Rebel Yell Canada Creek Ticket Thread

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by BlueLghtning, Sep 16, 2007.

1. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    ......something has to go wrong.

It was still an awesome weekend and some of the best riding I've had in a while, but your luck runs out every once in a while.

I'll post the teaser pics for now and tell the story tomorrow.

It's a bit blurry, but I'm sure you can figure it out.
    [​IMG]

Maybe this will make it a bit clearer. (50 ft from the road and getting ready to head home.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, and thats what they were playing on! 10 more minutes and we probably would have missed them. They had 2 of them loaded already and were getting ready to load the other 2.
    [​IMG]
  2. craftkr

craftkr Wonderer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So what did they ticket you for? Where you all assraping the rare spotted mocking bird? Or is there no riding on that trail yall where on? Looks like you had fun...lol. Can't wait for the whole story.....
  3. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    The actual ticket says "vehicle off NFS roads". The offense is 36CFR261.56 (I think as it's hard to read. Maybe the others can look at theirs). We had just come down that steep Canada Creek trail, so nobody was rolling fast at all. In fact, we were coasting down that hill, so they almost didn't hear us until we got up to them. Their ATV's were just sitting there and thats what I saw first, and then notice the Truck. The officers were down by the road I think getting ready to get the trucks to load the other two ATV's.

If you can't tell from the picture, that is the entrance to Canada Creek right off Hwy 60 that heads up that very rocky incline. As wide open as that entrance is, that's a "closed road" :huh :scratch :rolleyes We had actually come from the other direction and it's a regular road, that turns into gravel, then just gets smaller and smaller. Anyways, needless to say, it's not legal to ride on. It's actually in a wild life management area.

I guess they had been out there all day, but were actually focusing on the local ATV riders, you know non-helmet wearing, tearing everything up, drinking their beer etc, but we just happened to come up on them at the wrong time. Only one of them was actually a federal officer, and the rest were from the state. I think there was 5 or 6 of them, not sure. The federal guy said he would have let us go, but he couldn't do it in front of the state guys. :rolleyes:
  4. kv

kv [insert witty comment here]

Oddometer:
    [cough...bullshit]

5. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Just to tell you how unlucky we were to actually get stopped, that one federal officer with maybe a few others are over 6 or 8 GA counties. I think he said somewhere in the neighborhood of 375,000 acres they are responsible for, so they have a very hard time covering everything. The State guys were from other parts of the state, just to help out with this "special detail day" where they were focusing their enforcement in that area.

Maybe, maybe not, but he was pretty cool with us.

The federal guy was actually really cool and did help us out. While he had "Lucky-Strike" pulled away from the the group, he told him that he would follow us out of there and down 60 to keep the State guys from getting behind us. Apparently they, or a couple of the state guys noticed that I had no blinkers and Lucky was missing his tail light and were going to pull us over again down the road just to screw with us. The Federal guy pulled out behind us and let us get ahead and we all hauled ass.
  6. kv

kv [insert witty comment here]

Oddometer:
    Yeah...that would have been a bunch of horse shit had they done that. They get tasked to seek out drunken rednecks only to go back to the office with a ticket for an equipment violation. :rolleyes
  7. I.P. Freely

I.P. Freely Ragin Cajun

Oddometer:
    Yep. It's all about the dead presidents. Twenty five minutes and $300.00 in tickets, we were back on the road. I still had a great time today. Thanks Flux for being our trail guide. That was some fun shit! I hope to do it again (except for the B.S. ticket!:boid) on legal fire roads. :wink:
  8. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    :dealMang....that SUX!!!

:scratchI don't understand how they can ticket you for riding an UNPOSTED and UNGATED ROAD on street legal bikes!!!!:eek1

You NEED to ask the Judge/ Magistrate for some mercy on that deal.:ddog

(but now I'm a little less dissapointed with my bike selection for the weekend):ricky
  9. GaelicDog

GaelicDog Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer:
  10. lucky_strike

lucky_strike Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. GaelicDog

Oddometer:
    It may be worth a couple of phone calls and try to talk to the solicitor/prosecutor. Sometimes if you make a compelling case, you show them your reasoning they can reduce your ticket to a warning. I would think it would be like a speeding violation where no signs are posted. I mean, how do we know they were not in error? Not sure where to look first,,,, might be worth it to try to talk to the officer that wrote you (if he was that cool).

If I were in that group that got ticketed I would at the minimum make my case to your senator and/or representative and let them make the inquiries on your behalf. I do not want to ride on private property or closed roads/trails but by GOD there has to be a sign, gate or at the minimum a deterant to give me a hint it's closed.
  12. tennisman

tennisman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, if only you could've gotten the ossifer to give the ADV salute in the group pic, you boys would be famous!!! :rofl

Sounds like a judge needs to see some pix showing the road to gravel to trail sequence...

Lance
  13. lucky_strike

lucky_strike Long timer

Oddometer:

i agree but first of all i have no idea were to even begin with that process, second i only have 30 days to pay the ticket or there is a federal warrent issued to me. (f that). i wish i had the time to set up a crt case and argue my case, but i neither have that or the money.
  14. Pengaleng

Pengaleng Hellbilly Peckerwood

Oddometer:
    Yes those were ATV tracks that I saw the day before on Canada Creek at the log x'ing.

Also, if it is a closed access road. Why is it marked as a forest service road on the state map and then why does the Federal Wildlike Management Agency not show that same road (Canada Creek) as being in the Wildlife Management Area? For Dog's sake. The road has a state road sign on it off of FSR 42 and is it called Canada Creek Road.

Also, I had a great time and I'm sorry ya'll got stopped. I should have been there with you.
  15. blackbirdzach

blackbirdzach Daily Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't believe you guys got ticketed for riding Canada Creek. I would never have guessed that it was not legal. That sux.
  16. blackbirdzach

blackbirdzach Daily Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agreed 100%.
  17. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    You are definitely right on that one. Of all the places we ride up there, that one was the least of my worries. There is absolutely no signs on either end of that trail and Pengaleng is correct that it actually starts off a name road called Canada Creek.

I'm not sure when they first heard us and knew we were coming down. I was the first one down and saw the ATV's first, but they were no where around them, and then I looked up and saw the truck and got a sick feeling in my stomach. Like I mentioned, they were just about ready to get packed up and head out of there, so they were by their trucks. If we would have been about 10 mins later, we probably would have missed them. It never even crossed my mind though to look down that hill and see if there were ever rangers or anything down at the bottom. We had been sitting up at the overlook for a good 10-15 mins before we jumped back on the bikes and headed down the hill. They probably heard us at some point as we were coming down the hill, but you are pretty much coasting down it, so none of us were making a lot of noise. I was a pretty good ways ahead of the other guys, so they actually thought it was only me at first, but then Lucky came behind me and the other guys weren't too far behind him.

I sure would like to find out how they can enforce that with no signs saying it's wild life management area and part of that is on a map.
  18. I.P. Freely

I.P. Freely Ragin Cajun

Oddometer:
    Are you going to pay the ticket or fight it? :ear
  19. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Really, I don't think it's the DOGS causing the attention in that area although i'm sure it doesn't help. They mentioned they were really after the ATV's that are totally illegal and riding in those areas. I had seen a few ATV's up there on Sat myself. Infact, they actually helped me get across that big tree as I was by myself when I got to it.
  20. GaelicDog

Oddometer:
    Is there any specific information on the ticket itself for where to pay it or what court it would go to? I know a lot of DNR stuff goes to the local county seat to be heard. :ear

Was the ticket from a BLM Ranger?

I'll spend some computer and phone time on this one,,,, wrong is just wrong.