Gas capacity and mileage on 1150ADV

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by FatBuoy, Feb 23, 2009.

1. FatBuoy

FatBuoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I ran her out of gas over the weekend. She's new to me so am still getting a feel for her, but have a couple of questions for the gurus.

I filled it back up from empty to the fuel line (full). It only took 8 gallons, even. I had thought capacity was 8.6

Also, I got 273 miles on 8 gallons, so just over 34 MPG. This seems pretty low. I'm not a hot-rodder on it at all. I just ride normally and a good bit of it was at 70MPH. I have an Aeroflow and Jesses, but no payload. Just me riding and I'm right at 200LBS.

Any thoughts on these two? I had hoped I could get a good 300 miles out of an Adventure.
  2. rcrampton

rcrampton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I assume there's a typo and you meant 273 miles on 8 gallons.

I have an '04 1150GS and get 42 mpg with side cases and top case on, going down the interstate at ~70-80mph. The lowest I've gotten is ~36mpg. I was going at around 90mph, had the cases full of ammo, rifles strapped on and hanging in the wind, boots strapped on the top bag... Tourance tires at 36/40'ish psi. I just switched to TKC80's and folks tell me to expect a loss of ~2mpg.
  3. Magilla

Magilla Team Doom Member

Oddometer:
    capacity is 7.8 gallons. as for 173miles thats pretty bad i normaly maintain at least 40mpg at the worst and it only goes up from there. i generaly fill up every 200-240 miles as i normaly ride with an 1100GS. generaly takes 4.5-6 gallons at that point depending on speed and wind generaly. now theres and exception to every rule these are just my generasl observations.
  4. FatBuoy

FatBuoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. Bendmac

Bendmac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ...I'm 6'3, 240# on my '04 GSA...I also run an AeroFlow lower and upper screen. On longer trips, with the panniers on, while I notice a slight decline in mileage with some spirited riding, I don't think I've ever gotten below 40mpg...except once, where I was riding into a SUBSTANTIAL (like 35-40 mph) headwind...with that AeroFlow, it did drop the mileage down and that may have been the only time I got < 40. The biggest hit I noticed is when Oregon went to the $%$^%$^ 10% ethanol...I don't mind paying a little more and finding a station that sells "straight" premium.

How long since the last sync/valve adjustment? Fresh plugs? Clean air filter? Are you babying it and shifting too soon? I know I had a bad habit of that when I first got the bike...shifting at 3000-3500, etc. I experimented and ran the rrrrrr's up to 4000-4500 before shifting and over the course of a few tanks, the mileage did seem to improve.

Tire pressure is the other biggie...I do mostly paved roads, and with Anakees, I'm running 38 front/42 rear.

Bendmac
    '04 GSA
  6. rat734

rat734 Michael 3 Lives

Oddometer:
    2004 R1150GS ADV with 50,000 miles. Always close to 43 MPG (or 46 MPG in BMW miles :wink: ).

300 miles until the light comes on then I have about a gallon left. I've never drilled the tank neck.

Learn from others here how to do all of the wrenching. Try to keep the revs above 3.5K. Don't neglect the fuel filter (it is easy to replace).

Enjoy your new bike
  7. ownst1100

ownst1100 BLUES TRAVELER 04'GSA

Oddometer:
    My 04' GSA gets an average of 43 mpg. Thats with Jesse's, top box and tank panniers, with a stock windshield with a laminar LIP. Thats loaded and cruising at 70-80 mph. Usually fill up at around 240-260. Just yesterday I pulled into gas up just as the low fuel light came on. 285 miles and it took 6.7 gallons to top off, thats 42.5 mpg. Have gone as far as 350 miles without running out and at that point I was really getting worried. Best, 56 mpg while keeping it at the posted speed limit of 35 mph while in Brice Canyon on my way to Westfest. Worst, 26 mpg pushing a strong head when returnibg from DVD.
  8. gus

gus Long timer

Oddometer:
    My mileage dropped with the 10% ethanol gas. And my mileage drops in the cold weather too. I have been getting about 38-40 mpg. In warm weather and with 100% gas it will get 42MPG. Mine gets better mileage in higher elevations too.

