ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2015, 06:21 PM   #3496
Toto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
This all may be in the damping and rebound settings.
I too find the front end quite stiff.
I went with two rings on the front preload because of my weight.
I will try it tomorrow.
I really suspect that the proper damping and rebound setting will be the answer once you find the proper preload for your weight.
Like I said earlier, what you percieve as initial stiffness may be the correct setting for your weight, but we will need to play around with the other two settings to control spring velocity, because that "rough" ride may be too quick or
too slow spring movement, which is somewhat controlled by damping and rebound, or so I am led to believe.
It is all new to me also.
I might get out tomorrow and see.
Also, it is a new bike so there is some stiction and it is quite cool which will affect fluid velocities.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:14 PM   #3497
moe.ron
Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer: 2,741
I want to precursor this post with the fact I am an idiot, ask anybody...

Preload = spring compression correct? If you go from 4 rings to 2 rings wont that compress the spring further? Wouldn't that in turn stiffen the ride more?

Sure wish I could see that manual online.
moe.ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:09 PM   #3498
Toto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by moe.ron View Post
I want to precursor this post with the fact I am an idiot, ask anybody...

Preload = spring compression correct? If you go from 4 rings to 2 rings wont that compress the spring further? Wouldn't that in turn stiffen the ride more?

Sure wish I could see that manual online.
Yes it will, so to speak.
But I found that when I softend the back preload it was worse.
So I "stiffened" the front and upped the damping and compression settings.
I have not tried it out yet, but I will tomorrow and get back to you.
Like I said, I believe that properly adjusting spring velocity rate re compression and damping probably has more effect on ride, once you get the sag set properly.
We will see.
It worked for the rear, so I will try it for the front.
Of course, I could be right off the wall here.
Now , this is for street only settings.
I would imagine that if you are doing offroad, you would want a little less damping and compression as the suspension will move more distance and more frequently, so too much damping and compression restriction will cause your suspension to "stack", in that it will not have time to return to it's neutral position for the next "bump".
If some one is an expert here,maybe they can step in and give us some help.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:59 PM   #3499
pirateridaaargh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Good to see and I'm surprised it's coming from Suzuki.

Quote:
Itís a little unusual to report on technical advances being made by Suzuki Motorcycles, but new patents published indicate that Suzuki is looking at becoming only the second manufacturer after Ducati to utilize variable valve timing in a motorcycle.

Despite being a common feature in car engines for decades now, variable valve timing is now only just coming into use on motorcycles with Ducatiís updated Multistrada 1200. The benefits of VVT include reduced fuel consumption, decreased emissions and probably most importantly for motorcycle aficionados, better and smoother power delivery.

The patent filed by Suzuki (it should be noted itís not the first related to VVT by Suzuki) is for the addition of a control valve for oil pressure on the front cylinder head which supplies oil to a variable valve mechanism. The engine design in the patent is a V-Twin and if you look at the patent sketches next to a picture of the V-Strom 1000ís engine, itís obvious to see the resemblance.

Rest is here.
pirateridaaargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:27 PM   #3500
Farmer Hank
Arrogant Know It All

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirateridaaargh View Post
Good to see and I'm surprised it's coming from Suzuki.

Rest is here.
I think the Kawasaki Concours 14 has had VVT for a couple years now. Don't know why Ducati and Suzuki are getting all the credit.
Farmer Hank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:09 AM   #3501
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by slg02 View Post
I'm still figuring out my suspension, I was 4 clicks away from max preload on rear and It was still diving really deep, next time I'll max it and put some preload on front, but that won't do much good to raise clearance. I really want to convert it for more offroad use tho, any hints?
Tenere.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:25 AM   #3502
mattherat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
bent handlebars

i ran up the back of a van at low speed [ it was mainly his fault ] and dropped it on the rhs . minor damage to barkbusters and handlebar . anyone tried an after market brand of handlebar they can recommend , what ive seen so far aint wide enough and not enough rise . will need risers . also fyi new tyres coming v soon conti tkc70 look good . original tyres have done over 17000 kms im happy with that .
mattherat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM   #3503
motoretro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
While searching for a new V-Strom, I was quoted a price for a leftover 2014 at $10,200 + Tax. No set-up or shipping fees. How does this sound?
Motoretro
motoretro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM   #3504
MRBLACK947
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoretro View Post
While searching for a new V-Strom, I was quoted a price for a leftover 2014 at $10,200 + Tax. No set-up or shipping fees. How does this sound?
Motoretro
Buy it asap.

That's 300 less then I paid for my 2014 and it was a demo bike with 350 miles on it.
Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM   #3505
MRBLACK947
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
My balls are installed.

Great product so far. I've never used RAM prior to this.

I went with the Slim Grip brand phone holder which comes with a RAM ball screwed to it. Made out of black kydex. This phone will not fall out. Probably not even in a crash. Also the nice thing is that all the functions are usable while it's in the holder to include the camera. Now to see if I can find a short usb cable so I don't have to wind it up around things.

Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM   #3506
motoretro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBLACK947 View Post
Buy it asap.

That's 300 less then I paid for my 2014 and it was a demo bike with 350 miles on it.
Thanks for the reply and info.
Motoretro
motoretro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:24 AM   #3507
slg02
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Chaseontwowheels ride and review of 2015 V-Strom
slg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:24 PM   #3508
ARiderX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
^^ prejudiced guy who talks like a six year old is prejudiced...

Serioulsy, he has like a 3 word vocabulary.

Nonetheless, another statement as to how great this bike is, and how it could appeal to a lot of different riders. He says his own ride is an R6. Welcome the world of real useable torque on the street in rev ranges where you would usually ride in. Can be a real eyeopener indeed. But maybe it will make people less concerned about what sort of horsepower a bike is pulling at max. rev.

Oh, and he makes the eternal mistake of labelling this bike as an "off road" bike (because it is tall) It's not and it is not the sort of bike suzuki is portraying it to be...