The I LOVE THIS GUN Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by HiTechRedneck, Nov 20, 2008.

1. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How you transport differs greatly between states....check into your local laws if you have any questions.
  2. ShadyRascal

ShadyRascal Master of None

Oddometer:
    Is that a Generation 4 G23? I think some of the early versions of the Gen 4 pistols had some extractor issues that Glock took care of.
  3. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know where I can find this info for several states, maybe in a single source? I would like to bring my hand guns and rifles with me on a trip to Virginia. Coming outta CT, that means, NY PA, MD, WV, & VA and maybe NJ, DE depending on route choice. I would probably take the least restrictive, trouble-free route depending. (if I can even go through NY!)
  4. Boondoggle

Boondoggle Nihilism Matters!

Oddometer:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/

I recall the lines "...advised to use extreme caution when transporting any firearm..." about New Jersey and Maryland (maybe NY too?)

I travel that corridor frequently, going back and forth to Vermont. I am very careful about obeying traffic laws :augie

Basically, locked container in the trunk separate from the ammunition.

Some states have magazine restrictions (10?) and ammo type restrictions as well (no hollow point)- I might be thinking about Mass though.

There is a federal law which allows transport from a place where you are legal to a place where you are legal, so long as you don't stop, but that would be small consolation if you ended up in the pokey somewhere. and it doesn't speak to things like magazine size or bullet types.
  5. Trixie

Trixie Adventurer in my own mind

Oddometer:

www.usacarry.com

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws.aspx

http://handgunlaw.us/

ETA: I would avoid NY, NJ if at all possible. Both states routinely ignore FOPA, and will jack you up if at all possible.
  6. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    Federal law allows interstate transport as long as the weapon is unloaded, cased, and in the trunk or out of reach if there's no trunk. Just don't mess with it while traveling.
  7. Trixie

Oddometer:
    yes, unless you're traveling in NY or NJ.
  8. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    Good News, Brownells updated their inventory and just had now refreshed their online availability. So a new bolt was ordered today. Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I was very down about this as the Colt has a lot of sentimental value.

As a side note, Jacks First still not answering the phone. I wonder if they are still in business?:ear
  9. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    Federal law is federal law in all 50 states. It applies to interstate transport, and preempts state law. This law was passed to allow citizens to transport their firearms through gun-unfriendly states to get to a state where they could use them legally. The kicker is that you have to be just passing through and they must remain locked up during that passage. I carry a lock box in my truck for just this purpose.
  10. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would not depend on websites and such like that for your info....with the current climate it is best to error on the side of caution.

This is what I would do.....and I work for a sheriffs office and I did ask around here this is what they told me:

Call the states highway patrol, ask them.....then ask them where you can go to get a print-out of that info....keep that with you.

This should only come in handy if you have a traffic accident, things get stolen, or someone sees you taking cases out of your trunk and into your hotel room...stuff like that. They suggested that you take the guns in the hotel and leave the ammo in the car locked up and out of sight.
  11. Trixie

Oddometer:

Yes, I get that. Federal laws and all. What I'm saying is that those two states basically ignore it.

There's plenty of examples of people who have been fucked over doing what the laws says they should do available on the innerwebs. The better ones are usually for folks that have flights diverted to NYC that have checked firearms in their luggage.

Go on quoting the law- it's meaningless in those hellholes. I won't crap up this thread any more on this topic.
  12. Powers77

Powers77 2009 GSA

Oddometer:
    Bought the gun in 1992 and still have the original magazines. Has not been shot much until about a year ago. (I'd guess less than 2000 rounds through it though I don't track it)
    I need to check the second magazine to see if its doing the same thing as the one I know I'm having issues with. I originally thought it was likely due to the gun not properly being broken down and cleaned in detail. (wasn't fully up to speed on that) so that was my first attempt at solving the issue. I have since done a complete breakdown and cleaning and it is still failing to extract. Note I'm being very specific when I say failing to extract. The spent round is only being pulled about half way out of the chamber so it leads me to believe that its not properly "grabbing" it in its attempt to extract.
    Been shooting Winchester White Box and American Eagle and it seems to fail with both.
    The only modification to the gun is a Crimson Trace aftermarket laser.
    I did some looking on another "Glock" related site and when others have had similar issues its been blamed on "Limp Wristing" it during firing. Guess that is possible as I'm not super experienced and the problem does seem to come up during the 3rd magazine load and later (when I'm less diligent in my form from the beating I'm taking). If anyone has shot a 23 they tend to be a bit whippy and frankly I don't find it a lot of "fun" to shoot. By that I mean its not a gun I want to put 100 rounds through at a time. But I really do like it as a SD weapon and would just like to get back to where I can count on it to perform. I want to be able to shoot it enough to be familiar with it and have it go bang pretty much every time. Otherwise its going to have to come out of the SD rotation.
    Need to get back out to the range and really focus on form, what magazine I'm using and also run some SD ammo through it again to see if it hangs up with the SD ammo.
    I really appreciate the interest in the problem and welcome any constructive input. As I said, I'm far from an expert on the gun and I'd really like to get it sorted out so I can depend on it.
  13. ShadyRascal

