Sydney to London on a105cc Honda callled Dot

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by nathanthepostman, May 4, 2009.

1. monkeywaythere

monkeywaythere Scooter explorer

Oddometer:
    right i had a sim prob with a 110 monkey first check your manifold and carb are connected prop ie no leaks then set your needle to the middle setting (circlip in middle of needle) the start her up and screw the mixture screw in until she dies then out 1 and a quater to 1 and a half turns then in theory she should be running sweet as?!
  2. 396

396 low-post lurker

Oddometer:
    Agree with checking the slide for free movement. Make sure it opens & fully closes smoothly. Pinching the cable when getting it back together may have caused it to stick.

As said above, make sure the slide is not in backwards. It's easy to do, and will usually end up stuck wide open.
    When closed, there will be only a small gap at the bottom for air to pass. Maybe 1/16-1/8 inch. (1-3 mm)

Did you remove the idle adjustment screw? If so, maybe it is screwed in too far.
  3. DC950

DC950 Microadventurer

Oddometer:
    great carb advice, but look for the simple first. Are you sure the throttle cable isn't binding somewhere, causing the slide to stick open some? The grip may seem to roll back all the way but it may not. Put your eyeball on the carb as you work the throttle to make sure the slide goes all the way up and down, perfectly smoothly.

This is not uncommon after pinching it under the tank (I had a broken wrist to prove it).
  4. Tompound

Tompound M.M.S. Tommy

Oddometer:
    This happens a lot with these bikes, the throttle cable will get pulled out of the cable seat at the carb and the rubber piece keeps it from going back in the seat, there for keeping the carb slide open. check this or the idle screw if you missed with it,

make sure the length of the cable is correct.
    good luck
    cheers
  5. Machog

Machog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +2 on the throttle cable being too tight, or incorrectly routed.

Another thought, is the throttle return spring working correctly. You twist the throttle to start it, but its not springing back? Soon as it starts, go to the far end of the throttle cable and check to see if return spring is hard up against the idle adjustment screw.

Machog
  6. Dr. Zombo

Dr. Zombo I need a bike ...

Oddometer:
    When you get to the states, you and Dot will have cool ale (no frozen swill beer), spicy home cooking and a roof over your heads in Michigan!:deal

Ride on Dot!:clap
    Ride on Nate!:clap
  7. skeptic

skeptic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My old Honda TL125 (1973?) (probably running same or similar carb), has this issue. The slide in the carby is sticky and will not close from time to time even though you roll the throttle closed. I used some mildly abrasive polishing compound to lap in the throttle slide so it gained a little clearance and would close easier. Since your bike was running fine before, and tightening the bolts to the carb (which might possibly distort the carb body) was not necessary, it would seem that the most likely cause was the routing of the throttle cable. Perhaps you could test this theory by starting the bike up with the tank off or loose and see if symptoms go away.

Thanks again for your updates.
  8. Kent Shaun

Kent Shaun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nate lad, I'd go with a trapped throttle cable, you've had the tank off and I wager that's what is causing your troubles. If it is a carb slide, you can use some chrome polish to help it slide up and down a tad smoother, I've used this method on a couple of my BSA's.

Keep them yarns coming lad, they're GREAT. Hope to have that beer with you in Dover soon :D
  9. WOXOF

WOXOF Just wander'n

Oddometer:
    +1 on the throttle cable. You even commented about having it routed wrong and had to remove the tank again.

Then proceed to the needle settings.

Good Luck Nate
  10. Brainflex

Brainflex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just to confirm, I checked my postie and the front sprocket does wiggle a bit. So thats OK. Carb? as above, great helpful advise there.
  11. nathanthepostman

nathanthepostman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After posting yesterday afternoon I went back to the hostel to consult with the Germans. Andreas had a satelite phone and called a mechanic friend back home who said just about the same things as the suggestions on here.

And guess what...

It was just a badly adjusted cable.

It was Claudia who spotted it; getting on her knees and having look down the barrel of the carb with a torch. She said 'that should drop lower than that.' Of course referring to the needle assembly.

