Klx250sf??

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Birdmove, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to hear from owners of this little "super moto"Kawasaki to hear there thoughts on this bike. It looks like a really fun back road scratcher. I read somewhere that it has higher gearing than the dual sport version, and that it will top out at a pretty high speed for a 250.

I have to say that I have rediscovered how fun a smaller motorcycle can be.There are some petty decent prices on new SF models at some dealers in western Wa. State. I'm going to go look at some Kawasakis in the morning. I hope to see one of these, and a Versus (never seen one yet), and an ER6N (ditto), and a dual sport KLX250 also.

Thanks, Jon
  2. EdM

EdM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This inquiry went nowhere when first posted but thought I'd bring it back up.

I've been mulling over the Suzuki TU250 for a while. Yesterday I received the latest issue of "Cycle World" and saw - in an ad for Progressive insurance of all places - a photo of a young lady astride a nice looking Kawasaki. With the help of a magnifying glass my old eyes managed to read KLX250sf on the side panels and now I'm wondering if anyone here can comment on their experience with this model.

Thank you.

Ned
  3. DingDangKid

DingDangKid El Lechero

Oddometer:
    I'm assuming the SF means StreetFighter? It seems like a pretty exciting bike. I've been keeping my eyes open for something along those lines. I'm going to be looking into kawi now:sick

-Spencer
  4. EdM

Oddometer:
    BTT one more time since threads get buried really fast on this forum.

Ned
  5. Sinfield

Sinfield Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really hope that all these manufacturers recent infatuations w/ smaller motards starts trickling up to their bigger, badder bikes in the next few years.
  6. dan0

dan0 just going with it.

Oddometer:
    I just picked up one on Tuesday, in the rain. Then rode some Wednesday (in the drizzle/rain) before heading to Boston for some work. Got back yesterday and rode about 72 miles on it.

It is great fun on back roads, keeps up just fine on main rds. (I.e Route 7 & 202 in CT)

Had it to an indicated 77mph so far in fifth with more rev to go.

I'm liking it a lot so far, and will eventually pipe and jet it for a little more snap.

It's perfect for me as a still fairly new rider and conservative (closing on two years / 3000 miles approx.) It was cheap to buy and cheap to insure, should be fun to kick around on, hit the highway, and take some longer trips / adventures with.

[​IMG]
    Bitingdog likes this.
  7. JingJing

JingJing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

As most of you know, I used to ride a DRZ400SM but finally decided that this bike was too big for me (ergonomics). I traded it for the little KLX250SF and couldn't be happier. I don't see any difference in power (but then I'm only 125 lbs) and it it has no problem going 70 mph. I'm not sure about higher speeds because there sure are a lot of cops everywhere I go!:evil

Anyway, East TN (near the Gap) is full of twisty roads and nice back roads so this little bike is the perfect scoot for this type of riding and for a person my size. Hubby has also ridden it and was surprised at how peppy it is for a 250 (he's 185 lbs).

Right now the only mods are the handguards, lowering link, and dirtbagz which I love for commuting. I'm also working with Rick at Cogent Dynamics to get my bike resprung and lowered.

If you really need more power there are a lot of folks installing Bill Blue's 351cc big bore kit. Happy motoring!:clap
    Bitingdog likes this.
  8. dan0

dan0 just going with it.

Oddometer:
    What kind of rear rack is on your SF JingJing?
  9. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to see, after starting this thread last December, that it's finally getting some action. I very much like the concept of these "super moto" type of motorcycles, and this Kawasaki seems like a great one. I bought a new 2001 KLR250 that year, and found that it handled extremely well on the paved and twisty backroads in an area around Lake Cushman Wa., when a pal and I were riding on trails, dirt roads, and jeep trails. I had so much fun on the twisty tarmac with that motorcycle. That's when I got interested in bikes like the DRZ400SM and later, this Kawasaki. Even with the stock dual sport tires on that KLR, it still had very good traction on the street and could be leaned unbelievably far over.

Jon
  10. JingJing

JingJing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the Turbo City Borrego rack (> 2009) and it's a bit of a bear to mount with the dirtbagz racks as they both want to use the two holes where the rear tool bag used to be. My mechanic friend wrestled it a bit and finally solved the problem by mounting the Borrego rack first, then mounted the u-shaped bracket (where the dirtbagz attach) on top of the Borrego rack using spacers. I know it's a bit hard to follow without a photo. If you're really interested let me know and I'll snap a few pics. Once you see the pics, it's pretty clear.

11. bearcat1

bearcat1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The SF looks like a fun bike. I tried in vain to get my wife interested in one. Truth be known I also wanted it to ride!:D It looks like a great first bike to build experience on. It also appears it would make a nice around town and back road commuter. I'm not too sure about getting on the highway for more than a few miles though.
  12. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    I commuted from Bonney Lake into Seattle, Wa. on my KLR250. I left very early in the am (like 5:00 am), so often took a back road route to work (about a 65 mile round trip). Often I took the freeway home (I-5), because I got off at 2:30 pm and needed to get the hell out of town ASAP before the Boeing employees got off at 3:00 and plugged the roads. The KLR actually did all right on the freeways at 55-60 mph, and the KLX probably has more horsepower than the older KLR. I certainly wouldn't take it on long rides on a freeway, but it got me around just fine and returned about 68 mpg too.

