jdrocks' rat Versys -“It’s got a cop motor…” TAT, CDR, FTR, and the Big Gravel.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by jdrocks, Aug 24, 2011.

1. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    jdrocks' rat Versys-“It’'s got a cop motor…” TAT, CDR, FTR, and the Big Gravel across Canuckistan.

after much delay, i'm outta here Friday o-dark-hundred, west bound.

here's the bike...

[​IMG]

V649HP build thread here...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644390

stay tuned, should be wild.
  2. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
  3. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ride Hard, Ride Fast! Use that "Cop Motor"!

Looking forward to the journey....
  4. XC Rider

XC Rider Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Bike looks good JD!:thumb I may have to eventually do the 19" front wheel conversion on mine; even though I must say that I kinda liked all the attention that I got with a 130 TKC rear tire mounted up front! :lol3 That and I was not displeased with the way it handled.

Happy trails to you and I'll be checking in from time to time. Unless something crazy comes up in the near future (like a job) I'm planning on heading out on the TAT around the 2nd week of September.

PS Other than the AirHawk, any seat mods? If not, good luck! I ended up picking up a piece of scrap 1x6 on the side of the road in Alabama about 3 days (1000 miles or so) into my month and a half/two month trip up to Alaska just recently. Knowing what I know now, I would definitely spend the extra money on a custom seat. That stock seat was not friendly to me.
  5. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    yes sir, will do.

roosters...
  6. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    thanks.

19" front makes it a different bike, although as you now know, the Versys will get there on 17s. had the same experience when i ran that 130/80 TKC front up there in 2009. talk about a beastly lookin' bike, everyone had to stop by to check it out. people are skeptical, but you can scuff those TKCs right to the edge.

air hawk works for me, good for 1000 miles, no problem.

any questions on the DL1000 wheel, just ask.
    AmbientMoto likes this.
  7. JDMitchell

JDMitchell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Spent an hour going through your build thread and I have to say that you are a talented individual. Good luck and ride safe.
  8. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like an epic trip.
  9. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

No kidding. :thumb
  10. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    thanks, fun to build these bikes. it will fly with the cop motor.
  11. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:

about 13,000 on paper. hoping for some decent weather in the northern latitudes. in other words, no snow.
  12. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:

24 hour countdown window now...stay tuned.
  13. fredgreen

fredgreen Beer drinkin Bluenoser

Oddometer:
    You're not gonna ride that wussy thing to Canada are you:rofl. I think you should have kept that KLR for such journeys. Good luck on the road my friend.....Fred and Shirley
  14. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:

thanks, gonna try. KLR doesn't make enough hp to haul my fat butt around, that said...i sure wouldn't mind having an ace KLR wrench along. you should be going, we could flat out ride. some big wide open spaces, views to the horizon 360d.

if i need CAF SAR, i've got your number.
  15. fredgreen

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the compliment, would love to go, couldn't keep up with the Beast though...I guess the winter will bring me the time to do a heart transplant on my KLR, a new sleeve and 705cc kit is coming my way. Even then I still couldn't pace you with that engine you have. Maybe next year will get me the time to travel a little further. Say hi to the missus for us. Cheers.
  16. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    next time then...with a 705. this storm coming up the coast might reach you. reminds me of riding in the tail end of that hurricane last season and lucking into some shelter at Cape St. George.

[​IMG]

power was out 5 times over night, but back on for my gourmet breakfast.
  17. fredgreen

Oddometer:
    Thought you'd be gone at the crack of dawn.
  18. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    in the RED zone along the coast here, there's just no way i could leave my wonderful wife to face this hurricane alone, so...

i decided on a faux report, ya know, just to get things moving.

"It was a howling stormy night, black as a mine shaft, wind and rain whipping past the eaves, the house yielding to an occasional shudder. The old house was braced, corners to the wind, another chapter in a century of tests, and a certain elegance in the effort. The house was built by the same family of men who built the ships that sailed these now storm tossed waters, and built to last through tests of time and nature, still standing against current threat.

I awoke from fitful sleep, fearsome dreams of old Irene, a nemesis, albeit intruder into the peaceful existence of this household. A bold tapping at the door, aha, i can guess at the being demanding entrance.

I racked a shell into the sawn off 12ga pump I keep handy, there's only one thing in the entire world that makes that click-clack sound. Down the stairs, padding silently towards the door, murderous intent, the weapon in my hands sure to make a bloody oozing corpse no one could ever put back together. Flipping the lock lefthanded, the door swung open with a crash, backlit with lightning, devilish Irene forced her way in. Firing from the hip, the muzzle flash licked out in the dark like an arc flash, a wild tongue of flame and lead leaping towards Irene. Click-clack, then another shattering roar..."

to be continued...
  19. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:

nope.

finished the Ark and got it loaded before lunch. had plenty of material left over, so now i'm working on my new backyard trebouchet, a monster of a contraption. face it, i'm getting off this island one way or another.

i'm not sure whether these things are approved for civilian use, so anyone reading this, please, no cops.
  20. ag_streak

ag_streak Failure is always an option Supporter

Oddometer:
    Boy got talent! :freaky

"Durn it, Mr. Rocks, you use yer tongue purtier than a twenty dollar whore!" :clap