Thomaston Dam Meetup

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by bmwpowere36m3, May 13, 2013.

1. bmwpowere36m3

bmwpowere36m3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Figured I start an official 2013 Thomaston Dam thread for those interested in riding with others :D

I rode there this past weekend (twice) and it was great fun. The weather was good, nobody was there and it was dry.

[​IMG]
  2. tundra61

tundra61 I wish I had a title

Oddometer:
    What are the trails like there? Have never been
  3. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G92zyxAPHTQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lgtAWXe9N_k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EtDL_-0dRC4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just took my daughter and her bf out today
  4. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  5. V8

V8 .

Oddometer:
    Thats one fast looking DRZ sitting there. :deal :lol3
  6. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    Some weirdo owns that thing the guy insisted an leaving with us and making me buy him dinner:huh Dude was so huge and intimidating I didn't want to argue with him:eek1
  7. V8

V8 .

Oddometer:
    Dam Dweller.:rofl
  8. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    lol
  9. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  10. Boianovich

Boianovich Old and Cautious

Oddometer:
    FYI, the lower trail is mostly big bike friendly.

Kenny, you sound like me at the dead trail just past the bridge, (~2:50 mark) "where the F%&K is the trail." Try turning a Tiger around in there. I was so tired, the ruts by the entrance tree WORKED ME!:muutt
  11. bmwpowere36m3

bmwpowere36m3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From my limited riding there, the trails running north (west of old RT8, the paved/gravel road) from the parking area start off easy, but then get into some wicked rocky single-track stuff. However there are a lot of trails that intersect and you can get quickly back onto the paved/gravel road.

The trails running south (east of old RT8) are much easier, mostly dirt/loam.

I guess you could also just run old RT8, which would be the easiest.
  12. gpj530

gpj530 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking to go this Sunday 5-14-13.
    *Edit* Date typo..oops
  13. Dirty in all

Dirty in all Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer:
    Im thinking about bringing my kids up there Thursday morning but I cant really find any information about bikes and riders requirements. I dont know if they dont want to legally come out and say it or what but they have me chasing my tail with DMV and the Police Dept. I called the dam a few times and left a message, I also sent an email but no replies yet. The kids have crf 50s and are ages 8 and 11, full gear. I want to borrow someones 70 actually for the 11 yr old but I read on the Thomaston site that all CT laws apply. Then I call DMV and theyre telling me under 50 ccs no reg but the rider must be M endorsed and above 50cc the bike must be registered. Confusion has set in fully. Ive been there a few times a couple years ago on my street legal bike, got the pipe checked for spark arrestor by an official and I felt like I was in the shriners parade with all the kids on dirt bikes whizzing past and around me. Cant really seem to get an answer on what the deal is. I dont want to hype the kids all up then go there and get turned away. We're shooting for best Dad ever not.. Dad is such a dick!, lol. Thanks in advance for any replies or help.

I just got an email response that has the links they show online for trail bike info, dmv and the trail map. I dont want to stir the pot so Im not going to pursue it any further but it's driving me nuts.
  14. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    http://www.nae.usace.army.mil/Missions/Recreation/ThomastonDam.aspx

Recreation Facilities/Activities
    The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers welcomes you to Thomaston Dam located on the scenic Naugatuck River in Thomaston, Conn. The park offers over 800 acres of public land for a multitude of recreational activities. Hunting, fishing, trail bike riding (two wheel only) and model airplane flying are among the popular activities.

In 1975, the Corps' formally designated a trail area on the west side of the reservoir permitting use of trail bikes and snowmobiles only. Other three and four wheeled all terrain vehicles are prohibited from designated area and other off road areas of the reservoir. Trail-bike visitation usage is very high on weekends.

Bike Trails

Thomaston Dam has designated trails for two wheeled trailbikes, open May 1st through October 14th CONDITIONS PERMITTING. Three and four wheel vehicles are not permitted. A cooperative agreement for trail management has been in place since 1979 with the Pathfinders Motorcycle Club. State registration is required and safety equipment is encouraged. Two small lots are available for parking at the end of the Dam. Please be considerate of others while parking.

===========

It's a U.S. Army corps of Engineers flood control facility.
  15. Dirty in all

Oddometer:
    Gee , you're hysterical.
  16. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
  17. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    It's easier to get forgiveness than permission...

The published info is sketchy at best and you should be able to have fun and not get hassled. I'm sure you could explain your dilemma and worst case they send you home.
  18. Dirty in all

Oddometer:
    Can someone give it to me in laymans terms because Im obviously a moron.

That honda you brought is registered? Does your daughter have a M endorsement?

Trust me Ive been reading everything I can find and and reading it 10 times. Ive seen everything posted here on my own , from email responses, links that lead you to links of the same links. I read it. Am I reading into it too much? Is everyone just hoping they dont get caught? Do they not care? Is it NOT saying I CANT ride an unregistered vehilce and be an underage rider? Can you tell me your exact experience? ... "we just brought the bike and rode, screw it"..."yes we have the bike registered and the kids are all of legal driving age"... "hey dumbass just take the kids riding its ok"... "dude you cant take the kids riding there on unregistered bikes"

-All CT state laws pertaining to trail bike use apply.
    -CT requires registration on trail bikes. Please see CT DMV for registration info
    -All 16-and 17-year-olds must obtain a learner’s permit before a driver’s license.
    -Anyone 18 years of age or older must obtain an adult learner’s permit before obtaining a driver's license.

What I see from pics, videos and my experience at the dam is theres a ton of kids underage and riding full blown unregistered dirt bikes. I just dont want to leave a stain on the program. I want do the right thing. Would it be so hard for anyone to tell me what the deal is? I dont understand.
  19. Happy Seal

Happy Seal Long timer

Oddometer:
    ATV registration is required, that is all!

I've got a Yamaha PW80 for sale and it runs like a champ. Will need tires at some point. I have not posted it for sale yet.
  20. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    Join the club, no one I know has figured out what the real deal is and just goes there with their kids and have fun riding.