ShadyRascal Master of None

Oddometer:
    From your symptoms I would look closely at the extractor claw. I have a G23 3rd Generation (about 3 years old) and it always extracts. As far as the limp-wristing goes, I'm not sure how much that really is a problem. I reload my own ammo, and for my 40, since I don't like the real snappiness of full power ammo, Ioad them down to about 800 fps with 155 grain bullets. So I'm thinking my loading slower like that would have more effect on extracting than limp wristing with full power loads, and I still don't have problems.
  14. urbancowboy

urbancowboy Vicious Cycler

Oddometer:

limp wristing could be a problem, but i would think that is something you would have experienced when you bought the gun years ago. however, it sounds like you don't like shooting that caliber, so you might consider switching to a 9mm glock that you'll enjoy more.

can you have someone else shoot the gun? that way you could rule out the limp wristing thing.

especially if you've kept them loaded up, the magazine springs should be replaced after all those years. glock has also upgraded the followers (part on top of the spring) so you should just replace the whole magazine.

good news is, once you've safely unloaded gun, there's nothing you can do to hurt it or yourself.

look around online and order a glock tool ($8). watch a few youtube videos that show how to disassemble the gun. when you order the tool, also order an extractor and springs. if you're going to keep the gun, might as well replace all the small wear items.

including new magazines, you'll spend closer to $50 than $100. in the process of taking it apart and putting it back together, you can give it a really good cleaning. i'd be really surprised if you have any hiccups after that.

back to my first point though, if you don't enjoy shooting 40 cal, i don't think it's worth it to own that gun. sell it and buy a glock 19 (9mm). if you're going to carry a pistol, you should be really comfortable practicing with it. if you're flinching, limp wristing, or otherwise anticipating the recoil, you'll never be a good shooter.

some might say, just buy a revolver. not bad advice. but you'll still need to have good form in order to hit your target. i've seen new shooters unable to hit a full size target from 10 feet because they anticipate the bang and jerk the gun when they pull the trigger.
  15. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
  16. Andyinhilo

Andyinhilo Long timer

Oddometer:
    The two LE agencies I have worked for issue Glocks. I have personally seen and experienced numerous extractor failures, so I would replace it as a matter of course. Magazines are another area of concern, check the springs frequently.

If you are going to trust your life on a Glock (or any other auto pistol, for that matter) keep up with malfunction drills, so that clearing jams is second nature.

However, if the extractor breaks, tap, rack, bang won't mean much.

Usually, limp wristing results in a stovepipe, but in extreme cases can cause short stroking causing the pistol to close on the spent case.
  17. Powers77

Powers77 2009 GSA

Oddometer:
  18. gofast1320

gofast1320 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buddy of mines 23 was doing that. We cleaned it and lubed the shiny spots and that seemed to clear it up when he holds the gun tightly., He tends to load rounds to the higher side of performance (too damned hot in my opinion) as to ShadyRascal's lightening up. I think that affects his shooting as the battering gets the gun loose in his hand. I have never had a hang-up while shooting his gun with his loads- I refuse to shoot them in my 22,35,or 26.

I call bullshit on the mag springs being bad or set or whatever the catchphrase being used now-They are like unicorns, people talk about them but unless its an older gun with the flat spring in the mag, they just don't hardly happen
    Maybe a dirty mag.
    If I have a mag fail to feed it gets one chance, I take them apart, clean them and reassemble them. If the mag lips or follower are jacked they go away.
    My armorer once brought me a box full of Beretta mags and told me he had to destroy them because they'd been left loaded too long and had taken a set. He began to demonstrate by thumbing rounds out of the magazine and after 3 or 4 rounds the follower would hang inside the mag. Some other armorer was checking some mags and this occurred. He documented this horror and sent it to higher higher resulting in a message to check for this horrific problem and follow up with a message acknowledging it had been done and corrective action taken, including number of replacement mags needed. This was his proof that the mags springs were all bad.
    I took the mag and bumped it way less than it would have bumped in a firing gun and the follower threw the bullet right up to the top of the mag. I told him to unload all of them, disassemble and clean them, reload and hand check and then run a mag through each during pistol quals. NONE FAILED.
  19. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    So I had a chance to try your idea today. Not bad but I think the cost in materials is more than it would cost to just buy the targets at Walmart. :D I think it's a great idea for specialty targets with a unique shape. I'll post up some video in a bit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsbFRCKBZIU
  20. theothersean

theothersean dirty boy

Oddometer:

glad you liked them , as for cost , I usually buy the cheap paint , under $2 a can and a roll of tape usually goes a long way, and on the plus side I can make the targets typically larger than I can buy them .

this was my latest home made target , made from scrap I had around the garage .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F540Y8RWZY4&feature=player_detailpage