950 vs Gran Canyon

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by sti_rx7, Jan 23, 2006.

1. sti_rx7

sti_rx7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok which one goes the 950 or Gran Canyon? Opinions please!!!!!:huh
  2. cagiva549

cagiva549 Gone timer

Oddometer:
    Both of mine are keepers GC is o so comfortable, and happy on 2 track KTM is fine off road but not near as comfy. SEYA
  3. Speedzter

Speedzter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When you say "goes" , do you mean performance ?
    I had a Cagiva Navigator before the 950, and it was definately faster, but
    not by a lot. But damn that was a comfortable bike !.
    18" front wheel, but still pretty stable on fire trails.

cheers
  4. Teckhardt

Teckhardt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just sold my Cagiva and got a 950. Guess that is my vote.
  5. sti_rx7

sti_rx7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am talking about selling one of these bikes. I would like to keep both but they are similar in function plus I have a FJR1300. I really need the room in my garage. I love the cagiva so smooth compared to the 950 but not much oomph. I wonder which one would require more maintenance over the long run.

Val
  6. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    I had one a grand canyon and changed it for the ktm got to say mine had the Duke 900 engine and was a brilliant bike but parts were getting difficult to get and the build quality was poor. If you have a great road bike why not keep the ktm cos its superior when the going gets rough and for a change from a road biased bike (grand canyon) just wish I had your choice to make
  7. JoeKher

JoeKher Third world or bust!

Oddometer:
    Sell the Canyon! I'll give ya $1.00. :lol3 The Canyon will be more expensive to maintain and the parts (at least in the states) are a pain to come by. 3 months for fork seals! I love the bike (wifes bike) but I'm looking to get a parts bike in case of misfortune.
  8. murrayk

murrayk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you have to chose one keep the KTM. I traded my Gran Canyon for the KTM and wouldn't go back. The Gran Canyon is possibly more comfortable, is quicker handling on the road, has a smoother motor and the exhaust note from the Ducati motor is nicer. But in all other respects loses out to the KTM
  9. sti_rx7

sti_rx7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :D :D Thanks for the responses I do love my KTM but the smoothness of the Canyon is pure joy. Once I get my jetting straightened out I'm sure I'll love the KTM even more. I do ride 95% on road living just outside NYC but would like to find some off road areas maybe in NJ to ride. For now its winter time in the Northeast and not the best time to sell a bike so I'll enjoy both for the time being. Thanks all

Val:D :D
  10. GODSPEED

GODSPEED finger lickin' good

Oddometer:
    Here is my progression of bikes:

02 KTM 640 ADV
    91 BMW GS 100
    99 Cagiva GC- I pick it up tommorrow
    950 ADV or 950 SE- as soon as I save enough dinero

and I have a 95 620 RXC too.

I say sell the GC and keep the 950, especially since you have an FJR
  11. sti_rx7

sti_rx7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I noticed most of the members on this board are multi bike owners as am I. The question I always get from friends is why? Yes there are different purposed bikes but when I was younger I did fine with one bike. Now its becoming an obsession of having specific purpose bikes in the garage. I've been pondering even buying a cruiser. My big butt can only be on one bike at a time anyway. :D :D :D HELP ME I CANT STOP!!!!!:D :D :D
  12. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    I can SURE identify with your dilemna. my marital health has not been quite the same since I sold my last cruiser and bought the strom [to go with the DRZ and the XR]. There IS a place for a good cruiser and its to ride two-up for sheer relaxation: no athleticism required.... just take the special someone on a leisurely ride, LOW to the ground, HEAVY so you care not what the wind gusts are, DRONING to put the passenger to sleep, and mine even got good gas mileage [up to 50mpg ain't bad for a near 700 lb bike]
    z
  13. sti_rx7

sti_rx7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wonder what I could get for my 00 Gran Canyon? Is all stock except for removing emission crap which I stil have and has under 6K kilometers.
  14. GODSPEED

Oddometer:
    Bags? Tall windshield? Valve Service?
  15. sti_rx7

sti_rx7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No bags, stock windscreen and valves serviced at 3K kilometers
  16. GODSPEED

Oddometer:

I have tried to follow prices the last year. I have seen listed ranges from 4250 - 6700. Don't know what they sold for. I do know 2 sold at the 4250 price. Prices seem to be all over the place. Kinda wierd. I would guess your bike, depending on the day, your location, which way the wind is blowing:D , would be in the 5-6K range.
  17. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    A nice one will still bring 5500-6000 no sweat. I have said it before the GC is the best bang for a buck a guy can get. Having said that I sold mine when I got my 950 and and never looked back but they are a sweet machine. Maybe I never looked back cause I also got a Multistrada when I sold the GC. The Multi didn't get ridden much one the 950 showed up either. Anyone one a great deal on a Ca Multistrada with 10,000 miles?
  18. GODSPEED

Oddometer:
    Just curious how many former GC owners are now 950 owners?

I just got my GC and love it, but...... if I had the money a 950 ADV would be in the stable.

Hope your healing well Greg.
  19. Foto Veloce

Foto Veloce The Free Radical

Oddometer:
    HEY THERE TECK!! I just did the exact same thing! Weird... when I rode the GC to DucSea (for shipment to Arizona) I was thinking.. man.. it feels so *small* compared to the KTM. :rofl Also ran a lot smoother too :p No matter. .the KTM is for beating to a pulp (hell I've dropped it once already and owned it for all of a week!).

Oh.. I loved the GC, killer street machine, rode it every day but not the right bike for Alaska -> Cabo. She'd have looked like doogy-doo by the time the trip was done and that would have been a shame. The KTM is so ugly that it matters not what it looks like when I'm done... oh crap.. I hope the bike did not hear me.. I LOVE YA BABE!!
  20. Foto Veloce

Foto Veloce The Free Radical

Oddometer:
    A lucky guy in Arizona snagged mine for $4k. That's a hell of a lot less than I paid for it (if I include the shipping costs) but that bike was such a joy.. even when I rode it for the last time yesterday... :cry booming exhaust.. torquy motor. But I'm a Toomer now...

[​IMG]