Seen a test of the new 990?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by GAMMA, Jan 31, 2006.

1. tommytiger

tommytiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Giancarlo

Giancarlo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They mention that the normal version is lower, 2.5cm, but when I look at the spec sheet of the 950 and the 990 they have the same seat height of 86cm. what gives? I really want to get this bike, but being a "dwarf" at 1.70cm as lower seat height would be VERY welcommed. Is there any other way to lower it just a bit? spring or moving of the front shock up a little?

The test seem to agree that this is a good evolution, not revolution, of the 950 so I think a 990 will be in my garage in about a month that they arrive in Mexico.

Plan to travel to San diego in the summer, so I will keep you US guys updated and maybe, if it's not too many, you can take the first test ride of the 990 before it hits the US showrooms.

How do you use the google translation, sorry for the ignorance, but hey I rahter ask.
  3. tommytiger

tommytiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi!

seat high of the new S is 89,5cm same as 2005

could be too much for you
  4. oldgit

oldgit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Phew! Being a very old person and no longer a 'young pilot' I feel very relieved. Especially as I haven't ever ridden a KTM. I look forward to getting my 990 and dream about it often. I reckon it'll be a bit like my old XR400; snarly with beaucoup d'attitude and nice wide bars to wiggle. As for comfort, I'm a hard-ass. I once rode my 748 from England (not so long ago and I still have it), straight down in a day to Perpignan, then across to Genoa, also in a day and then back thru the Alps to Cherbourg in two days. Cricked neck, swollen wrists(!) and calloused butt. Who needs a soft seat? Grrrrrr.....
  5. Giancarlo

Giancarlo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking of the normal Adventure, the S is too high.
  6. tart

tart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. tart

tart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, could'nt get the right link, just go to the news section and you will see the video link.
  8. Louge

Louge silence of the limbs

Oddometer:
    yellow house 25 miles NW of the white house
    I got to perform a 3point U-turn on my first ride. :shog I came home and adjusted the steering locks more to my liking.

Just don't go wild with em and do a 2MPH highside later :lol3
  9. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    hehe I did the same thing. I was used to my Dakar, and got on this black beast, saw a dam wall that I wanted to play on in the test, did a tight right turn, and nearly fell off when the expected turn radius wasnt there :rofl

Wasnt so funny that I nearly scratched this bike that wasnt mine. It was a huge problem for me till I discovered those little adjusters. Now its similar to Dakars, but an improvement is always welcome!!!

Cool man :freaky
  10. Hibbo

Hibbo n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm new to the forum although I have been following it as a guest for a number of weeks - hi everyone. I'm a Ducati Multistrada owner but will be swapping it in March for the Orange machine.

There is a new review of the 990 Adventure in yesterday's Daily Telegraph (UK national newspaper) if anyone is interested - see link below:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...11.xml&sSheet=/motoring/2006/02/11/ixmot.html

Mike
  11. Compoed

Compoed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is the text from the Telegraph review:
    The KTM Adventure is a true off-road bike - even in the surf, discovers Kevin Ash
    <!--MPU STOPPED BY MEDIA -->There is a dawning realisation among motorcycle buyers that what are traditionally seen as all-rounders aren't quite as all or as rounded as they might be. A typical sports tourer can go far, go fast and go to work, but that leaves one aspect completely uncovered: off-road riding.

It can be done, though. The improbable big-capacity trail bike was invented by BMW in 1980 with the R80G/S boxer twin and, whether by accident or design, the genre - good examples of it, at least - has proved capable of encompassing every one of these disciplines within its envelope.

Recently, film star Ewan McGregor's Long Way Round television series seems to have precipitated a change in attitudes towards these bikes. After he and Charley Boorman took two BMW GS1150s to New York via Europe and Asia, big trail bikes have suddenly become cool, their go-anywhere ruggedness now an acceptable alternative to MotoGP performance.

Some traditions don't change, though. Just as the superbike that is fastest at Donington by a quarter of a second will top the sales charts, so off-road ability matters in the showrooms, despite the tiny percentage of buyers intending to take advantage of it.

The BMW GS series works off-road, as McGregor proved, but faux trail bikes such as the Honda Varadero and Suzuki V-Strom are merely off-road styled and have seen no concomitant sales increase.

KTM, however, is a serious dirt bike factory, only venturing into road bike sales in the past few years. The first Adventure 950, which arrived in 2003 fitted with the Austrian factory's debut twin-cylinder engine, saw its sales lifted by the BMW's success, despite being a direct rival.

