DR650 Shock Rebuild

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by P-nut, Jan 14, 2008.

1. wizdum

wizdum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine went out today as well.
    Also in the lowered position.

The DRZ400SM forks went out to FBI today too.
  2. rpet

rpet Awesometown

Oddometer:
    mine's going out on Saturday. I am taking the long travel option rather than the lowered! Better to match the impending fork swap I have planned!
  3. ! Danimal !

! Danimal ! --Dan--

Oddometer:
    Long travel would be sweet.....as a matter of fact I dream of all the bikes I would have if i was tall....or even regular height for that matter :/

The forks will transform your DRZ. I have two complete wheel sets and suspension for my DRZ and had them both done by Eddie at Epic Motorsports in CO.....I don't think I will ever own another bike that isn't properly valved and sprug....HUGE difference...wait till you get that SM suspension back :)
  4. wizdum

wizdum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ...I keep forgetting how quick the "reply page" times out...gotta type this again....

I am doing DRZ400SM forks on my DR650.
    I am having 1.5" removed from them to match the current height and geometery.

I scored a set of, like new SM forks on eBay for $250.

And the SM's 310mm rotor.
    I have waited 2 years to research and fund this project....the bike is in the kitchen and the stock front end is going to be off tonight. :evil
  5. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    Thank you folks for all the shocks that showed up! We were a little surprised by the volume (pleasantly to be sure :norton)

We are a bit ahead of the curve... all the shock bodies are back in the shop with the Ceramic hard coat and many of the shaft kits are pre-built. Some of the shocks will be together today. We are short on some parts to do the total volume. Springs are on the way (we needed more than our stock levels could provide) and we are waiting for additional clevis ends that are in the machining center now. We want to prioritize building and shipping shocks to those of you who can actually ride this time of year. We hope that all the shocks will be shipped by late next week. The first ones shipping this week may represent a record for fast turn around considering we started disassembly on Tuesday this week. We are trying to sort out what shocks are short or long, some of the notes were not totally clear. We are very happy and excited about getting this rather large batch out to you folks to enjoy. Thank you again everyone!
  6. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    Folks, Please let us know if you want to do the spring collar upgrade ("Bling Ring") we will do them for $28 each opposed to the normal $39.
  7. wizdum

wizdum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am far from finishing my project so, no rush here.

I run lowered and I am in for the ring.

Question:
    Do you know what color Spring I am getting?
    Just curious.

Thanks
    David SG Ferringer
  8. canuckAME

canuckAME Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just wondering if anyone has ordered the shock upgrade kit from Cogent and installed it yourself.
    Any problems or concerns with it?

Thanks
  9. VooDooDaddy

VooDooDaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rick,

I left a VM on your business #. Also check my PM.

Thanks,

Trent
  10. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    Trent, Your shock is off the Dyno today and has the adjuster ring installed. Thank you! * oops, we just got your new note on the luggage weight recalculation; we will put your shock to the side until the new spring shipment arrives.*

canuckAME, I would prefer this to be answered by a customer who has installed the kit themselves but till then, we sell about 1 in 20 of our upgrades to customers installing their own or taking the shock to a local suspension shop. If you are familiar with servicing and repairing shocks these are really easy to do. If you are not, we do not recommend you do the installation.

The price on these is going to go up but we have now added some additional parts to make the self installation to be simpler as the shaft kit is totally ready to go, pull out the old shaft, piston, seal head assembly and drop in the cogent kit. The work will be the same as doing a simple service on your shock. You need shock oil, a seal head push down tool and a nitrogen fill along with the knowledge of doing the work and bleeding the shock. If you send the shock here you pay around $100 for the work, oil and a dyno test of the result.
  11. VooDooDaddy

VooDooDaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not a problem Rick. I appreciate the heads-up. While the shock was off to you to be rebuilt, I disassembled the swingarm and linkage to re-grease all the bearings, and I am just waiting on some parts to arrive such as new chain slider, and a few other bits and bobs. I'm not in a hurry. It was 17 degrees here today...:huh
  12. rpet

rpet Awesometown

Oddometer:
    My long travel option is back in hand from Cogent. It looks great.

Bling ring was worth the extra $28 simply for the ease of preload adjustment.

Won't be riding it for another few weeks as my rear wheel is out getting laced to an 18".

So, I guess this is a useless post! :evil
  13. wizdum

wizdum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ...no it's not useless.
    Its good news.
    Now I know there is one shock less in front of mine to do!
    :lol3
    ...I am in no hurry, there many cold weeks ahead before I can venture out.

But, give us a ride report asap.
  14. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    Hi Folks,

We have a couple relevant updates:

We have finished all the shocks in the last build, thank you! We also have quite a few more shocks in the shop right now so if there are any more of you who would like in on a group build opportunity, we can include your shock to the build if the shock is here by the 15th of February.

We have a price increase to the basic shaft kit. We have added some new parts to the kit that will make it less work for installations not done in our shop and also replace even more parts on the shock. We are no longer reusing the OEM dust cap or bottoming bumper. Our price has been very low and not changed over the past 4 years and our parts and machining costs have gone up a good bit in that time. Compared to the competitive unit that isn't built to the same standards at $399 our $289 was a real bargain. We are having to up the shaft kit price to $335.

The new cost of the conversion without the Hard ceramic coating (internal and external anti wear and friction reducing treatment) is $445 (up from $399). The group special hard ceramic coating is discounted to $45 from the standard $125 (this is unchanged).

Often, we are able to offer group pricing on springs and fork components and work along with these group buys. We are presently investigating ways to better serve our customers that could and likely will change the ways we offer our product to our DR 650 riding friends. We really appreciate our customers and are happy to have well over 200 of you running our custom shock! Thank you all!
  15. wizdum

wizdum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Looks great...can't wait to try it.
    I dig the sticker too.

Thanks!
  16. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, I picked up a used DR and this is going to be the first of many items to sort out, the suspension. The current suspension is worn out so is there another group buy in the works? Does anyone know? I will be pulling the shock out next week and getting ready to ship to NC.
  17. ! Danimal !

! Danimal ! --Dan--

Oddometer:
    Call them or shoot them an email. Their website is motocd.com ......it's been said a thousand times before but, they're truly wonderful people to deal with!
  18. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    What are the differences between the two (I assume you're talking about the Race Tech shock shaft assembly)? What can you tell us that would help make the decision between yours and the Race Tech?
  19. refokus

Oddometer:
    Perfect, thanks! :thumb
  20. refokus

Oddometer:
    I spoke to Rick on the phone today and this Friday I will be sending him my shock. If others are interested in saving a few bucks then you will need to send him your shocks as well. :thumb