So after much faffing and twisling of the adjuster bolt we finally got her right, punched the kickstart and listened to Dorothy sinjg softly in the Bishkek air. It was a moment I thought I'd never hear.

Now doing a bit of admin stuff and then I pack ready to leave in the morning. Dorothy's delay now means we have a week to cross Kazakhstan. They tell me it's nearly 3,000 kilometres; it's gonna be tight.

Thanks a million for all the help with the carbie. I reckon next time I might even be able to fix her myself!
  12. FES

FES Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet! Ride on Nathe and Dot. Ride on :ricky
  13. WOXOF

WOXOF Just wander'n

Oddometer:
    Safe Travels Dot & Nate :beer
  14. Mileater

Mileater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear it wasn't anything too technical and easily fixed :clap

Rock on Dot and Nathan .

Cheers :freaky
    Allan
  15. vOOdsy

vOOdsy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was always meant to be Nate..ride on!!!!!:thumb
  16. nathanthepostman

Oddometer:
    When I took Dorothy out for the test ride she romped around Bishkek like a new woman.

You'd never for a minute of guessed she was nearly and recently been flogged up some big hills. The new sprocket had caused the jerk at take-off, and with it being one tooth smaller it just added that extra little bit of thrust than the bigger one. I know I might not be able to cruise as fast but when I had such a job actually reaching cruising speed with the old sprocket I guess it doesn't really matter. Besides, I still think she should still be good for 65km/h.

As for the needle I don't really know why it's made such a difference but now she idles much more smoothly with the response from the throttle much more gradual and smooth than it ever was before.

My Dorothy's an all new beast.

PS. someone asked about t-shirt's and yup, they're still for sale, just as long as you don't mind waiting a while for them. They cost 10 quid, with four or five of that going to the printer and the rest going to Comic Relief - a UK charity.

Link here; http://t-machine.co.uk/postman/
  17. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
  18. Game over

Game over Haha

Oddometer:
    First off, what is that? and where can I get one?

Second, if you re routed the throttle cable a different way than it was, you may have taken some slack out of the cable and that can make for some odd adjusting. I know you have it fixed, but if you do have more trouble, 1/4" of slack can make a lot of difference. As far as your carb is concerned. The needle is tapered at the bottom end to regulate your air fuel mixture. The clip goes in the top at different positions to help you regulate the mixture.

The needle regulates the air/fuel mixture from about 1/4 - 3/4 throttle, then the main jet takes over from 3/4 - full throttle. The idle jet and pilot jet control 0 -1/4 throttle. (This paragraph is generally accurate)

I'm sure you really want to read about carb tuning while riding, I'll stop, you just keep taking pictures. When you are in Texas, let me know.

Good luck,
    Doug
  19. nathanthepostman

Oddometer:
    Hi Doug,

That my friend is a bell. Not a loud more for show. To get one you have to join an Indonesian biker gang called Big Zoner and promise to open an English chapter when you get back. That, as far as I can see, is the only way to get one.

That or visit a souvenir shop in Indonesian souvenir shop in Java and purchase one.

Sorry if I'm not making sense. I'm updating after two beers and what withe the jubilaiton of having Dot on the road again I'm quite drunk.

Ride safe everyone and remember to give your bike a name.
  20. nathanthepostman

Oddometer:
    Juat posting to say don't panic if we're off line for a while. We've got a bit of a drive ahead of us in crossing Kazakshtan in a week.

The tent's packed so we'll be sleeping in that rather than hostels in the city so not sure how much internet access we'll be getting until we touch down in Ukraine or Turkey, I'm not sure which.

But we're excited to be finally on the move with a country to crack. Dorothy feels terrific with me in no doubt she'll make it to the far side of Russia where she can go wrong as much as she likes. But this next part I need her firing fine on every cylinder - okay the one she's got. I know she won't let me down. We've come too far and been through too much together to pack up as the finishing straight looms into view.

This is it. The race to the end. All the faff and kafuffle is done with, it's just me and Dorothy aiming for the homec-coming date currently peniclled in for the 17th October. Apparently an Australian themed pub in London is going to let her ride right up to the bar to take the drink she thoroughly deserves.

Come on Dorothy, it's time we hit the road....