Thinking about new Exhaust

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by fxrider71, Jun 29, 2011.

1. fxrider71

fxrider71 ride it don't rub on it!!

Oddometer:
    I am thinking about changing the exhaust in my 07 gs. Whitch is the best sounding? Header or just slip-on?? I am looking for a deeper tone and alittle more sound and power. I am not looking for an anoying dirtbike sound. Thinking about a Remus hex. any thoughts???:ear
  2. Ausfahrt

Ausfahrt Luftkopf

Oddometer:
    I wanted a slip-on can to give me a little more growl without being obnoxious and the Offenbach does just that while shaving a few pounds versus the stock can.

I'm very happy with it.

http://www.offenbachusa.com/
  3. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:
    My personal preference would be Akrapovic or Leo Vince slip-ons, with the latter having the edge due to friendlier pricing. The Leo sounds good to me with out the sound diffuser. In fact, better than the Akra also with the diffuser removed.
  4. jdc_va_usmc

jdc_va_usmc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tag.
  5. mattjw916

mattjw916 never wears lip balm

Oddometer:
    Remus headers and hexacone canister sound great on my '11.
  6. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    I'll never understand why we buy one of the quietest motorcycles made and then spend upwards of $1000.00 to make it noisy when we could just buy a H-D and get the noise for free................
  7. dzeck

dzeck Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    after some homework, installed an Akropovic slip-on recently on an '11 GSA, all good - lost a few kgs and removable baffle for deeper tone if you want. Very slight performance increase. Header would improve the performance gain a bit more but costs.
  8. OConnor

OConnor Bad Juju

Oddometer:
    +1 The GS is the only the 2nd bike I've never had any desire to pipe, the first being a Wee. Something about the extra attention while high-speed touring has always stopped me.:deal
  9. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Wise man.

:thumb
  10. Stinkyb

Stinkyb GS"eh" rider

Oddometer:
    :nod
  11. ADZ

ADZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adding a pipe isn't always about a noise... Crisper throttle response/ more torque etc all positive things in my book..
  12. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    I actually found the opposite effects with a $1,000.00 akro on my 1200 gsa,not to mention the reduced fuel mileage.
    If you put a aftermarket muffler on and want proper driveability then you have to adjust fuel to compensate,or it just wont be quite right.
    I went back to stock and it is so much sweeter than the akro.
  13. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:
    I agree. A more open exhaust means a leaner mixture and more popping and issues on low speed driveability. Add another $150-300 to the mix for a fuel enrichment device such as the Power Commander or BoosterPlug :huh

BUT a more open pipe will give better top end. That was my experience.
  14. Callahan

Callahan Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is the way to go.
  15. Str8lin

Str8lin Keep it moving!

Oddometer:
    I have both Remus headers and muffler and after a year (14,000 miles)of commuting and touring I slipped the stock muffler back on with the Remus headers, wow.... a bit more power @ the low end, less at top end, but drone at 3k rpm is less and more comfortable at speed. I'm gonna leave alone for the summer ( have 6k tour planned).
  16. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have added a Staintune (used, from an inmate). Honestly, at some points of the rpm scale the oem can sounded better. But no denying the weight loss, and there's a neat growl at a certain rpm. But no, wouldn't pay retail for one.
    Jim
  17. DGraham

DGraham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought mine ('09) with an akropovic slip already on it so I don't know what it's like without it. I'm not concerned with, nor can I compare what the performance is with the stock pipe, I can only compare with the R1100RSL that I had. Compared to that, it seems more lively at the top end. With the noise killer out, it's fun around town, and even the Harleys do a double take to see what's up. With the noise killer in, it's more comfortable on the highway...
    Had it not come with it, I wouldn't have bought it at retail. But for maybe 1/2 the price I would have bought one for the fun factor.
  18. hbkramer

hbkramer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I added a scorpion for no particular reason . fuel mileage is 44 avg .Sound a little more than stock ,running lean ,I dont think so -no popping .wt savings ...yes but measurable .... not really.more power- no.
    why , to experiment and at 200.00, I can always send it on to another home if i want to change back to the heavy can.
  19. pgods

pgods Godspeed rider

Oddometer:
    You have a good point. Another consideration, however, is the significant weight loss. My Remus hex is much lighter than the stock. Okay, looks great too!:wink:
  20. gus

gus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know it is funny to say this but the truth is Harleys are quiet stock just like all bikes. Those that don't know or care just put loud exhaust systems on (for up to $1000) and lose performance. To make the bike run right they have to change the air cleaner and add a fuel management tuner or retune the stock ECM. Some slipons can be tuned to work with a stock bike. I would ask the manufacturer. I had a 955i Tiger and bought the off road can and had the factory tune downloaded for $300. It sounded good and was not loud and actually made the bike run smoother. My bikes have stock exhaust mostly because I can spend money on other things more important to me as in Ohlins shocks for my Street Bob and Happy Trails panniers and Throtle meister for my 12 GSA.

All bikes are set up to run lean for the EPA. letting them breathe better and richening them up will make more performance and sometimes better driveability. If the engine is tuned for max performance you may lose some of the smootheness but acceleration is much better. The flip side of that is you put more fuel in and you get less fuel mileage.
    I think the future will be selectable tunes with the push of a button for different riding situations. The technology is here.The flapper in the Buells and the new 12GS cans makes the power more flexable too.