Newer r1200GS reliability

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by A19pilot, Apr 4, 2010.

1. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    07 12GS with 63,000 miles. I'm over $4,000 in repairs through my extended warranty, so it hasn't cost me hardly any $ out of pocket, just all the time the bike is at the dealer getting repaired.

My advice, yes GS's are awesome bikes, but if you put lots of miles on them, get the extended warranty and have a backup bike for those times your bike is down.:deal
  2. hyena

hyena Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Hyena, I'd be glad to help. I've bought them all in your state from a guy named Mike.:deal
  4. jwest

jwest Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you recall the vin range? I'm looking at a couple 09 GS/A, identical other than vin.
  5. reinerka

reinerka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Our '09 GSA just turned the 13000 mile marker and we've had no issue apart of that there must be some kind of gas leak somewhere. It runs out about 350 to 400 miles consistently. The dealer hasn't be able to resolve that issue (yet).

I've been afraid of the BMW shaft drive coming from the LD community where all the fun is about that issue all the time. People don't understand why those riders don't switch from BMW. Now being back into the BMW camp I completely know why. There is simply no replacement for the fun you can have with them.

As for the '10 changes. Who knows what else has changed. BMW isn't going to tell and you would have to go through all the parts pages to compare the '09 to the '10.

Having ridden a '10 R1200RT rescently I would go and buy a '10 right away if we didn't have the '09 already. Buy it and ride the wheels off the bike......

The warranty is 36,000 miles or 36 month - whatever comes first. You can buy additional warranties from many places (not BMW). But remember that those companies make money on those policies. So on average you pay more than you will ever retrieve.

Reiner
  6. RottVet

RottVet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I don't know that. My bike was received by the dealer in Aug 09, purchased in Oct 09. I will try to get that info when take her to the shop.
  7. Z50Pilot

Z50Pilot Sparky

Oddometer:
    Warranty companies make money on the extended policies several ways. Not paying claims is one way, but from people not using them is a larger source. When you buy your bike and get an extra 4 years of coverage, you don't start using the extended coverage until the factory runs out. Many people total their bikes, trade them in, or sell them without canceling the extented coverage. When this happens the company keeps that money as profit.

You don' have to purchase the extended coverage right away. You can pick it up anytime while the factory warranty is still active. I bought my extended warranty less then a month before the factory expired. I used it for the FD which would have cost 2.5 times what the extended coverage cost. For me, it's worth the piece of mind that if something were to break I should not have to pay for it.
  8. hyena

hyena Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mike as in Abt? If so - he sold me mine. Next time I'll ask him to give me the one ear marked for you. :D
  9. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    I to have the '07 GSA...did you take your bike in for the new antenna [-247] and fuel controller?
  10. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    $5,000 in repairs all covered under the extended warranty which expires in May :eek1
  11. hillbillypolack

hillbillypolack Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer:
    '07 GS, 4500 miles, which is embarrasingly low, but zero issues. Stock, no mods to the engine or accessories yet. All electrics, clutch, sensors and systems have been 100% since new (knock wood). Love the bike.
  12. KTM640Dakar

KTM640Dakar Motorsick

Oddometer:
    Buy one, you will not be sorry. If you are worried about reliability then buy a newer one with a warranty. Mine (2006 GSA) has 28000 miles and not one problem. If you went 50000 miles and did have a final drive problem would it cost more than five chains and 5 pairs of drive sprockets and rear sprockets to fix? I get about 10,000 miles out of a chain and pay about $100 per chain, $50 per sprocket pair (if your lucky). So at $150 per 10K miles you would spend $750 to go 50,000 miles. What does a final drive repair cost?
  13. smg94131

smg94131 SF-CA R1200GS

Oddometer:
    07 R1200GS - 25K with no issues other than a few recalls and one dead battery. Routine service and no other issues.

Once you own one, you will be hard pressed to find another bike that is better. It truly is well engineered for usability and balance. It may be over engineered to a fault but that can be the price you pay for a good ride.
  14. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Mike A. Bought 8 from him since '03, even the non gs's have been perfect.:D
  15. evilmedic13

evilmedic13 Sarcastic & Fantastic

Oddometer:
    I have an 09. Bought it in april of 09 and took it to Alaska in June. Absolutely ZERO problems before and since, if only people were that reliable.
    As a few others have said, just ride one and enjoy it. These are more fun and less trouble than most of the women I've wasted money on. If I could recoup all that money I'd own a house big enough to store a few bikes ,as well as all my other vehicles:lol2
  16. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    McComb MS, where men are men and sheep are nervous
    Fuel level sensor replaced at 11.5 K under warranty. That has been my only issue. Love the bike, great for touring. great for exploring.
  17. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    If you want the ride to have, buy one. All the warranty problems are well known and BMW has a reputation for being upfront and responsive. I have an '07 - because I wanted to get away from the servo-assist - and need to take care of the fuel delivery recall before my warranty expires next month. No other problems - other than a mechanic who didn't tighten the rear brake assembly which ate up half the spokes when it flopped loose.

My opinion - best bike I've ever ridden.

My advice - if you want a GS, just get one. I loved my 1100 and the 12 is great, too. Don't pucker up about the mechanics when there are a whole bunch of f***ers coming in the opposite direction that can make a whole bigger mess of your bike. In this day and age, there are quite a few bikes that can do what you want and reliability has never been greater. Ride it. If it breaks, fix it.
  18. BriKielyGSman

BriKielyGSman BigBadBri

Oddometer:
    Probably 45,000km were two up fully loaded. I take mine on dirt roads and in the bush as much as I can. Everything (except brakes) is original including clutch, rear shock and battery. The only issue I have ever experienced is brake problems (only on one trip) when riding in the pouring rain for days on end - wet electronics I presume.

Not too many other bikes can do this two up with all the camping gear etc etc.....

Attached Files:

19. GSA GIRL

GSA GIRL Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just bought a new 2010 R1200GS Adventure and in the 2 days and 90 miles I've owned it, I've had no problems whatsoever. I haven't even needed to Add Gas. :clap
    Tri1 likes this.
  20. crazyhawk99

crazyhawk99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No issues to date. I am very happy with the bike.

If you have test ridden one and liked it, you will like it even more when you get one and put some miles on it to really appreciate the bike. If you have never ridden one, then do so NOW, otherwise you will have no idea what you are missing. It ain't all hype - it's the real deal!