I shpild mention that I', about 5'9" and 180 pounds.

jon
  13. bearcat1

bearcat1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Jon,

You have a well rounded fleet of motorcycles! It sounds like the ole KLR did it's job well. I would imagine that the KLX would be equally as good if not a little better. I sooo bad wanted my wife to start out on a smaller machine for all of the obvious safety reasons. The only way to build experience is to ride, preferably a smaller bike. The KLX250SF would make a much better start, plus I could actually ride it to work taking mostly back roads with a short rip up I-5. Oh well it is not to be.:baldy

Andy
  14. Ranger Ron

Ranger Ron Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The final drive ratios are the same even thought they have different sprocket sizes. 14/42 for the "S" and 13/39 for the "SF".

Visually, the "SF" tires look shorter. If they really are then that would make the overall ratio lower, not higher.

Ron :D
  15. dan0

dan0 just going with it.

Oddometer:
    I've gotten about 225 miles on mine since I picked it up last week, rain and going to Boston for a few days slowed me down.

I'm not an entirely new rider (about 3500 miles between a CB550k and a GS500e), but this will help hone my skills, before moving up to a bigger bore dual sport / supermoto and probably a 650cc naked streetbike that I foresee sometime in the future.

I'll be commuting into work on it tomorrow (50 miles highway there), I can always hop off ad take back roads so I'm not worried if it doesn't feel right on there. I'm definitely taking backroads home :clap
  16. dan0

dan0 just going with it.

Oddometer:
    Since this is one of the first that comes up in search I'm just going to keep using it for some of my posts on my bike. :smile6
  17. EdM

Oddometer:
    danO:

Will be interested in your reports.

As I mentioned I'm considering the Suzuki TU250 as well. Appears the SF is capable of a somewhat higher top speed than the TU; that's not a huge factor to me given my sedate riding style but would be nice to know it's there if needed.

Are you concerned with range? With the small tank I'm thinking you will need to fill up on a daily basis?

Ride safe.

Ned
  18. dan0

dan0 just going with it.

Oddometer:
    61mpg at today's somewhat unexpected fillup.

I left the house (Torrington, CT) with 71miles on the trip odometer. I figured I would make it to work (Danbury CT - 50 miles) But I had to switch to reserve before Waterbury. Stopped at exit 16 for gas. I put in 1.6g, so I had more to go (2 gallon tank) but I don't like pushing it on reserve.

It can do highway just fine, I cruised most of Route 8 at an indicated 70-72mph, and did 80mph for just a short bit on I-84. It had more to go too. BUT it is soooo boring after doing most of my riding on backroads. So tonight I'll take 84 to 7 and hit backroads through New Milford and home. An hour on the highway is boring.

So it will do highway just fine, but for the fun factor you'll find yourself avoiding the highways for longer stretches.
  19. punkenduro

punkenduro now in a cage...

Oddometer:
    really is true, but thats the fun of a 250. if i wanted to ride freeways all day, i would have gotten a streetbike.
  20. David R

David R I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer:
    On monday I brought home an 09 250SF with just a few miles on it. What a freekin blast. I had 400 miles on it by thursday. I am getting about 62 or 63 mpg. I have had it up to 84 mph in 5th gear @ 10,000 rpm. It still has a little more, especially if I were to tuck and use 6th gear. The bike is all of what it says it is. Streetbike tires with NO chicken strips, Easy to ride and fun. Suspension is adjustable front and rear. Brakes are killer. It really seemed like a dog on the test drive. It did have old gas in it. On the second test drive they put fresh gas in it and I took my 18 year old son to see how he liked it. He would not drive it at the dealer so I had him get on as a passenger and we went for a spin. I saw 60+ MPH in a residential area so I decided it had enough balls for just me @ a little less than 200 lbs.

It corners awesome. I can get the rear tire really hot with the recommended 33 psi, so I raised it up to 37 but can't report back on that yet. I beat the heck out of it grinning the whole time I ride it. The ride to work is 18 miles, no highway. Its a good ride. While at work I can jump on it to fetch parts or go get lunch. I made a service call to repair a golf cart so I threw some tools in the saddle bags and off I went in my Kawasaki service truck.

Girlfriend says its too small for both of us, but that is ok with me.

The seat and gas tank are both good for about an hour. I did pass a car with it thursday morning on the way to work. It needs some space and I really cranked it up.

For mods I have done none yet. I did order a kit from dynojet because it runs a little lean. There is no aftermarket exhaust I can find that is quiet so it will remain stock for now. Once the snow gets here, I will send the seat out for some help. Its just a moto cross seat. Until then I will deal with it.

Back roads around my home and in the black top jungle (city) are where it feels the best. My friends tell me I can put knobbies on it, but I like it just the way it is. When these tires wear out I will replace them with the same type. The one with 18"/21" wheels was sitting right next to it on the show room floor. I wanted the urban assault model with 17" sport bike tires.

I did open up the screws on the front and rear shocks and go for a ride in the field across the street and out back. It did pretty well. I could sit on the seat in first gear. Anything faster than that I had to stand on the pegs. I am not a dirt rider, so no biggie.

Then I turned the screws all the way in to see how it rode. rough as can be on blacktop, so I stopped and opened up the rebound screw to 8 clicks. After the first click, the bike went back up to its regular riding position. The rear shock was totally locked up with compression and rebound all the way in. Those adjustments do work.

Cruising at 55 or 60 is 5th or 6 gear. Its more peppy in 5 th, but will handle it in 6. 60 mph in 6 gear = 6200 rpm 60mph in 5th gear is 7,000 rpm.

In the city in lower gears its peppy and zippy enough to get into trouble.

I feel invisible on this bike. I have been looking for a green (kawasaki) or orange vest to wear. People seem to look right through me.

I have a BMW R1100RT and r75/6, so this is by far my smallest bike. I am also 50 working on my second childhood having a total blast. NOT a beginner rider, I am 50 riding since I was 10. I put 22,000 miles on the RT this year.

This bike is nohting but pure fun on 2 wheels.

David