Garmin topo Australia ??

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land' started by atgreg, Apr 4, 2009.

1. gpsoz

gpsoz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    62 mount, interesting point. Haven't heard any thing from RAM on this which is unusual. Make you wonder if they can make one. Just looking at the unit its going to be a challenge.

BTW GPS screen shots of OZtopo V3 should be up this week. Might even do one on a 62 if you ask nicely!!
  2. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    brian, someone posted up that Ram US had responded to an enquiry on this and December was the response but that possibly means it's in the to-do list.

And i have looked at the screen shots of OT3 and pretty please with sugar on top could you put up some 62 pics? :D

BTW, I bought the 60csx from you in January this year after losing the 60cs in December last year. I lost the 60csx off the bike last month because I didn't lock it into the TT mount in the dark.

Can't you make these things last longer?:rofl
  3. gpsoz

gpsoz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And i have looked at the screen shots of OT3 and pretty please with sugar on top could you put up some 62 pics?

Done will be up in the next 20 mins
  4. gpsoz

gpsoz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just doing some playing with Topo Australia V3. For those with Zumo 550's you're out of luck. These units wont read maps larger then 2GB. Topo Aus is 2.8GB on a prelaoded card. All of Australia only via the DVD is 2.3GB

cheers
    brian
  5. rosscoact

Oddometer:
    and......?
  6. gpsoz

gpsoz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ok

if you own a zumo 550 and want to run TopoAustralia V3 you'll have to buy it on DVD and create two SD cards each with less than 1.8GB of mapping on them. You won;t be able to use their preloaded SD card product.

cheers
    brian
  7. rosscoact

Oddometer:
    i was really asking when it gets released?
  8. Muddler

Muddler Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great link. I have now added a raster image overlay to Google Earth, georeferenced it and saved it on my GPSMap62, but my new layer does not show up in map setup, or on the screen. Frustrating as this feature would be really useful. Ive re-read the instructions several times but cant see where Im going wrong.
    Any tips as to common errors when trying to add kmz images to gps's??

9. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    bump

just saw dick smith has the garmin topo maps for only $49, a quarter of the regular price. doesn't look like there's any catch unless they found a few boxes of the old version 1 in the back room!

i've already got the maps but thought this might be worth looking at if anyone is thinking of buying.
  10. gpsoz

gpsoz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lots of V3 (2010) stuff out there these days. V4 is the latest from Garmin. Maybe worth checking as there is no upgrade option from V3 to V4
  11. lowrpm

lowrpm Tar Baby

Oddometer:
    On the ribbon of black, Melbourne, Australia
    Brian, are you saying there is a V4 of the Garmin topo? If so I'd like to get it, but Garmin's website doesn't show a version number. In fact I had to poke around in MapSource to find the V3 on my existing set.

So if I buy online from Garmin now, it will definitely be V4?
  12. lowrpm

lowrpm Tar Baby

Oddometer:
    Oz Topo V4?
    <hr style="color:#575757; background-color:#575757" size="1"> Brian, are you saying there is a V4 of the Garmin topo? If so I'd like to get it, but Garmin's website doesn't show a version number. In fact I had to poke around in MapSource to find the V3 on my existing set.

So if I buy online from Garmin now, it will definitely be V4?

Anyone know the answer to this?
  13. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    it should be, although garmin in their usual lack of customer support don't tell you it's v.4 anywhere on the website.

buy it from johnny appleseed though and it's the same price plus they tell you it's v.4 at least.

you can still buy the old v.3 from dick smith for $49 though. given how out of date some parts of the topo maps are, i doubt v.4 will have much more accuracy than v.3. they rely on govt data being updated and i have a feeling v.4 won't have much more accuracy in the tricky spots. :D
  14. lowrpm

lowrpm Tar Baby

Oddometer:
    Thanks B1. I will contact Johnny Appleseed and see what they say. I have V3 now, and it's ok, but I figure I should get the latest one if its available. You are probably right though about the level of improvement. . . so it's a bit of a toss up in the end I guess.:deal
  15. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    i've just got my hands on a v.4 and if you're not in a rush i'll have look at it over the next few days and see if there's been much in the way of updates.
  16. lowrpm

lowrpm Tar Baby

Oddometer:
    No rush, but yeah I'd like to get some feedback so thanks.
  17. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    i can't give too much feedback as i could only load it on my gps but not on the computer with mapsource to get a decent look.

just did a quick pan through mt mee and glasshouse and version 4 does seem to have one or two extra fire trails indicated that weren't there on v.3. not much to go on but definitely suggests there has been some kind of update with govt data, at least in those areas.
  18. JD

JD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought City Navigator 2014 and Garmin Topo V4 on a 4GB microSD card for $23 including postage from a popular auction site. :D

Around about the same time I bought Oztopo V5 on a 8GB card from GPSOZ, loaded the Garmin maps onto that card and been using all three in my Montana without any dramas.
  19. Young-Gun

Young-Gun KTM Tragic

Oddometer:
    Hey gents, I got my hands on a brand new but older copy of the v3 maps... problem is, I can't unlock them in BaseCamp. I ran the installation on the DVD as instructed and entered the serial number of the device (Zumo 550) online and entered in the Product Key all good.

Then I signed up for myGarmin online to manage my maps and updates etc and I see that my Oz Topo maps are unlocked and what not... however, when I open BaseCamp, it says that my maps are locked and to please click the link to unlock online... I do so, and brings up the same screen for the unlocking that I had used at the first install.... however this time it says that my unlock code has already been used so now my maps aren't visible on BaseCamp....

HELP!!

:ear
  20. gpsoz

gpsoz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi

If you really mean oztopo v3 no unlock codes are necessary. Oztopo v3 was supplied on DVD for installation into base camp and/map source. A preloaded v3 card was also supplied in the package with loaded suitable for the model nominated at time of purchase.

If your talking gamin topo Australia yes unlock codes were needed and for the DVD product one unlock code only was supplied and sounds like it has been consumed.
    Regards
    Brian