Propsed route North Ga, Smoky Mountains

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by Juice Box, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Juice Box

Juice Box Got Ink?

Oddometer:
    Did i miss anything? Comments on proposed route would be much appreciated? Any points of interest off the beaten path?

[​IMG]
  2. foster

foster Introverted and proud of it

Oddometer:
    Hey Juice,
    That's a nice route you picked but the question is how much time do you have to spend in the area and when do you plan to do this??

If you're limited in time and want a good taste of the area, you're route is as good as any you might choose and provides a mix of riding and scenery.

If you provide a bit more info regarding timing and types of things you would like to see/do, I'm sure we'll have a number of suggestions.

Points of interest might also depend on a willingness to spend time on gravel.
  3. Juice Box

Juice Box Got Ink?

Oddometer:
    We will be in town for 5 days starting Memorial day weekend. Do you think the proposed route is ridable in one very long day? I love GRAVEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  4. Land

Land Wanderer

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    Man, posting that question with that map with just that fracton of roads highlighted is about like kissing one girl (hey, it's a family forum) during your life and asking, "Did I miss anything?":lol3 (Though, to take the metaphor a little further, she is quite a girl!:evil )

Pretty much every road in that area is a gem. Since it looks like you're riding pavement, don't miss NC 28 from Franklin up to the edge of your map. And since you'll be there anyway, go ahead and do the Dragon and get a t-shirt.

Others will probably pipe in.:ear (Edit: See, good ole Foster already has. I type slow.)

Happy ridin',
    Chris
  5. Juice Box

Juice Box Got Ink?

Oddometer:
    Staying in Bryson City May 22-26
  6. Juice Box

Juice Box Got Ink?

Oddometer:
    What about good places to eat along this route?
  7. foster

foster Introverted and proud of it

Oddometer:
    I think you can do that loop in one really long day in the saddle. There are a number of good Forest Service roads throughout the area. One system follows the valley below the Cherohala Skyway and other good ones exist throughout NC and Georgia.

I second Land on the Hwy 28 suggestion. Not only from Franklin to Hwy 74 but from Hwy 74 up to Deals Gap.

Be prepared: it will be a zoo up here that weekend! Bikes, cars, paddlers, idiots and tourists and probably a fair amount of law enforcement. I hear they're already stepping up efforts in N. Ga.

Keep us posted there will be opportunities to hook up with locals if you like.

The DOGs (Georgia)will be adding to this I am sure and know the area well.
  8. Tripper

Tripper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not a bad road in your list there. You'll love 60/68. You might want to look at 197 from 76 west of Clayton to Batesville.

I've ridden a very close approximation of your map many times and it makes for a long and enjoyable day. As mentioned, 28 north out of Franklin is great, but if I had to choose either one, it would be Wayah. Less traffic for sure. Make no mistake though, 28 from Highlands to Deals Gap is an absolute blast if you catch the traffic just right.The run early morning to Tellico Plains is wonderful. For that matter, the run down to Warwoman in the early morning is good. So, north or east out of Suches is fine. For me it works better to run the route clockwise.

Have a blast and stay safe.
    ~lloyd in atlanta
  9. Juice Box

Juice Box Got Ink?

Oddometer:
    That would be awesome, we would love to hook up with some locals. I have a group of about 10-12 coming from www.dualsportridersoflouisiana.com

10. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    What sort of bikes are y'all on?

I would not miss Wayah Rd near Robbinsville, Germany road west of Clayton, the Cherohala Skyway to Tellico Plains, or Warwoman Rd east of Clayton.

From Tellico Plains to The GA line near Ducktown I personally prefer Tellico-Reliance Rd (I think it's Hwy 30 or something) and you get to ride along the same river they did the 96 Olympics on as well that way. But 68 is also nice and is shorter. However if you get stuck behind a parade of cars or cruisers it takes FOREVER and there are few chances to pass. 68 is more popular and more well traveled than Tellico-Relliance Rd is.

In Helen you should run 348 for sure.
  11. Mr Baggins

Mr Baggins Stinky Feet

Oddometer:
    Juice
    To tell you the truth it really does not matter what road you take around here.

