Mar. 28-31, 2013 Death Valley Noob's Rally

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by nsfw, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    Oh, BTW, we have a Scott's 20% off and a dirt tricks 50% off certificate from the raffle, any of you FF's plan on buying from them soon I'll pass them on as we won't being using either for quite some time. PM me and I'll mail them out when I can.

-Finn
  2. BogeyMan

BogeyMan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finn, I feel for ya. Really I do. Today was the first time since March 6th (when I fractured my wrist) that I've ridden a bike - and it wasn't on dirt. Managed an easy commute to/from work, but it sure beats the general suckiness that is public transport. I am still bummed that I had to miss the rally and we didn't get to meet. I am eagerly awaiting the post announcing next year's rally.... hopefully you'll be there, or that we'll meet up sometime before then.

In the meantime, tell me more about this block and tackle setup you have.
  3. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    I've been carrying it for years, finally had to use it when I went off a steep trail I couldn't get back up on easily and didn't want to tear up the side of the mountain. Worked perfectly and exactly the situation why I carry one for my solo adventures. Packs about the size of a cigarette pack.

http://www.happy-trail.com/Products/EZ-Pull-(Adventure-Engineering)__AEN-spc-EZ-spc-PULL.aspx

I carry a couple of climbing slings out of my work climbing gear kit, I was lucky with a good rock to rig to this time and figure if there no natural rig point I figured I could pound my Enduro Star Trail Stand into the ground to tie off to, since I carry a 15' tow strap I can use that too if need be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

COngrats on getting back in the saddle, hope to meet you sometime soon and let our Bergs' meet!
  4. macadamia

macadamia XK Red 27 Technique Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's the GSA version of the recovery system... spendy, but still less expensive than a tow truck having to pull you back up to the trail...

Not for sale online from this site, unfortunately...
    http://pugetsoundsafety.com/main.php?task=products&cmd=main#cat=23&pid=73

Same item, but available for sale online...
    http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-340-motorcycle-recovery-system-mrs.aspx

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1DnDCWvVEag" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  5. macadamia

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your injury... Get well soon and keep taking photos... :clap
  6. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    finn, damn that's worse that i thought. i agree, the protective armor and jacket offered some degree of protection, without them it would have been a lot worse.

all of us here are hoping for your recovery. give us a shout if you need anything, which i'm sure we can come up with something.

andy - you're such a giver. like dave pinocono said, it's the gift that keeps on giving.....:clap

folks. mark your 2014 calendar, march 27, 28 and 29. same as the last one, we are taking over the whole campground and hotel rooms.

however..........they have a new policy now. i have to make a deposit for the reservation. no more verbal.

PSR management wants you to know that they are thankful for the huge business they received from us. biggest so far this year. gas, lunch and alcohol tabs hit the fan. noobs on alcohol.....:huh
  7. macadamia

Oddometer:
    Calendar marked - start the bloody thread already! :lol3
  8. GSequoia

GSequoia I know a few things about radios... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on it!
  9. Stinez

Stinez Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer:
    That looks somewhat familiar.
    This one is the result of a friends mountain bike accident.

[​IMG]

Clavicle breakage seems to be going around. :yikes

I should add that the guy is back to full time work (fireman) and riding because he, with his wife's help, didn't exceed the doctors orders when it came to doing shit.
    LET IT HEAL!!!
  10. RED05

RED05 @motomedic_rob

Oddometer:
    Originally Posted by NSFW. mark your 2014 calendar, march 27, 28 and 29. same as the last one, we are taking over the whole campground and hotel rooms.

I am in and will bring 2 more Paramedics.
  11. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    what he said :deal
  12. McKay

McKay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bring a spare shifter too! :evil
  13. RED05

RED05 @motomedic_rob

Oddometer:
    I have my old one still and will keep it on the bike.:dhorse
    Thanks again!
  14. McKay

McKay Long timer

Oddometer:
    So how many miles did you manage to get out of the 80's?
  15. RED05

RED05 @motomedic_rob

Oddometer:
    I still have the rear on but it is done - the front is fine. I guess its time to put a different one on. I was happy with how the TKC80 handled but 3 days on a new tire and 20% left is unacceptable. Maybe i spin my tires too much.
  16. isaac004

isaac004 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn, that is unfortunate Finn, just read this thread now after some absence. Hope you heal fast, and glad it was not worse!
  17. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:

Thanks Joel, folks have been most gracious in offering help and it is much appreciated. I'm having some trouble sleeping now and then..... late night posting here.... but goes with the territory while waiting for meds to kick back in.
    The surgery went very well, better than I had imagined and I'm starting to feel better already with lots of help from Nancy.

With all the good advice and encouragement I'll be back in no time. :clap

Great to hear we already have dates for next year, start the countdown! :freaky

I have to say though, PSR should be taking care of things like the trash and supplying more toilets, WE are the customers here and you're paying them more money for 1 weekend than just about anyone else for their entire year. They shouldn't be squeezing you for trash pickup money and we shouldn't have to haul out our own trash after paying to stay at a private campground resort, or having 3 toilets for 200+ people. That was gross towards the end and it was frustrating to see you scrambling to collect money for trash pick up after all the work you've done and money paid to PSR.
    That place was dead each time I went through this year, I bet your event is like a months income or more.
    You are the client giving them big business, I just hope you can use that to negotiate what's best for you, for the charities we are raising money for and for us poor advriders. :lol3
    Now they want a cash deposit in advance from a non-profit, well established organizer like you?

Shady.

With how much cash you pay them, we could have portable toilets and showers brought into all that flat public land down by Ballarat and have the event without them...

alright, percoset kicked in, i'll stop babbling. :flug
  18. McKay

McKay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heal quick, count me in for some rides when your better and I agree with the PSR rant.

I was right next the F'n toilets this year, well behind the poor guys in that motorhome, it was shall we say, fresh by the second day!

19. Stinez

Stinez Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer:
    What he said. :deal
    OK except for the percoset kicking in part. :evil

IMO - We should be accommodated and not milked for what would be normal business practices simple because we have so many participants.
  20. SQ Beemer

SQ Beemer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lockwood Valley Road towards 33/Ojai? I took that route home after Warped.

I believe this is the corner:

[​IMG]

I slowed my pace down a few minutes before this to take in the scenery. I did that at just the right time apparently..

Hope you recover quickly!