Returning to the desert – Nevada and Oregon 2012

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MasterMarine, Sep 19, 2012.

1. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:

I think you are absolutely right! :D

It is great fun to use them for what they are made for too! At the end of the trip we are always surprised they made it thru all that craziness without completely falling apart.
  2. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks for reading along LavaBull!

You are going to have to explain this UFO thing. :huh Which picture? I have seen a lot of crazy stuff in the desert but not UFOs...
  3. KarmaSect

KarmaSect The Dude Abides

Oddometer:
    Day 7

Here are my Day 7 pictures. We woke up to a beautiful morning in the hills above the Black Rock desert
    [​IMG]

Due to Mike’s damaged chain we had to breakup into two groups. Scott and Bill went with Mike straight north back to Denio Junction, making it surprising rapidly as Mike gained confidence in his chain.

Dan, Chuck and I were low on gas, so needed to head south to Gerlach. Our original plan was to head south to Gerlach, gas up, then run straight up the Soldier Meadows road and catch up with the other group.
    [​IMG]

As it turns out, we barely made it into town. I was getting poor gas mileage on the 610 due to rich jetting and well…because it’s a 610. Leaving Denio the morning before, I had a full five gallon tank and two quart bottles in my panniers. I used all of that gas AND another pint that Mike gave me. Rolling into Gerlach I was running on fumes – the total distance was close to 220 miles. Chuck actually ran out of gas coming into town.

After getting gas, we stopped and had breakfast before heading out. As we sat and ate, we got an email from Mike indicating that they were already at Soldier Meadows and would be back into Denio without a problem. Given this report, we changed our plan and decided to loop in some of the originally planned route – specifically High Rock Canyon and a run down the playa itself.

The mightly Black Rock playa:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even though Burning Man out on the playa each year, its not a place to take lightly. Without 1000s of naked tattooed people, its very each to get disoriented when even a mile from the edge. The horizon line disappears and its hard to maintain orientation (except for the GPS). I blasted ahead and took some pictures of Dan and Chuck as they approached (once I figured out where they were):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We discovered something we didn’t know about the Duckspanker – he goes berserk the minute he hits flat land:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dan and I sat and waited until Chuck got it out of his system. It took a while:
    [​IMG]

Chuck and Dan and the 610:
    [​IMG]

A few obligatory pictures of the Husky on the playa:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my favorite:
    [​IMG]

We ran about 15 miles north on the playa and then jumped back onto Soldier Meadows road:
    [​IMG]

Came across this. More plates than the last time I was through:
    [​IMG]

Picture of Chuck taking a picture:
    [​IMG]

And finally we reached the gate to High Rock Canyon
    [​IMG]
    I came through this on my KLR in 2008 solo:
    [​IMG]

The canyon is closed for much of the year:
    [​IMG]

Some shots of the first part of the canyon:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dan on the gas:
    [​IMG]

Dan and Chuck check out a cave and show the overall scale of the rocks:
    [​IMG]

The Spanker on the gas:
    [​IMG]

And..our first waterhole. We skirted the outside as it was fairly deep in the middle:
    [​IMG]

And the next one. When I came through this solo in 2008, I was the first vehicle through after the gates were opened and the water in this location was to the bottom of my tank (scary when riding by yourself). This time it was only about 10 inches deep. We made Dan go first again though, just in case:
    [​IMG]

The sky started to get dark, so we decided to pick up the pace. My last picture of the canyon itself:
    [​IMG]

While we had maps and GPS routes, the exit to the canyon was a bit confusing, as there are roads that suddenly start shooting off every direction. Using my vague recollections of my last time through the area, we wanted west until we hit a main gravel road going north/south through the Sheldon reserve (3A I think). We encountered some more wild horses and antelope, none of which seeming interested in running off. Strange.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The run up the gravel road was probably 20+ miles, at which point we hit 140 and had about another 40 miles of highway to get back to Denio Junction.
    [​IMG]

It never did rain, but the clouds that evening made for a spectacular sunset.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The end of Day 7. One more day to go!
  4. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bitchin shot!
  5. Arek Kontrol

Arek Kontrol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ex-pat Poles in Adelaide Hills, South Australia
  6. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 8

June 23, 2012

278 miles (for Bill and I)

Minimum Elevation - 4135 ft
    Maximum Elevation - 7846 ft

Today's Route

[​IMG]

We met a few inmates who stopped into Denio Junction for fuel on Friday night. There was one who stayed in Room 1 next door to us that night. There was also someone else who stopped by. I think he was on a Vstrom or something similar. I did not take notes and forgot their names.

Scott had packed up the night before and left before I was up and about in the morning.

Getting under way. You can see the parts Husky on the trailer.