Gus
  9. izzy's

izzy's Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2004 1150 GS Adventure. Live in Arkansas at about 250-300 ft. elevation and get 38 to 40 miles per gallon. Anytime I ride to Colorado or Utah my mpg jumps as high as the low 50's mpg. In Arkansas never loaded, out west loaded big time. This is just MY EXPERIENCE, not making any claims. 59,000 miles on the odo. Safe riding, Izzy
  10. Monkeyhops

Monkeyhops Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Dave... I mean FatBuoy,

I always log my mileage. It looks like last year my worst tank only gave me 39.9 mpg and the best was 46.00 mpg. As far as distance on a tank I've always been comfortable knowing that I could get at least 300 miles from a tank of gas before even thinking about filling up.

I always have the Micatechs on the bike and I ride about the same pace as you.

Looks like I need to find the TwinMax and have a tech day!
  11. CA Dreaming

CA Dreaming Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    34 MPG is definitely low enough to warrant a look at why. I had the O2 sensor fail on my 97 GS which dropped the mileage into the 20s on the highway. Besides a good tuneup double check your air filter. Cold weather also affects the mileage on an Oilhead.
  12. Uncle Burls

Uncle Burls open wide...

Oddometer:
    For you guys getting 40+ mpg's loaded, what ccp/jumper (cat code plug-its in the fuse box, or not), if any do you have installed? I'm thinking most of our 1150GS bikes either have the yellow one, the Steptoe mod, or none at all. I've got no CCP & get mid thirties mileage 1up--beginning to wonder if I should try a different jumper?
  13. FatBuoy

FatBuoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL! Hey Andy- Good call. Maybe we can dive in to our valves too? Couldn't hurt. Just let me know. This weekend maybe?

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. Great community!
  14. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will generally get at least 40mpg on mine and always seems to be loaded up with stuff and an Aeroflow. Once you start pushing it past 70mph though, mileage drops noticeably. I think I got around 33 when I did a long stretch at around 90. Methanol in the gas wil lower your mileage, and so will that so-called "low-emissions" crap they sell in California. The Adv tank is 30 liters, or 7.9 gallons.
  15. Uncle Burls

Uncle Burls open wide...

Oddometer:
    Do we get better mileage at altitude because the oxygen sensor is telling the Motronic to use less fuel in response to the thinner air/less oxygen to burn it?
  16. Tucos

Tucos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes. Less oxygen=less fuel. Cold air=more fuel.
  17. Adventure Trio

Adventure Trio Wandering

Oddometer:
    2006 1150 GSA

Sea level (or close to it) at 65 to 75 mpg with Happy Trail bags gets no better than 35mpg. I have adjusted valves and synced tb's and it did not get any better. When I was riding in high altitude for several days (4000 to 8000ft) I was able to get 44 to 52. The GSA sucks on milage because of the lower 6th gear. My standard 1150GS that I had previous was consistantly at 39 to 42.

YMMV

Terry
  18. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not. Sure its squirting in less fuel because each stroke is drawing in less air, but then the "other" brain on your bike is not happy with the performance, so it opens the throttle some more, and you back to the same fuel consumption.
  19. TonyA

TonyA beta tester

Oddometer:
    You get better mileage at altitude because it takes less work to push the thinner air out of the way.
  20. CA Dreaming

CA Dreaming Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not really! Computer controlled engines with O2 sensors get better mileage at high altitude as long as the vehicle isn't underpowered. Less O2 in the exhaust=less fuel being injected into the engine. I've experienced this on every fuel injected/O2 equiped vehicle I've ever owned. The only exception was my 92 Volvo 240, only had 140HP @ sea level. On two-lane mountain roads it got about the same mileage as @ sea level because I had the throttle pinned most of the time. My 96 R1100RT would get 50-55 MPG in Colorado compared to 40-45 in Calif.

As always, YMMV!