They are all good.

If you do this route in one day and you add in some gravel you will be dog tired.
  12. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    And do not forget to stop by Mr Baggins' to say hey to one of the funniest fuckers you'll ever meet, and a pretty nice dude to boot! Hiya Greg! :freaky
  13. Mr Baggins

Mr Baggins Stinky Feet

Oddometer:
    :wave Flux.
    Wish i could ride with the dogs this weekend.
  14. jimncin

jimncin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

I like the little cafe on the square in old downtown Tellico Plains,

home made pie :thumb

or

the cheap mexican place in McCaysville.

I would stay away from Helen Ga. if it is a holiday.
  15. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    I'll second that. Get some homemade sweet potato fries if they are on the menu. :nod
  16. Juice Box

Juice Box Got Ink?

Oddometer:
    Couple of Motards, a pair of DR-650's, a pair of stroms, couple of GS's, a speed triple and a Daytona.
  17. Reverse

Reverse Armchair Tough

Oddometer:
    Then, stop by Mike's store (Tellico Moto).

I like the route you set out. It is pretty ambitious, but I think can be done. I ride from just North of Atlanta, and I can do Atlanta - Dahlonega - Tellico - Deal's Gap (once up and down), Robbinsville, Murphy, Blairsville - Dahlonega - Atlanta easily in a day (that's about 350 miles IIRC).

If you like gravel (and dirt) roads, you could ride between Tellico and Murphy on forest roads. I did that a few weeks ago on my Adv, fun!

Or you could could ride between Tellico and about halfway down the Skyway on gravel and dirt, then hit the Skyway to brush up on your cornering skills, then on to Deal's Gap to join the festivities.

Mike will be able to fill you in on the details, he's got free maps and will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Some of my favorite roads in the area:

GA60/TN68
    Cherohala Skyway
    Deal's Gap/The Dragon
    Warwoman Road
    215, near Cashiers, NC (between Highway64 and the Blue Ridge Parkway

<iframe marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=NC-215&daddr=35.140237,-82.838287&hl=en&geocode=FYiDGgIdvtMO-w%3B&mra=mi&mrsp=1&sz=11&sll=35.224307,-82.783356&sspn=0.324772,0.722351&ie=UTF8&ll=35.21421,-82.878113&spn=0.392693,0.583649&z=10&output=embed" scrolling="no" width="425" frameborder="0" height="350"></iframe>
    <small>View Larger Map</small>
  18. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    I agree, a stop by Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters is a MUST. I was bummed we got there too late last weekend... Mike passed us as we were filling up at the Chevron there. :cry
  19. WarriorDog

WarriorDog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From Bryson City on the Holiday weekend you should probably go either East or South. Stay away from the Gap on the weekends. Lots of good suggestions mentioned. Great BBQ joint on the Hwy coming off the mountain from Highland into Cashiers. Find Wayah Rd, also find Hwy 28 from Deals Gap to Franklin. In Tennessee, Hwy 68 from Tellico to Ductown then across Hwy 64/74 west to Hwy 30 then take catch 315 (Tellico Reliance Road) to Hwy 39 and back to Tellico. Gotta get on the Cherohala too. In GA, take Hwy 60 south from Blue Ridge Ga to Suches Ga then on to Turners Corner and catch Hwy 129 across Blood Mtn. (Awesome twisties on Blood Mtn) Hwy 180 (near Brasstown Bald) will keep you out of Helen, GA on the holiday weekend. That loop that you pictured can be done in one day. But, it will be a long day.
    If you want some off road stuff then get to Tellico and find the Bald River Falls, the Fish Hatchery and keep on going until the pavement stops for some of the best off road riding in the South. Watch out for the rock crawlers.
  20. Reverse

Reverse Armchair Tough

Oddometer:
    There were some great tips in here for roads I wasn't aware of yet. I put together my Ultimate Tour (a work in progress). I am going to ride this first version tomorrow, 376 miles (not counting riding to and from the Stone Pile in Dahlonega):

[​IMG]