[​IMG]

It was a beautiful morning for a ride

All of us headed out toward Fields for breakfast. We headed up the highway to save some time and so we could ride with the newest member of your group, Rick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are Rick and I in front of the Field’s Station next to Rick’s bike.

[​IMG]

One of these things is not like the others…

[​IMG]

We stopped at Fields Station and had our breakfast. I hope Rick enjoyed it as it had been a real long ride for him. He had ridden up from LA just to try a Triple-C milkshake.

I think he liked it. :D

:clap

After finishing our tasty breakfast, we headed south of Fields Station.

[​IMG]

Rick continued back down south on his Harley while the rest of us split off and headed up over Domingo Pass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Get out of my way!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We rode on some fantastic roads past Granite Spring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We continued heading west

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some ranchers out on patrol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Loving it!! High five!

[​IMG]

And then we moved off toward the north on Buckaroo Pass road. There were some rough sections!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dan and Mark talking it all over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Must have dropped my helmet again! Dig the new chain.

[​IMG]

We rode most of the way around Beatty’s Butte. We were all starting to wonder where the road was that would climb to the top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mark wants to know when we are going to climb that hill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is the turn. Make a left.

[​IMG]

Finally we did the climb up to the top of Beatty’s Butte. It was a long steep loose climb on a rocky 2 track.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close to the top, I lost sight of the road. As I was trying to turn my bike around, I dropped it.

[​IMG]

Once I stood it up on the side-stand securely, I decided to just leave it there and hike the rest of the way to the top. I thought I was pretty close.

[​IMG]

Here is where I left my bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here comes Bill.

[​IMG]

Time to start walking!

[​IMG]

I mean climbing!!!!!

[​IMG]

What a view!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The remains of an old communications site.

[​IMG]

Bill on the top of the world.

[​IMG]

It was very windy up there!

Chuck

[​IMG]

Mark and Chuck getting ready to compose a shot.

[​IMG]

Found a geocache.

[​IMG]

I really enjoyed the ride up to the top of Beatty’s Butte. It was challenging and really fun. I enjoyed ripping up the grade. It definitely was one of the highlights of the trip for me.

Back down the grade.

[​IMG]

Can you see the road??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Headed northwest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I saw a crazy bunker and stopped to see in anyone wanted to check it out. It is in the upperleft corner of the picture. Also, you can see Beatty’s Butte in the background.

Of course we needed to investigate!

[​IMG]

Self portrait by GoPro.

[​IMG]

Took a long rocky road that turned out to be Black Canyon Road. Must have forgot to turn back on the GoPro. No pictures but this was a rough and long road.

We stopped and regrouped once we were at Hart Mountain Antelope Refuge. I was worried about gas and some of the group was ready to head back to DJ so we decided to shorten the route a bit. We still needed to go down to Plush for fuel.

Made a trip over to Hart Mountain Hot Springs. What a beautiful location!

Went thru the headquarters and then down toward Plush for fuel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopped in Plush to fuel up.

[​IMG]

Dan, Mark and Chuck were eager to get back to DJ and get loaded up to go home so we split up. They took the pavement south to the highway, while Bill and I headed back on the dirt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped at the glass house for a visit. It was unlocked so we took a look inside. Cool place. Someone should adopt it like the cabins in Death Valley.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bill enjoying the view from the deck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We went up this road marked with “Oregon Central Military Wagon Road 1864”.

[​IMG]

Took some pics of the intersection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just 2 bikes now. Past those bikes is a very very long very very very rocky section. The first part is kind of a teaser climb with some rocks. It got much worse. It was a real workout for the last part of the day. I would not recommend it for anyone who does not like rocks! Of course, it was no big deal for Bill and I.

[​IMG]

What a rocky SOB! I wish I had pictures. GoPro was dead and I wasn’t stopping to take pictures!

A cabin toward the end of the rough stuff.

[​IMG]

The Shirk Ranch. By this point, we were out of the rocky stuff. I wanted to stop and check it out but we were running way late by now. We would be lucky if we made it to DJ before dark.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We continued on along the route but eventually, Bill’s air filter was clogged up and we bailed off to the south on Beatty’s Butte Road to the highway.

It was a long and cold slog on the pavement back to DJ.

We arrived back at DJ way after the kitchen was closed. We were bummed because Saturday is steak night. Luckily the other guys had told Bobby we were going to be late so he had some in the oven keeping warm for us. Hooray!! What a great finish to a very long day!!!!

