stock exhaust vs aftermarket

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by greenjeans, May 13, 2012.

1. greenjeans

greenjeans man with purpose

Oddometer:
    so my GSPD has a super trap muffler on it and i can't take the volume, my first choice would be a staintune but the cost is over the top, 850 just for the mufler, ouch, but on ebay there is a full stock system for 5 bills, would i regret the swap? and if i just changed the muff and used my headers & Y pipe would it still be stock quiet? thanks for any advice! gj
  2. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take a few plates out of the supertrapp.

It will quiet it right down.
  3. Houseoffubar

Houseoffubar HoFmetalworks.com

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately Supertrapp's are restrictors not mufflers, so the less plates, the quieter it will be, but it will cost you power for sure. There are a lot of mufflers that could be adapted onto the header you have, with minimal expense. One suggestion is a 96-2006 GSXR muffler. These are light, almost free, very quiet, and make great power. A simple flange welded to your headed, and a different mounting bracket will fix you right up.
    There are other options, but this is one I use a bunch.
  4. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:

I doubt the stock can will work with the supertrapp headers and Y-pipe.
  5. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can guarantee it won't. Different diameter and different location. Also a big part of what makes the stock GS system quieter than most is the GIANT collector box. Replace it with a y-pipe and it'll be a lot "BRAP"-ier.
  6. greenjeans

greenjeans man with purpose

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice i will pass on the stock setup and play with the supertrap discs for a little less volume.
  7. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    It is going to sound like some sort of sick airplane no matter what you do.....Just the nature of the beast. IMHO the only thing you can do is make it super quiet (stock muffler) to make that flat drone go away.

I had the Supertrapp on mine and went back to stock.....I sold my Supertarpp used for $400 15 years ago....I bet a nice one is still worth at least that much.

The ST also has lotrs of fibergalss packing taht blows out after a while (in addition to the discs. You might try repacking it to see if that helps.
  8. jtwind

jtwind Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer:
    The stock system is the way to go on airheads in general. Even lots of race bikes use them. HPN tried to improve on the gs exhaust and muffler and couldn't , today they make a $700 carbon muffler that is basically a lightweight version of stock.