrisUK

ChrisUK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Adrian
    Many thanks for this route info. It sounds great. If I pass by Cluj Napoca, I'll give you a call.
    All the best,
    Chris
  10. konni

konni n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello Chris!

I also do the enduromania at the same time with my KTM 950 Adv.
    So we can drink a few beers and look pictures from your romania trip the week before :D

greetings from Austria, konni
  11. ChrisUK

ChrisUK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been back home a while. Romanian pics and a video can be seen here:
    http://www.thebrightstuff.com/romania2008overview.htm

Croatia never happened. Far too hot. Also the campsite on Rab island was a complete toilet, so we left again after 2 nights.

Slovenia was great. Sorry no pics.

It rained a lot in the Dolomites and I rode my Triumph road bike, so you wouldn't be interested in the pics anyway.
    cheers
    Chris