This was our last day of riding and it was great. I can't wait to go and do this loop again. Hopefully we can finish it next time. I really like the run up to the top of Beatty's Butte. That was sweet!
  7. BUSdriver

BUSdriver Pop Copy Manager

Oddometer:
    Looks like fun... sorry I missed the last day.
  8. DUCKSPANKER

DUCKSPANKER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Scott, the best part of the ride you missed was Beatty's Butte it was AMAZING! :clap it was the longest hill climb I have done so far and I would love to do it again, the ride started out with a great breakfast with good company and perfect weather but the route was too long and really needed to be done over a few days. Once again not to many pic's but I will share what I have.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The long road to Beatty's Butte.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mike and Mark figuring out the best route to the top.
    [​IMG]
    I took some time to find the right route to the top, a lot of the roads are almost invisible at times, I think we almost circled the base of Beatty's Butte before we found the way.
    [​IMG]
    Pic at the halfway point.
    [​IMG]
    We past Mikes bike on the way up and found a good flat spot closer to the top to park, the wind was crazy hard and even blew Dan's bike over after he parked it :muutt
    [​IMG]
    Mike trying to add a note to the log book with out the pages blowing away.
    [​IMG]
    Mark.
    [​IMG]
    This is were Dan and Bill had to run down the hill to pick Dan's bike up after the wind blew it over.
    [​IMG]
    Mark and Mike.
    [​IMG]
    Mark leaning into the wind.
    [​IMG]
    Starting the ride down.
    [​IMG]
    The wild bunker we found.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The bunker had a good 360 deg view of the landscape.
    [​IMG]
    Views from the road down to Plush were we got gas.
    [​IMG]
    After we got gas in Plush we looked at the map and the clock and it was getting late for a ride into area that would most likely be the same enoying rocky roads we were on like the Black Cayon road was, so Dan, Mark and I wanted to head back to Denio and Mike and Bill headed back to the route, and from Mikes post about the rocks and after what Bill showed us how many parts of his bike that fell off from the 6" to 2ft rocks they the had to ride over for miles I think we made the best choice, Mike was just trying to get more ride time in after he lost a day when his chain turned into a pritzel.

Everyone made it back that night Ok, it was fun watching Bill and Mike's progess online with the spot when we were eating our steak dinner (Every Saturday night is steak night don't miss it one of the best steak dinners I have had in a long time and it was under 30 bucks!).

Dan and I needed to gas the truck up before we head out in the morning and they don't open the gas pumps until 8 am so we got some extra sleep, Mike, Mark and Bill got an early start but seemed to have had some extra time to leave a gift for us. Don't worry Mike, we will make sure you get your gift soon!

On the way home Dan told me he imagined you looked a lot like this guy TP in hand and running around the truck with a evil little laugh!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. liv2rydktms

liv2rydktms Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride! Thank you for emailing us a link. We have been swamped this year, we would have missed it with out the heads up.

Outstanding scenery and route, sorry about the carnage, but that happens on longer trips like this, that camera hitching a ride was intriguing (who'd a thunk it would have ridden there across that terrain?). I certainly loved the photos thanks for sharing! :clap
  10. ugo1st

ugo1st Adventurer

Oddometer:
    more pics from day 8.

Wind was blowing so hard we all to see if it would lift us leaning into it. maybe good because if it was calm I can see where we would have lost an hour kicked back enjoying the "top of the world" view here,
    [​IMG]

the old radio sight used an old icebox staked down with fence posts to house it's batterys, smart really, good insulated enclosure.
    [​IMG]

Mikes give up and walk the rest of the way park job, the rest of us found the way up and parked in the wind, doh!
    [​IMG]

coming back down was kind of tricky in spots
    [​IMG]

the roof of the mystery bunker, nice place to hang out
    [​IMG]

the abandoned glass house
    [​IMG]

four poster bed inside
    [​IMG]

interesting metal curb bordered the driveway, battery led lights mounted on it
    [​IMG]

not sure what this was supposed do, modern art gutter drain or something? wavey steel was definitely a theme in the decor
    [​IMG]
  11. Shadowed_Stranger

Shadowed_Stranger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, that glass house is fantastic!
  12. oregonlmd

oregonlmd Dirt,street,its all good.

Oddometer:
    My group was on top of the next butte to the south, Mahogany Butte, about a week earlier. Wind was absolutely HOWLING.

A couple pics
    This one shows the three XR650R's of our group parked on top in the sage and Mahogany trees
    [​IMG]

The mess we rode through to get to the top
    [​IMG]

And looking north toward Beatys Butte
    [​IMG]

About where MasterMarine seemed to have lost the track, the trick to getting to the top is to keep circling toward the top in a clockwise direction - looking down on the peak. You'll then get to a somewhat flatter area just off the south side of the peak, then you can ride over the boulders and up to the top.

Awesome pics, thanks for such a great thread and trip report.
  13. oregonlmd

oregonlmd Dirt,street,its all good.