For 2006, that has been superseded by the new Adventure 990, with fuel injection in place of carburettors, a capacity increase, chassis revisions, various detail changes and, for the first time on a KTM, ABS brakes. Two versions are available, the stock 990 and the more off-road-biased Adventure S, which features longer travel suspension, a different seat and unique paint. ABS is not an option on this model.

To prove the extent of the bike's abilities, our riding route in Fuerteventura not only took in every conceivable type of road, but, in a first on a press launch, I got to ride the bike in the sea. While its performance in wheel-deep salt water was amazing, what really impresses is the Adventure's real-world attributes.

The 75-degree V-twin is the lightest and most compact motor in the class, yet it is a punchy unit suited to all sorts of situations. Mostly, it will be used for touring, when the low and medium rev torque makes it effortless. Up the pace and the bike drives out of corners confidently and is happy to be spun hard, producing useful power until the limiter calls time near 10,000rpm.

The sweetest spot is in the 5,000rpm to 7,000rpm range, the muscularity enhanced by the eager and predictable throttle response. It vibrates quite harshly in this area, although it is not as irritating as the buzzier vibes of a four and the offbeat blat of the soundtrack adds character.

The chassis is equally impressive, in particular in its high-speed stability. Trail bikes generally become vaguer as the speed increases, but the Adventure tracks true. It is also the most agile bike in the class. In corners, the tyres grip enough to get the footpegs grounding, which is harder than most riders would want to push it. The S version isn't quite as secure at high speeds, but that is relative only to the stock 990.

For touring, it works superbly, especially because KTM has finally discovered how to make seats comfortable. The distinctive, if not pretty, fairing does a good but wind-noisy job of protecting the rider, while the 4.8-gallon tank should offer a decent range, although the 950 could be thirsty and we didn't get a chance to check the 990's consumption. Because the bike's accessories list includes a wide range of luggage and related equipment, it is fair to say it excels as a touring bike.

You really can take it off-road, too, and for tougher terrain than farm tracks and forest firebreaks. Powerslide it through the surf too if you feel the urge; two machines disappeared beneath the waves altogether, but were running again perfectly after half an hour's drainage.

If you really do yearn for proper off-road ability, then there is only one rival, the excellent BMW R1200GS. The KTM is lighter, much more compact, sharper, more exciting, better in the dirt and generally superior on the road, with no obvious downsides either, aside from BMW's superior dealer network. Even against trail-styled machines, the Austrian bike comes out on top.

KTM Adventure
    Price/availability: £8,695 on the road. On sale at the end of February. Contact KTM Sportmotorcycle UK: 01280 709511, www.ktm.co.uk.
    Engine/transmission: 999cc, V-twin four-stroke with eight valves; 98bhp at 8,500rpm, 70lb ft of torque at 6,500rpm. Six-speed gearbox, chain final drive.
    Performance: top speed 120mph (est), average fuel consumption N/A.
    We like: Responsive engine, agility, stability, all-round ability.
    We don't like: Some vibration, wind noise, limited colour schemes.
    Alternatives: BMW R1200GS, £8,715.
  12. christian

christian Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    Not too sure about these two statments, Can any one verify?
    -No ABS for the "S" version?
    -4.8 gallons. Did we lose a gallon?
  14. Geordietraveller

Geordietraveller On the road to nowhere...

Oddometer:
    That'll be 4.8 UK gallons (4.5l) as opposed to US gal (3.8l)

Simon:thumb
  15. blouvalk

blouvalk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heard Alfie Cox in Durban,South Africa is taking the first dillivery of 990's this week.
  16. burgerking

burgerking echt bezopen

Oddometer:
    Just read a dutch test, from the introduction at Fuerteventura. Only neagtive comments: throttle control/fuel injection to snatchy, rear brake to agressive.
    Bloke that tested the 990 and 990S said he actually prefered riding em back home instead of getting on the plane
  17. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    Man ! You Europeans are getting screwed. Even your Gal. measurements are smaller than the US. Gal. measurments.:rofl
  18. ktmdevil

ktmdevil n00b

Oddometer:
    Can I add my 2 cents worth? The difference between the carb and FI models is chalk and cheese! I have a super duke and it is awesome!!! Ive seen that the quoted power figures are similar.... in factory condition...however when you fit a new exhaust and remap things are different to say the least.
    My only concerns about the new model are the head gasket issue( see other post) and needing to buy more tyres!
  19. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    I love it. One post. And now the new modles have a head gasket issue.
  20. Mikas

Mikas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Ain't that the truth...