Oddometer:
    When my group was there the week before, the place was all locked up. Now I know for sure that whoever the owner is visits it sometimes.
  14. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool glass house! :thumb
  15. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    Great trip fellas! :freaky:clap

The story I heard on the mystery bunker: Some guy from Grants Pass area bought 300+ acres out there and erected the building. He apparently owns a sand and gravel or heavy equipment operation and had all the gear to build his hut. During construction we saw quite a bit of equipment out there with several shipping containers. Have camped on the north side of the butte many times and was kinda bummed to see his structure now permanently identifiable on the horizon over there but at least he tried to color it sage.
  16. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got tired of waiting for someone else to do it so I posted this one in the Front Page Candidates thread.

This is totally what I am going for on these trips. I think you can even see Chuck smiling in there.

Fantastic shot Mark! :D

[​IMG]
  17. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to see you riding something with 2 wheels again, Dave!
    Thanks for your input. It was a great trip! I love these trips! I cannot wait until it is time to get down there again.

Do you know anything about that weird fence between Denio Junction and McDermitt that we ran across on Day 4?

Have you guys ever looked into the ownership of the Glass House? It looks like it might be owned by the Feds (donated by the original owners). It would be cool to get it set up like the cabins in Death Valley where people take care of it and then it is available for staying in.

Also, do you have any pics of the rough wagon trail road up from there to the Shirk Ranch? That was a bad mother! Definitely not recommended for the big bikes!
  18. KarmaSect

KarmaSect The Dude Abides

Oddometer:
    Day 8

Ok. My day eight pictures. Delayed due to some unforeseen travel. Anyway, we took off from Denio for a nice breakfast in Fields. Mike’s friend Rick joined us on his Harley:

[​IMG]

After several failed attempts at World Famous Fields Milk Shakes, they were part of our breakfast orders.
    [​IMG]

Some shots of the crew (now five due to Scott’s early return to Seattle for work), climbing up out of Fields to our first pass. Mike:
    [​IMG]

Chuck:
    [​IMG]

Dan:
    [​IMG]

Bill:
    [​IMG]

At the top looking west towards Beatty Butte and Hart Mountain:
    [​IMG]

Going down!
    [​IMG]

Chuck motors out into the flat lands:
    [​IMG]

A cool shot of one of the gates we passed through:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Up another ridge and we stopped to look into the next valley. The tiny puff of dust in the middle is the only ranch truck that I recall seeing on the entire trip. He was a bit surprised when we passed him a few minutes later. I love this shot:
    [​IMG]

Another 15 miles or so and we encountered this cool set of rock outcroppings. The clouds made for some really nice shots. If you look close you can see a few of us in the pictures for a sense of scale:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looping around through the rocks at the bottom of the valley we discovered this sign hidden in the bushes – Granite Springs:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike acting as valet holding my bike while I take some shots:
    [​IMG]

And finally we begin the circuitous and convoluted route up to the top of Beatty Butte:
    [​IMG]
    Note the tight formation due to the high winds:
    [​IMG]

Much of the route around Beatty Butte looked like this. Not a lot of traffic on these roads:
    [​IMG]

Going up!
    [​IMG]

Another one of my favorite shots. Dan on the way up:
    [​IMG]

The Duckspanker:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, after winding around the mountain forever, we finally hit the uphill. And what an uphill. Probably 2000 feet of endless climbing up a rough gravel incline.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the top. No, these guys are not retards just learning to walk. They are trying to stay upright while walking away from a 60 mph plus gale over the top!
    [​IMG]

This old refer was used at one point to house batteries for an amateur radio transmitter.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The view from the top of Beatty Butte:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This IS NOT an exaggerated photo. I had Chuck lean into the wind to see how far he could go while supported by the gale:
    [​IMG]

And what photo set would be complete without a picture of my bitchin Husky at the top.
    [​IMG]

I’ll stop there for this post. Still lots more to show of our final day!

Mark.
  19. darenb68

darenb68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great RR guys. Just a comment on the KLR. Despite the extra weight, I have ridden my KLR on the OBDR and several other long routes with little hassle, because I keep the packing weight relatively low. On these trips I think the way you pack your bike is almost as critical as the bike choice itself. My buddy on his BMW dakar 650 for example had a very difficult time on the OBDR because virtually everything he was carrying was in an Ortlebe dry back on the rear rack. After a few falls and a badly sprained ankle, I got on his bike to move it and I was amazed at how top heavy it was, and this is coming from a guy with a 6 gallon tank. It was like riding a wedding cake. KLRs get a bad rap, but they are kinda like donkeys not race horses. They will get you there, just a little slower, but with fewer gas stops......:freaky
  20. tundradirtbiker

tundradirtbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mark, great photos as always